Fire Emblem: Echoes Gets $44 DLC Season Pass

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Fire Emblem: Echoes Gets $44 DLC Season Pass

Purchased separately, the DLC adds up to $51.95 - more than the cost of the actual Fire Emblem: Echoes game.

Nintendo has announced its DLC plans for the most recently released Fire Emblem title: the 3DS's Fire Emblem: Echoes - Shadows of Valentia. Five pieces of DLC are currently planned, and can be pre-purchased in a Season Pass for $44.95, or separately for $51.95. Given that Shadows of Valentia is currently only $39.99 on the Nintendo eShop, purchasing all of the DLC packs is $5 - $11 more expensive than the base game.

The Season Pass will be available for purchase on May 19, though we don't know when the actual DLC packs will be released. We know that the five packs will be: Fledgling Warriors, Undaunted Heroes, Lost Altars, Rise of the Deliverance, and a mystery pack-to be announced soon. If you check out the video to the right, you can see exactly what each pack will contain

"Some packs let you farm for items, experience, or in-game currency, while others offer more story content or add new characters," Nintendo said of the DLC. It added that "Some DLC will be free, and some will be paid," so even players who opt to not purchase the Season Pass can still look forward to some free DLC.

Nintendo has really broken ground with this DLC. Not even DICE's Battlefront Season Pass, which was criticized for being overly-expensive, cost more than the base game itself.

Source: Nintendo [http://fireemblemechoes.nintendo.com/dlc/]

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I remember when paying full price for a Nintendo game actually bought me a full Nintendo game.

thenewguy512739

Feb 14, 2017
WTF?! I genuinely can't tell if this is more insulting than "Fates": it forced you to pay double to get the full game, but at least you got two more campaigns instead of ancillary content.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
LegendaryGamer0 said:
I remember when paying full price for a Nintendo game actually bought me a full Nintendo game.
Well, you already bought the Full game.
3 of the first packs are additional grind maps and extra class, the 4th being a backstory new to Gaiden.

Also you can buy them at separate packs, like every other past 3ds Fire emblem. People is also quick to pile on this, while ignoring there will be Free packs later on.

Everything here is optional. I never bought anything from Awakening and Fates and still enjoyed the game nonetheless.

Total Cost for Awakening's DLC = $50 around $6 each
Total Cost for FAtes DLC, not including the main campaign = $25.98 for 2 packs ($65 for all DLC, assuming you bought 1 copy and all the DLCs)

Nothing has changed, but just because they now have a "Season Pass", they're suddenly *gasp" deplorable.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Kaimax said:
3 of the first packs are additional grind maps and extra class, the 4th being a backstory new to Gaiden.
I remember when that was included in the base game.
Nothing has changed, but just because they now have a "Season Pass", they're suddenly *gasp" deplorable.
No, they were deplorable then too.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
LegendaryGamer0 said:
You are. This is a remake of the original game. The dlc weren't in the original game. The dlc are being made after the fact to expand on the game. The game is still a full Nintendo game. The dlc is just extra tid bits. Hell half of the shit is useless shit for lazy people who can't be asked to play with in the game mechanics. The actual expanded story(all I am going to get) is probably not even a quarter of this price

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Kaimax said:
Let's just compare the newest one then, since it's a remake.
Gaiden with Echoes, (disclaimer, in gaiden chapters is more like the current plotline or arc, rather than just 1 battle.

Gaiden has 5 chapters, each chapter working as a hub for battles. There are 33 Locations on the world map.
Echoes has 6 Chapters, and there are 54 locations on the world map.

So you already have the base game and more.
Let's go back to the newest DLC (Everything can be purchased separately)
-Pack 1, Early game grind map, includes 3 maps, Price 1000 Yen total, bundled at 800 Yen, Free if you bought the special edition.
-Pack 2, Mid/Late game grind map, includes 3 maps, Price 1300 Yen Total, bundled at 1000 Yen.
-Part 3 is OverClass quests, AKA Final Class, includes 10 maps, 200 yen Each, bundled at 1500 Yen.
This is all new to Echoes, and it doesn't exist in Gaiden. Gaiden has 23 Playable Classes, Echoes has 24 playable classes (1 Child class, so you can safely ignore it). So NOTHING is removed from the "base game", yes you can argue that those Overclass quests should be in the base game, but it's an addition to the game not found in the older version, so it being a DLC is justified.
-Pack 4, is backstory for some characters before the main story.
includes 4 Story maps. Price 500 Yen each, bundled at 1500 Yen
-Pack 5
Currently rumored to be a story map involving characters from Fire Emblem Cipher a TCG version of Fire Emblem.
Only 2 maps seems to be confirmed. No Price yet

