First Battlefield 1 Story Trailer Shows Off the Campaign and Characters

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
First Battlefield 1 Story Trailer Shows Off the Campaign and Characters

EA has rolled out the first look at the Battlefield 1 campaign in a new trailer.

We've seen plenty of footage and gameplay from Battlefield 1's multiplayer, but almost nothing from the single-player campaign. Today that changes, as DICE and EA have released the first trailer for the game's campaign.

We already know that the campaign will follow four characters spanning multiple theaters of war. Those characters include a fighter pilot, an armor crewman, a rebel fighter, and a "message-runner."

You can learn more about the Battlefield 1 campaign in this blog post [https://www.battlefield.com/news/article/the-single-player-of-battlefield-1] on the game's official site.

Battlefield 1 is coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One on October 21. If you buy the Early Enlister edition, you'll get access three days early. EA and Origin Access members will be the first ones in, as they get to start playing on October 13.

[gallery=6532]

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Please be good. I mean, I'll even settle for decent. I really want to like this game because it's in The Great War, but my past experiences with Battlefield single player has been boring beyond compare. This looks like it has promise, but I will be waiting for what people say on it.

Also--and this could be me being completely off--but did it seem like the narrator was from the U.S.? Because if that's that case, I'm already worried. Look, I know my country fought in the war, but it was happening long before we joined, so I want to play a game where the U.S. isn't the center focus of the war.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I see they still haven't bothered updating their animation system. Can't wait for a campaign full of awkward movements, buggy physics, out-of-place-yet-hilarious facial expressions, and dead-pan stares.

Come on DICE. Your games are starting to resemble Gamebryo games. You can do better. Frostbite should be able to do better.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Please be good. I mean, I'll even settle for decent. I really want to like this game because it's in The Great War, but my past experiences with Battlefield single player has been boring beyond compare. This looks like it has promise, but I will be waiting for what people say on it.

Also--and this could be me being completely off--but did it seem like the narrator was from the U.S.? Because if that's that case, I'm already worried. Look, I know my country fought in the war, but it was happening long before we joined, so I want to play a game where the U.S. isn't the center focus of the war.
There are four characters you play as, it seems two are British (unless the armor crewman is American), one is an Arab female and the last one is probably the narrator.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Actually mildly hopeful for this.

Fully prepared to be disappointed but there's a glimmer of potential.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Eh, DICE doesn't do single-player campaigns that well. The past single player campaigns in Battlefield have all been pretty lackluster, with the Bad Company games being the closest exceptions. The A.I.'s often terrible, I can't remember any of the characters, and the overall experience was just glitchy and extremely dull. It's one of the reasons I wasn't too disappointed at the lack of a single player story mode for Star Wars Battlefront.

Say what you want about Call of Duty being so repetitive, but they did put huge effort into making their story campaigns memorable, at least with everything between Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty Ghosts. They're far from high art and they fly in the face of realism *, but they were still very engaging, and the stories are much more well crafted than Battlefield's. While the main villain were often flat, I actually cared for the protagonists, and I could still remember almost all of their names. And give the games credit, at least the A.I. characters didn't act like complete brain-dead morons.

I wouldn't exactly say that DICE should get to CoD's level, but if they want a story campaign that people would play, then they're going to need MUCH more time and effort than they'd ever put in to their past campaigns. Actual good writing and less bugs would help, but they should take full advantage of the fact that it's a single player experience. But I doubt EA and DICE would bother to do much, they'll just treat the campaign mode as either an optional side-dish for the Multiplayer mode, or something to draw a couple more people into the game.

[sub]* - Seriously, how the hell does Russia have a huge enough navy that can bypass NATO and invade the East Coast in Modern Warfare 2, and STILL have enough manpower to take over half of Europe days after they fail the invasion in the next game?[/sub]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ahhh so realistic now without those pesky females getting involved. Gotta love that realism. Where are the French again? I could have sworn they may have had something to do with this skirmish. Oh well, hooray for realism!! And America!
This does look like the first Battlefield in a long time that they've made a big thing about the campaign. Though the Hardline campaign was alright. But these games take up soooo much hard drive space on current gen consoles, they are often the first to be deleted just to be able to play something new.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
An arabic female... is a main character. I mean I guess this is historic fantasy at this point because that's one of those things that absolutely did not happen. If you want a female soldier, the Russians had female combat battalions. They didn't last long but they existed and from what I remember actually saw some combat.

Also to parrot the person above me. Where are the goddamn french? They were kind of important.