Firm Asks Microsoft to Stop Dragging Xbox Down

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Azdean Samih said:
Well this is the silly-est thing I've seen in awhile. While their at it why don't they ask Sony to push the Playstation loose.*Rolls eyes*
Sony did that on day one. Sony computer entertainment was formed as a separate entity with autonomy responsible for it's own research, development, product and publishing.

It's the same thing being proposed here as it allows the Playstation to operate without corporate oversight (and allow Sony to wash their hands of the whole project if it went wrong). Of course by now SCE is big and bureaucratic in of itself.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
HG131 said:
Yeah, trust the people who almost singlehandedly turned the US Economy to shit.
Yea. As an investor this is a great idea but as a gamer this is a horrible idea.

The irony is that if Xbox was a separate entity on it's own, the RROD would've bankrupted it. The fact that it was owned by MS is the only reason the 360 didn't go the way of the Dreamcast.... actually the Dreamcast wasn't buried in shame....
Didn't go the way of the Atari.
That was buried in shame, in a secret location in Mexico with the ET game.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
Now that the red ring of death [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101469-No-Red-Ring-of-Death-for-the-New-360] is largely a thing of the past, there seems to only be room for more profit,
Wait, whoa what? really? Is that really true? Or are we just hearing about them less because it's expected? What has Microsoft done to prevent RROD's? Thing of the past he says... I want a sited source on that. :)

[edit] oh yeah, a link to news on this. I shall investigate further.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Considering I am not feeling optimistic that Kinect is the Next Big Thing and add that to the fact that the 360 is starting to show its age, I think this would be a wise idea for Microsoft to do. If the 360 doesn't leapfrog up in sales with Kinect, it is only going to go down, and if Microsoft is still attached it will do a lot of damage with loss of sales, investors, and loss of faith in name placement.
If it does, Microsoft can always keep an investment in the spinoff and still win.

But I don't see Microsoft being that smart anymore. That company is stuck in so deep of a rut they can't see Seattle for the dirt.

Addendum: But then there is also the fact that Goldman Sachs itself makes seriously poor choices based on whatever facts they pull out of children stories. Either case it don't matter as MS ain't going to even consider it.

smut

Aug 4, 2007
I'm sorry but anyone who takes advice from Goldman-Sachs aka "shitty deal" is asking for trouble.

smut

Aug 4, 2007
Mornelithe said:
Tom Goldman said:
Now that the red ring of death [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101469-No-Red-Ring-of-Death-for-the-New-360] is largely a thing of the past
Yeah, it's a red dot now. Typical behavior from MS (basically what they've always done, don't fix the problem...just make it report it differently), but as Metacritic reported, quality doesn't necessarily drive sales up (or in this case down). Queue Microsoft's marketing department, and the throng of silly consumers shall follow.
Actually, the design of the new system is much better with less heat now that the CPU and GPU are one die. I work at a game store and we haven't been getting any RRODs lately (except for older units). Obviously this is anecdotal evidence but our other game stores are seeing the same things. RROD has become less and less of a problem after every revision of the console.

smut

Aug 4, 2007
Mornelithe said:
smut said:
Mornelithe said:
Tom Goldman said:
Now that the red ring of death [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101469-No-Red-Ring-of-Death-for-the-New-360] is largely a thing of the past
Yeah, it's a red dot now. Typical behavior from MS (basically what they've always done, don't fix the problem...just make it report it differently), but as Metacritic reported, quality doesn't necessarily drive sales up (or in this case down). Queue Microsoft's marketing department, and the throng of silly consumers shall follow.
Actually, the design of the new system is much better with less heat now that the CPU and GPU are one die. I work at a game store and we haven't been getting any RRODs lately (except for older units). Obviously this is anecdotal evidence but our other game stores are seeing the same things. RROD has become less and less of a problem after every revision of the console.
There is no red ring on the new consoles, therefore, it's impossible for the newer devices to report the error in that fashion. Doesn't escape the fact that what, 48 million retards out there got suckered in by Microsoft's marketing.
It doesn't matter! A hardware error is a hardware error. And we haven't been seeing any of them from the new slims (or the motherboard revision before that). You claimed MS never fixes anything which is pure unadulterated FUD. Calling 48 million people retards because they bought a console? LOL Did MS piss in your cheerios?

