Fire Emblem's Corrin is Joining Super Smash Bros.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Fire Emblem's Corrin is Joining Super Smash Bros.

Corrin, the main player character from the Fire Emblem Fates/Conquest will be the next DLC fighter to hit Super Smash Bros.

Today's Nintendo Direct saw the highly anticipated reveal of Bayonetta [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165500-Bayonetta-Coming-to-Super-Smash-Bros] as the winner of the Super Smash Bros. character ballot, and the final fighter to be added to the game. But Nintendo has also revealed that one more fighter will be released before Bayonetta: Corrin, from the Fire Emblem series.

Specifically, Corrin is the main player character from the upcoming Robin [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141335-Fire-Emblem-Fates-Adding-Same-Sex-Relationships], while promotional material mostly depicts the character as male, the player can actually choose Corrin's gender via alternate costumes. Check her/him out in the video above.

Corrin will retail for $4.99 on one platform, or $5.99 for both Wii U and 3DS versions. Just like Bayonetta, he is currently scheduled for a February, 2016 release date.

Corrin's inclusion brings the number of Fire Emblem characters in the game up to six, beating out Zelda (five) and equaling Pokemon.

Those of you who were worried that Super Smash Bros. wouldn't have enough anime sword fighters for your liking can rest easy.

Source: Corrin [http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/kamui.html].

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I don't get the hate for him. Corrin has a really nice move set from what I've seen and it seems to be quite technical similarly to Bayonetta and Ryu. I'm really interested in him.
And people compare it to Zelda.
Well yeah, Zelda has the same 3 character in all the games + a few extra relevant character.
FE has 10-20 new relevant character with each game. The FE cast is far more diverse than Zelda's. It's really not a surprise to see it have more character. I did hope we would get some non-sword user and Corrin does seem to fill in that role kinda. While he has a sword, his dragon form is more similar to a lance user.
Basic A moves are sword attacks, all special moves are dragon form and not sword at all. Calling him just another sword user is doing him a disservice. Same like people called Robin just another anime sword user.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Definitely new for the FE characters. Admittedly the problem is almost all the Lords use swords and there are only so many different styles to that. With Corrin being a Manakete, they mix things up

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Well, it could've been worse. At least the didn't have the gall to charge us for another clone of Marth... again.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
EyeReaper said:
Well, it could've been worse. At least the didn't have the gall to charge us for another clone of Marth... again.
They've actually done an excellent job of de-cloning most of the clones. Roy's entirely a different creature from what he was before, Ike was pretty different from Marth in both Brawl and Smash 4, and the decision to make Lucina an outright new character rather than just a costume (same for Dr Mario and Dark Pit) is... well, they didn't charge us for them, either, so I'm actually not upset about it anymore, since otherwise those slots wouldn't have existed at all.

Robin and Corrin are admittedly far more welcome, having much more on them than just "a dude with a sword", but even Ganondorf is better than just "Heavy Captain Falcon" now. They've done a good job of avoiding the attack of the clones.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
FillerDmon said:
Super Snip bros.
Eh, I'd rather have a smaller roster with each character unique. I don't see Dr. Mario and Lucina and think "Wow, look how expansive the cast is!" All I can see is "Wow, how redundant" and maybe a little of "It's worth it to get a Doctor amiibo". Quality over quantity you know?

I also don't think that Roy/Lucas should be sold for the same price as completely original characters like Ryu when Sakurai admitted that clones and semi-clones are really easy to make.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
How about they release the new FE in English before they try to sell us the PC in Smash :/

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Fappy said:
How about they release the new FE in English before they try to sell us the PC in Smash :/
To be fair, Roy's and Lucas's game never came out in Japan and that didn't stop either of them from being heavily requested to return as DLC.

OT: Eh, Sakurai does seem to have a huge love for Fire Emblem and Corrin is distinctive enough both mechanically and visually that I really can't be mad about this. Plus, as a huge Fire Emblem fan it's great to see this series be represented this much.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
EyeReaper said:
Eh, I'd rather have a smaller roster with each character unique. I don't see Dr. Mario and Lucina and think "Wow, look how expansive the cast is!" All I can see is "Wow, how redundant" and maybe a little of "It's worth it to get a Doctor amiibo". Quality over quantity you know?

