Firefly Tabletop RPG Gets the Green Light

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Firefly Tabletop RPG Gets the Green Light

Get ready to hop aboard the Serenity.

Ok, so Joss Whedon's beloved Firefly TV series may not be coming back (at least not yet, we can hope and pray, right?), but that won't stop you from embarking on your interstellar adventures with the newly announced Firefly tabletop RPG from Margaret Weis Productions. There have been a few rumors floating around about the company trying its hand at the Firefly universe once again, and today brings official confirmation.

"This project is a dream come true for me. I have been such a long-time fan of Firefly," notes company president Margaret Weis. "I look forward to working with my crew to take us all back out into the Black!"

Tabletop fans will remember the company's first swing at the property with the Serenity RPG that was released in 2005. Unfortunately, that particular product met a bit of an untimely end, so it'll be interesting to see how this one fares when it hits stores this coming spring.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
Margaret Weis is pretty cool and all, but the thing people liked about Firefly were the writing and characters. You can influence that with a system design, but short of actually coming packaged with the principal writers and actors there's nothing about a Firefly system that's going to be all that inspiring.

And if you just like the themes of Firefly, you rig up any number of systems for that purpose--my personal recommendation being Diaspora.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Margaret Weis has had a fancy new version of the system they used for Serenity kicking around for some time now (Cortex +) and I bet they've been dying to take a crack at the property again with the new game system. Also Cam Banks, the mastermind of Margaret Weis Productions, is awesomesauce, I'm really looking forward to this.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Mcoffey said:
So what's the difference between this and the Serenity Tabletop? Is it a continuation of the base ruleset or what? I'm kind of a tabletop greenhorn (Always interested, but could never get a game off the ground), so I'm not sure I follow.

Still, more Firefly is always good.
Serenity and Firefly are actually two different licenses. So, MWP was responsible for the Serenity RPG a while back. Now, they're using an updated system for a different license - the Firefly license.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
It's interesting to see there's still some sort of life for Firefly. I would love to see a video game made out of this. Despite recent games, Bioware would be an interesting choice. Both Whedon and Bioware seem to make character focused stories other than a focused on the actual plot.

I'm probably certain some people will point out Mass effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 and say "WHAATT NOOOO BAD BAD BAD GAMES". If there's a few things that ME3 got right, it was character moments. (Pretty much everyone except Vega).

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Well, the Serenity game was absolutely fantastic. The rules were meh, but the Character Creation was the best ever. Just update the people rules and overhaul the ship rules, and I'd buy this with all my money.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mcoffey said:
So what's the difference between this and the Serenity Tabletop?
More than 3 people have heard of it.

Then again, I heard the last one was bad, so I kind of avoided it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
It's interesting to see there's still some sort of life for Firefly. I would love to see a video game made out of this. Despite recent games, Bioware would be an interesting choice. Both Whedon and Bioware seem to make character focused stories other than a focused on the actual plot.

I'm probably certain some people will point out Mass effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 and say "WHAATT NOOOO BAD BAD BAD GAMES". If there's a few things that ME3 got right, it was character moments. (Pretty much everyone except Vega).
I'd like to think Joss was better at characters than the cardboard cutouts from the ME series (And this 9opinion was mine well before ME3 came out).

Thor Doomhammer

Mar 29, 2010
JonB said:
Mcoffey said:
So what's the difference between this and the Serenity Tabletop? Is it a continuation of the base ruleset or what? I'm kind of a tabletop greenhorn (Always interested, but could never get a game off the ground), so I'm not sure I follow.

Still, more Firefly is always good.
Serenity and Firefly are actually two different licenses. So, MWP was responsible for the Serenity RPG a while back. Now, they're using an updated system for a different license - the Firefly license.
I was going to ask the exact same question, as I was at a mates playing Serenity tonight.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Ok, I'm sorta hoping this gets cancelled, to keep it in the spirit of the thing.

Like Duke Nukem Forever, it had cultural relevance as a game that everyone but the most diehard fans and developers knew wasn't actually going to get made...you can't just turn around and uncancel something like that without ruining the whole thing.

So to speak.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
I could go either way on this. I love the old game and the cortex they did just after it (for things like Demon Hunters and Supernatural), but I feel Cortex + missed the mark a bit. Will be nice to see some new stuff for it anyway.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...There was a Serenity RPG? Why am I always the last to know? I'll have to look this one up...

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
Hmm I'll probably keep an eye out for it. If it seems good I might get it, otherwise I'll probably stick to the Serenity RPG.