Fire Emblem Fates - What is the point of Birthright and Conquest?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
With the recent release of Fire Emblem Fates, I have a question; what exactly is the point of Birthright and Conquest when Revelations exists?

For those that don't know - Fates takes place before before even the very first Fire Emblem, even before Marth etc. ever was. Birthright is supposed to be what happens if the Hoisido win, and Conquest if the Nohr are sided with and win.

But even before the release, Nintendo revealed the existence of Revelations, which is the ACTUAL story, and the only version of the story that allows the future Fire Emblem games to actually occur. So I kind of have to wonder...what is the point of Birthright and Conquest if you've relegated them to "What-if?" stories before they're even released? They're basically fancy Outrealm DLC, with Revelations being the only one that matters.

Does anyone know what exactly they do in the two other version to make them relevant? I won't be finding out personally, since I won't be spending my own money on the game and I don't think I'll be getting it as a a gift anytime soon either.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Nintendo have done what if stories before. I'm pretty sure a lot of the Legend of Zelda games are like that. (Not that I've ever played a LoZ game). I don't see how having only one of the stories be 'canon' is a reason for them not to be told.

That said, I'm a little pissed that for all the hyping of a 'choice', the actual choice is made before you even start the game by which version you choose to buy. I know each version is a full story but it's still dumb that they lock you into one route unless you buy the DLC. And I'll be damned if I buy the other storyline DLC before I've decided whether the game is good or not. THAT's the thing that has me asking 'what's the point'- and just because Pokemon's been doing it for 20 years doesn't excuse them pulling a blatant cash grab. Whatever happened to having branching paths within a single game?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Cash-grab. No really, that's it. From what I understand, even the non-special edition carts have all three paths, with shared data. You're just paying for an unlock.

People keep making the argument that we're essentially getting 3 FE games (it's closer to 2, maybe 2.5), if you want to pony up the initial 40 bucks, then 20 for the other path, and 20 for Revelations, oh and another 18, if you want the first of additional map packs to come.

I don't like it. The series wasn't selling so hot before Awakening, and now Nintendo seems to be pushing how much they can get out of Western fans.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Does it matter if both games are "what if..."s? As long as the story and characters are good I mean.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'd go with cash-grab. What pisses me off about the situation is that I want to experience the entire story but I only want to buy one cartridge. From what I understand, the special edition is what I want. From what I understand, the special edition is completely sold out everywhere and even if it wasn't, it's about what, $80 or $90 for a 3DS game? Since it's a Nintendo series that price is only going to increase over time which makes matters worse. I loved Awakening but the fact that this game is broken up Pokemon style and the canon story is DLC being released later on makes me want to just pass up on this iteration. I can pay the same amount for the Wii or Gamecube Fire Emblem...catch up on one of those.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
It's like Pokemon...but with swords.

But seriously, I'm probably going to buy a version and play it anyway. Maybe exchange it with a friend for the other version.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait, the new FE game is suppose to be in the same timeline with Marth universe??? I gonna take that with a grain of salt since other than have certain characters appealing again in another game, it doesn't seen to connect that well (continents names get change and there are minor progress in term of history per say. Also yes I know the classes armours were different in Awakens compared to Marth games but they still stuck in Medevial like setting).

OT- I suppose you could have look at it this way, if Revelation had come out first, there would be some people saying "what if" Noir or Hoshido had won the war (well the avatar having to picked an actual sides) instead of the netural route.

As for me I going with Conquest (come on, it's a FE game meaning wonderful characters and getting you to think about your statergy) but I may go for that pack when you get all 3 eventhought it's expensive (but it's cheaper in the long run?)!

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
The point is one plays like classic Fire Emblems with linear missions, the other more like Awakening where you can roam a map, and do stuff with more freedom?

It's not like it's a pokemon red/blue ORAS XY situation where your game is almost identical aside from a few details. They're made to appeal to certain fanbases, IMO.

Plotwise, I'm not that bothered, I'm just going to see what happens, and go along for the ride. I've not even thought about it. I mean you can add fire emblem characters to the game via amiibo.

I'll probably get all three, starting with the more free form version. I'll get a code that discounts the other version, get that, so forth, so on.
I'd try for the bundle, but I just want the digital versions.

Jan 27, 2011
Fractral said:
That said, I'm a little pissed that for all the hyping of a 'choice', the actual choice is made before you even start the game by which version you choose to buy. I know each version is a full story but it's still dumb that they lock you into one route unless you buy the DLC. And I'll be damned if I buy the other storyline DLC before I've decided whether the game is good or not. THAT's the thing that has me asking 'what's the point'- and just because Pokemon's been doing it for 20 years doesn't excuse them pulling a blatant cash grab. Whatever happened to having branching paths within a single game?
This is my EXACT feeling.

I was hyped for this game. A tough choice between your two families? Do good and damn the ones who raised you, or try to fight the bad from within while damning your real family? That's great as a dillemma.

But then before you can really get the full context, you are forced to choose a side. -_- It's terrible and that's why I'm passing on this game I REALLY wanna play.