So, your argument is wrong.
NONE of the DLCs are in the base game, they're all new optional content that doesn't affect the main story, sure you could always argue that its supposed to be in the game already, but you're not the one calling the shots. If you feel that you don't need to buy the DLC to enjoy/beat the game, then more power to you.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/1/1c/Go_fuck_yourself.png/revision/latest?cb=20081220105234

And before anyone tells me it's optional, I remember once upon a happier time where you just punched in a cheat code to get extra experience points. Now I have to pay money for it? No. Fuck that noise. Asking for around the price of the game before the game is even out and we don't even know if the DLC will be any good? Pure unfiltered greed, and I'm already turned off by the idea of Fire Emblem DLC after Nintendo utterly sprayed its load all over the wall with a non-stop stream of the fucking things with Awakening and Fates.

No. Nintendo? Fuck off.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
erttheking said:
And before anyone tells me it's optional, I remember once upon a happier time where you just punched in a cheat code to get extra experience points.
Fire Emblems Gaiden never had cheat codes/secrets to unlock maps or contents (Well, a cheat code to unlock the sound test, which is not a DLC so meh). Like I said, in my previous post, nothing from the original game was removed/turned to DLC. All of these DLCS are new optional content, that doesn't affect the main story.

So you're just getting triggered without any reason just at seeing a game with DLCs ignoring if its optional or not.
To your eyes DLC is just "instant greed", even when no on is forcing you to buy the DLC.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kaimax said:
erttheking said:
And before anyone tells me it's optional, I remember once upon a happier time where you just punched in a cheat code to get extra experience points.
Fire Emblems Gaiden never had cheat codes/secrets to unlock maps or contents (Well, a cheat code to unlock the sound test, which is not a DLC so meh). Like I said, in my previous post, nothing from the original game was removed/turned to DLC. All of these DLCS are new optional content, that doesn't affect the main story.

So you're just getting triggered without any reason just at seeing a game with DLCs ignoring if its optional or not.
To your eyes DLC is just "instant greed", even when no on is forcing you to buy the DLC.
Don't patronize me. After all the stuff they've pulled, a hard mode DLC, figuring out what a villain's deal is DLC, the in-pour of DLC in the last two Fire Emblem games, Nintendo has burned its good will with me on the DLC front. I like GOOD DLC that feels like it isn't pestering me before I've even gotten a chance to play the game and want to charge nearly the full retail price all over again. This ain't Artorias of the Abyss.

If you're happy with it, fine, have the courtesy to not jump on the back of every single person in the thread who isn't happy that Nintendo is trying to suck their wallets dry, and they will try, you can talk about how all this DLC was optional, but they wouldn't be announcing this pass long before the game was released if they didn't want to pressure people into buying it.

Also I remember plenty of remakes of old games that included new content without charging ludicrous prices for it. The GBA Final Fantasy games come to mind.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
kenu12345 said:
You are. This is a remake of the original game. The dlc weren't in the original game. The dlc are being made after the fact to expand on the game. The game is still a full Nintendo game. The dlc is just extra tid bits. Hell half of the shit is useless shit for lazy people who can't be asked to play with in the game mechanics. The actual expanded story(all I am going to get) is probably not even a quarter of this price
Kaimax said:

I remember when this stuff came with the game as an actual expansion on the experience without having to pay twice.
Kaimax said:
So, your argument is wrong.
My argument is correct. This is the kind of content you'd expect to already be there.
NONE of the DLCs are in the base game, they're all new optional content that doesn't affect the main story, sure you could always argue that its supposed to be in the game already, but you're not the one calling the shots.
That is a very strange thing to say, me not "calling the shots". I don't quite get what you're trying to say with that.
If you feel that you don't need to buy the DLC to enjoy/beat the game, then more power to you.
That's implying I'm rewarding Nintendo with my money for this blatant 180 on their previous stance of shipping games complete with no doubt in your mind of the completion state of the software you are buying. Everything developed for this game is on this disc/cartridge and it is the complete experience of this title.