Edit: Isn't the point of marketing to "sucker" in consumers though? But seriously, with any console, it is all about the games, games, games! If there wasn't games that people wanted to play, no amount of marketing could change that. So to act like everyone bought a 360 simply because of marketing is clearly grasping at straws.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Windows and enterprise tools have a much higher profit margin than entertainment and devices. The chaos of splitting the companies would present a huge market manipulation opportunity for Goldman Sachs. Sorry, I mean a better free market environment for honest investors who are creating stability in the economy. I bet that XBox would run out of money and fold as soon as they hit a problem, such as Kinect/XBOX 720 failing or Microsoft investors rushing to sell their investments after the split.

smut

Aug 4, 2007
More Fun To Compute said:
Windows and enterprise tools have a much higher profit margin than entertainment and devices. The chaos of splitting the companies would present a huge market manipulation opportunity for Goldman Sachs. Sorry, I mean a better free market environment for honest investors who are creating stability in the economy. I bet that XBox would run out of money and fold as soon as they hit a problem, such as Kinect/XBOX 720 failing or Microsoft investors rushing to sell their investments after the split.
Don't ya know man, it is all about the invisible magic hand of the free market! The invisible hand knows all and what the invisible hand wants, the hand gets! Our job is to obey the hand!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
smut said:
Don't ya know man, it is all about the invisible magic hand of the free market! The invisible hand knows all and what the invisible hand wants, the hand gets! Our job is to obey the hand!
And if the invisible hand says that most of the money must go to Goldman then that just means that they are the invisible hand's infallible representatives on Earth.

Jul 22, 2009
Mornelithe said:
Why is it every time I see you in a thread about Microsoft you're insulting a remarkably high number of people...

First you insult poor people for being 'lazy', now you insult customers for being stupid...

You realise that Microsoft handled the hardware failure incredibly well.
3 year warranty on all new consoles, most consoles kicked it in that time, they were then replaced by the newer models which have a much much lower hardware failure rate.

And most people buy a console for the exclusives now. So you called 48 million people retards for having an opinion...

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
GamesB2 said:
Mornelithe said:
Why is it every time I see you in a thread about Microsoft you're insulting a remarkably high number of people...

First you insult poor people for being 'lazy', now you insult customers for being stupid...

You realise that Microsoft handled the hardware failure incredibly well.
3 year warranty on all new consoles, most consoles kicked it in that time, they were then replaced by the newer models which have a much much lower hardware failure rate.

And most people buy a console for the exclusives now. So you called 48 million people retards for having an opinion...
wanna add to this that my Xbox was bought in the 1st month of release and It only RROD about 6 -8 months after the warranty expired. I checked the Microsoft homesite and they said that any console that suffered its 1st RROD after the warranty would still be eligible for a free repair.

So Despite my console running perfectly until the 4th year or whatever they still fixed it with no hassel, no "but this but that" and it was taken, repaired and back on my TV letting me chainsaw locusts within 4 days of it breaking.

As a man who once hated Microsoft for the allegedly built in bugs of its OS's I do actually respect their Xbox divisions for how much they care about their customers.

So no 48 million people weren't retarded, it was a calcualted risk.

Buy console, if it breaks Microsoft will fix it for free and this was when the 1st era of 360s was just out. Retarded is paying £400 for a glorified blu ray player then sitting telling Xbox 360 owners from your ivory tower than a marginally better graphics quality justied the extra £150 - £200 sales sticker.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
As much as I like Microsoft[footnote]/sarcasm[/footnote] I don't want to see this split. More money for Microsoft, more money they could be, in theory, spending to make Windows 8 amazing.

Also Goldman Sachs is run by the devil very, very questionable individuals so I can't in clear conscious approve their advice.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
hehe, financial advice from Goldman Sachs, how droll.

Also good to see this thread didn't make it past the first page before some foolish troll came in and called everyone who bought a 360 a retard. Nice to know we Escapists are truly a mature group.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
If xbox was hived off it would get bought by somebody, perhaps EA/Actvision but more likely an Indian or Chinese company on a shopping trip.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Tankichi said:
RROD isn't a thing of the past. They just did a work around for it and even then we haven't had enough field testing to be 100% sure on that. I agree though. They should break away. Maybe then they will have a product i might actually want.
No they didn't. RROD was a think of the past before the 360 S model came out (which by work around I assume you're talking about how the new models don't have red LEDs for the ring of light). It was a thing of the past sometime after the Jasper chipset was released and RROD didn't happen at a huge rate anymore.

Rathands said:
If they break away from Microsoft, can I still justify screaming 'F*** Bill Gates' when the console breaks again?
You can't justify it now. I mean, damn, are people going to still be cursing Bill Gates for stuff Microsoft did after he's dead? "Damn you Bill Gates, the Xbox 15 is a piece of shit! Why didn't you make this thing better? ANSWER ME YOU CORPSE!"

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Mornelithe said:
Yeah, because Microsoft totally didn't give everyone a 3 year warranty on the 360 for /free/ and a month free xbox live if it broke, despite it only taking a week to get me a new one. That's right, a new console that was actually an updated version.

But of course, no, forget that. Forget that the red ring hasn't been talked about lately because the consoles haven't been bricking so much. Microsoft doesn't fix problems. No siree.

Let me guess, apple or linux fanboy?