The only way at this point that they'll get me to buy it is if they release a demo that goes up to the "decision point", and we can continue from it with the full version. THEN maybe I'd consider it. Maybe.

I'm still a bit miffed, to be honest.

As for the "third path", I'm also kinda miffed by that, especially if it's the Canon path.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
It just seems like Knights of the Old Republic, from all I can tell, but with a third pseudo-neutral option as the canon route instead of using either the good or evil routes as the true routes.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
With the recent release of Fire Emblem Fates, I have a question; what exactly is the point of Birthright and Conquest when Revelations exists?

For those that don't know - Fates takes place before before even the very first Fire Emblem, even before Marth etc. ever was. Birthright is supposed to be what happens if the Hoisido win, and Conquest if the Nohr are sided with and win.

But even before the release, Nintendo revealed the existence of Revelations, which is the ACTUAL story, and the only version of the story that allows the future Fire Emblem games to actually occur. So I kind of have to wonder...what is the point of Birthright and Conquest if you've relegated them to "What-if?" stories before they're even released? They're basically fancy Outrealm DLC, with Revelations being the only one that matters.

Does anyone know what exactly they do in the two other version to make them relevant? I won't be finding out personally, since I won't be spending my own money on the game and I don't think I'll be getting it as a a gift anytime soon either.
Where did you get the Impression that fates was before Marths game? Even if it was, it wouldn't matter because, guess what? 4-5 are before marths games and set in the same world.
Fire emblem 1-5 are in the same world as awakening, with awakening being the latest and genology of the holy war being the earliest. Gaiden aka 2 happened at the same time and a bit after 1. 3 happened after 2.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
If the "choice" was to be made when purchasing the game rather than a few missions into the story, then the story should have been different. Seriously, when you get to the critical moment where the MC chooses his path is one of them grayed out or something unless you own both versions? That's beyond lame. They should have just made two different MCs for the two different games. Just make the entire story different from the start.

Still going to get Fates, but this honestly pisses me off.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
I wouldn't have a problem with the "choice" if we actually got a demo explaining the story and context right up until that decision. I'd say that ship has... met its fate.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Rebel_Raven said:
The point is one plays like classic Fire Emblems with linear missions, the other more like Awakening where you can roam a map, and do stuff with more freedom?

It's not like it's a pokemon red/blue ORAS XY situation where your game is almost identical aside from a few details. They're made to appeal to certain fanbases, IMO.

Plotwise, I'm not that bothered, I'm just going to see what happens, and go along for the ride. I've not even thought about it. I mean you can add fire emblem characters to the game via amiibo.

I'll probably get all three, starting with the more free form version. I'll get a code that discounts the other version, get that, so forth, so on.
I'd try for the bundle, but I just want the digital versions.
This. The real difference is that each game is designed for the different Fire Emblem fans. Birthright is for fans of the new Fire Emblem mode starting in Sacred Stones and Awakening. It features a world map and you can grind between levels. In addition, the game is designed to be easier. Nohr is for fans of classic Fire Emblem fans. There are no grinding and the game becomes challenging. There are also more types of battle instead of just "kill the boss and be down with it" missions. Revelations is built as the "true" story. It's in the middle of difficulty between Birthright and Nohr and features both a World Map for grinding and a larger variety of missions like Nohr.

So the true difference is gameplay, not plot.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
People eat up Fire Emblem content. Many replay these games like crazy. This is a way to deliver roughly 3 times the content in terms of missions, cut scenes, and story for those who want it and are willing to pay for it. It reuses a not insignificant amount of assets so it is cheaper to make game 2 and 3, and Nintendo did pass that saving onto the consumer. Games 2 and 3 are half price.

Basically Nintendo is trying to keep the franchise alive. They know they have an extremely enthusiastic fan base but it is relatively small. Awakening's success forestalled the death of the franchise, but if that turns out to be a fluke then Nintendo needs another plan if they want to keep making money on the franchise.

Instead of appealing wide they are appealing deep. Seems like an interesting approach to me, not sure if it will work out for them.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
It's pretty much a cashgrab, but at least they had a veneer of offering a different experience.

Different stories are one thing, and apparently one has gameplay more in line with old Fire Emblem, while the other has it with a more streamlined system that builds from FE:Awakening.
I haven't played either so can't comment if that's true, though to be honest I am disappointed in Nintendo that this is the route they chose, considering it obliges you to do research on the game beforehand since depending on the version of the game you buy you're effectively locked into whatever faction is on the box, regardless of whether or not you like them after spending some time with them.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Random Argument Man said:
It's like Pokemon...but with swords.

But seriously, I'm probably going to buy a version and play it anyway. Maybe exchange it with a friend for the other version.
A better comparison would be the two Zelda games Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. They're made with the same engine and share a lot of assets, but both games are unique and have their own flavour.

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
Ideally it's to help flesh out the world and tell an interesting "Nature vs Nurture" themed narrative exploring both the nature of familial bonds and loyalty to one's nation.

In reality...cash grab.