I also don't think that Roy/Lucas should be sold for the same price as completely original characters like Ryu when Sakurai admitted that clones and semi-clones are really easy to make.
But in Smash 4, they went with the "Por Que No Los Dos?" route. They were originally going to just be alternate costumes, and rather than do a Capcom and take that time to make them on disk dlc or something, they went "Yo, let's turn these guys into outright characters!" I'd sooner reward the mindset of "give the players more good options" than "give the player few good options" or "give the player lots of crappy options". Those 3 things look rather similar, but are actually quite different to anyone who knows how they work. Likewise, while Dr Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina look and feel like wasted time and energy to the untrained eye, anyone who plays the game can tell you that even their most subtle differences are enough to keep things fresh (and in the case of Mario vs Dr Mario, those differences sure as hell aren't subtle. o.o)

Again, considering that the alternative is that they outright don't exist at all, I'm rather happy to have the choice. Though I'm a bit biased because I prefer the plumber with the PHD, and the Angst Winged Angel over the vanilla versions.

Considering how much -VASTLY- upgraded Roy and Lucas are from what they were, and how they did have to put in work to adapt them, not to mention in order to make them worth buying in the first place (especially considering how many people still have the "Clone" stigma), we'd probably have to agree to disagree.

Fappy said:
Funny story: in Melee, Marth appeared in Smash before he appeared in an English Available Fire Emblem. And Roy outright debuted in Smash before he even appeared in Japan, if I remember right. That just be how Fire Emblem do some times.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Fappy said:
I'd be happy with a release date for Europe at this point, do not want this turning into another SMT4 (also by Atlus)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Initial I just thought he/ she is just a Robin clone (the avatar in FE) but he/ she does got some unquie moves and he/ she doesn't have the tome like Robin.

Also the decision part of the trailer was pretty funny!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Maybe if I dye my hair a wacky color and carry around a ridiculous looking sword, I could get into smash also!

The salt when that Geno costume appeared, though...

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Oh boy... ANOTHER Fire Emblem character. I was desperately hoping we'd get Simon Belmont, but because Konami has gone batshit fucking crazy, there's no way that'll happen. Ugh. I mean... why not one of the various Capcom characters? Like Arthur, or Dante, or Tron Bonne or something?

Props for the optional genders and all, but I bet there won't be a female Amiibo, just like there wasn't for Robin.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Sheo_Dagana said:
Props for the optional genders and all, but I bet there won't be a female Amiibo, just like there wasn't for Robin.
Even if there was a female robin Amiibo it wouldn't be my Robin. Not a fan of the twin-tails and almost chibi-like appearance. (Mine was a lot more mature and regal looking).

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
I don't get the hate for him. Corrin has a really nice move set from what I've seen and it seems to be quite technical similarly to Bayonetta and Ryu. I'm really interested in him.
And people compare it to Zelda.
Well yeah, Zelda has the same 3 character in all the games + a few extra relevant character.
FE has 10-20 new relevant character with each game. The FE cast is far more diverse than Zelda's. It's really not a surprise to see it have more character. I did hope we would get some non-sword user and Corrin does seem to fill in that role kinda. While he has a sword, his dragon form is more similar to a lance user.
Basic A moves are sword attacks, all special moves are dragon form and not sword at all. Calling him just another sword user is doing him a disservice. Same like people called Robin just another anime sword user.
Because basically, they fixed Marth by making a new character entirely.

Seriously, a ranged tipper? Marth and Lucina are pretty much obsolete now.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Fire Emblem Characters I would've preferred;

Cordellia (Lance Wielding Pegasus Knight)
Carmilla (Axe Wielding Wyvern Rider)
Hector (BIG AXE MAN)
Virion (Archer)

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Josh123914 said:
BiH-Kira said:
Because basically, they fixed Marth by making a new character entirely.

Seriously, a ranged tipper? Marth and Lucina are pretty much obsolete now.
How did Marth need any fixing? Few tweaks here and there and that's it. His moveset is good as it is. Lucina on the other hand is a clone so she could use some change. But Sakurai said he wanted Lucina to be like Marth, just slightly different so the change wouldn't have happened.

And I don't know about obsolete. We still don't know how powerful Corrin will be and he doesn't seem to be as fast as Marth or Lucina so it's all about balance. The only really obsolete character are most of the heavy character.

Sheo_Dagana said:
why not one of the various Capcom characters? ...Dante
So the Bayonetta vs Dante match would finally happen. I've seen Dante suggested many times and it would be awesome even if just to face him against Bayonetta.
But I kinda don't want any more 3rd party character. Smash was a Nintendo brawler. Some classic 3rd party, well I can kinda accept them. Bayonetta was funded by Nintendo so I can see that as well. But too many of them... I don't know. I like it but at the same time it kills some of the original magic.