Now? All of this stuff that would have been unlockable 10+ years ago(specifically thinking of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) as an addition/enhancement of the original game is now being sold for more than the cost of the game itself.
erttheking said:
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/1/1c/Go_fuck_yourself.png/revision/latest?cb=20081220105234

And before anyone tells me it's optional, I remember once upon a happier time where you just punched in a cheat code to get extra experience points. Now I have to pay money for it? No. Fuck that noise. Asking for around the price of the game before the game is even out and we don't even know if the DLC will be any good? Pure unfiltered greed, and I'm already turned off by the idea of Fire Emblem DLC after Nintendo utterly sprayed its load all over the wall with a non-stop stream of the fucking things with Awakening and Fates.

No. Nintendo? Fuck off.
erttheking said:
Don't patronize me. After all the stuff they've pulled, a hard mode DLC, figuring out what a villain's deal is DLC, the in-pour of DLC in the last two Fire Emblem games, Nintendo has burned its good will with me on the DLC front. I like GOOD DLC that feels like it isn't pestering me before I've even gotten a chance to play the game and want to charge nearly the full retail price all over again. This ain't Artorias of the Abyss.

If you're happy with it, fine, have the courtesy to not jump on the back of every single person in the thread who isn't happy that Nintendo is trying to suck their wallets dry, and they will try, you can talk about how all this DLC was optional, but they wouldn't be announcing this pass long before the game was released if they didn't want to pressure people into buying it.

Also I remember plenty of remakes of old games that included new content without charging ludicrous prices for it. The GBA Final Fantasy games come to mind.
You. You get it.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Pfff. Earth Defense Force 4 has dlc over three times the price of the game.

I think some farming and railroad sims have the same deal.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
American Fox said:
Pfff. Earth Defense Force 4 has dlc over three times the price of the game.

I think some farming and railroad sims have the same deal.
Yeah but they're not made by Nintendo so it's OK when they do it.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
So the first 2 packs are extra dungeons + weapons, the 3rd gives you more classes, and the fourth is a prequel to the games story.

I would of been interested in the 3rd and 4th packs, if they weren't announced before the games actually out. It just feels like you've cut out parts of the game to earn more money. Also $44 for dlc? Unless the dlc is another game, there is no reason for it to be that high. Even if it is optional, its still a scummy move to make

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
AidoZonkey said:
if they weren't announced before the games actually out.
Remember that this game has already been released in Japan since April 20, and this is the same DLC that we're going to get. So, we just got the news first before the game, While in Japan the DLC season Pass is already available on release.

Also $44 for dlc? Unless the dlc is another game, there is no reason for it to be that high. Even if it is optional, its still a scummy move to make
That's just the season pass price to get all of them, you can buy 1 map individually or buy the pack bundle. Obviously getting the season pass is a cheaper alternative if you're planning to get all of them. Japan got 4800 Yen ($42.59)

Refer to my post above
Total Cost for Fates DLC, not including the main campaign = $25.98 for 2 packs ($65 for all DLC, assuming you bought 1 copy and all the DLCs)

Also if you're worried about something cut, No, I've checked via Serenesforest that the content is still technically the same with Gaiden, with more missions and obvious aesthetics upgrade. Everything on the DLC season pass is brand new content to the game.

RaikuFA said:
Yeah but they're not made by Nintendo so it's OK when they do it.
Yeah, The usual knee-jerk reaction in every Nintendo thread in this site.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
There needs to be an entire games worth of dlc content to warrant that price.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
bjj hero said:
There needs to be an entire games worth of dlc content to warrant that price.
It's optional, no one is pointing a gun at you to buy it.
Pack 1 and 2 are grinding maps for the lazies
Pack 3 is a New Class pack, for getting OP classes that you don't need to get to finish the game
Pack 4, is probably the worth one to buy, as it has some backstory with characters, around 1500 Yen for the Bundle ($13ish)
Pack 5 is not revealed yet.

Total Cost for Fates DLC, not including the main campaign = $25.98 for 2 packs ($65 for all DLC, assuming you bought 1 copy and all the DLCs)

I don't know why only Nintendo threads gets this kind of reaction
I mean Capcom is announcing DLCs for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, they're doing the same thing, but there are no news about it in the escapist, at least not as sensational as this one.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
When Nintendo do things wrong, they really don't screw around do they?

Kaimax said:
I don't know why only Nintendo threads gets this kind of reaction
Because they were the last of Good Guys. Now they are dialing up to 11 every bad play in the Triple A disasticle handbook.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Oh and lets not forget the Amiibos that if you didn't preorder them in time are already on ebay for 20+ pounds each