First BioShock 2 DLC Revealed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
First BioShock 2 DLC Revealed

2K Games has unveiled the first downloadable content release for BioShock 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Bioshock-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0016BVYA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970338&sr=1-1], a multiplayer expansion that adds new playable characters, five additional masks and more, scheduled to come out next month.

In a shocking development that surely nobody saw coming, 2K announced today that it has an "aggressive post-launch downloadable content plan" for BioShock 2, the hit shooter that came out earlier this month. The first of the DLC packages will be the Sinclair Solutions Test Pack, which will include numerous new customization options and additions to the BioShock 2 multiplayer mode:

Rank Increase to level 50 with Rank Rewards 
New playable characters Louie McGraff and Oscar Calraca 
A third weapon upgrade for each weapon 
Five additional masks
20 new trials (some trials and masks will only be available after a player reaches rank 41)

Calling Rapture "one of the greatest fictional worlds ever created," 2K Games [http://www.2kgames.com/] President Christoph Hartmann revealed that the company plans to launch several DLC updates for for both the single-player and multiplayer components of BioShock 2 over the coming months. "The fans who waited in the snow, rain and cold for the midnight launch of BioShock 2 have spoken and their message is that Rapture still has many fascinating stories to tell," he said.

The Sinclair Solutions Test Pack is slated for release in March and will be available via Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live for 400 Microsoft Points and the PlayStation Network for $4.99.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Oh for Christ sake. Why did it have to be multiplayer DLC? Most of us bought the damn game for single player like the first one. Please don't "Do a Halo" 2K.

I thought the MP was quite good (considering how bad it could have been) but I got to level 40 and now have practically no desire to play it any more. It was fun, but far too repetitive if you want to level up rather than just play, as you need to hack, research and find ADAM vials as well as completing the trials to get anywhere.

2K's Bioshock team you have managed to do something I never thought possible: Disappoint me.

I was hoping for:
A mission based upon Mark Meltzer and his daughter, he becomes a Big Daddy, but there was a lot of room for a story there.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
Yes! This is great news. I hit rank forty the other day. I think I'll stick with my demon mask unless the new stuff is truly top-notch, though.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Personally I'm glad about this. I love both Bioshocks so more would be great. Though I would've preferred if it extended the single player or added a new separate mini-story. Maybe next time.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
Machines said:
I was hoping for:
A mission based upon Mark Meltzer and his daughter, he gets captured in the game and we never find out what happens to her, it would have been nice for a new mission.
I presume she was the Little Sister with the Meltzer Rumbler, so in that case she would have either been rescued or harvested. I would like to play Meltzer's story through Rapture though, it would have probably been a lot more scary than Delta's.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Aww damn it. BioShock 2's second half disappointed me, whereas BioShock's nearly made me drool over everything in my room out of sheer shock and immersion. It was still a good game, but didn't have the "Umph" as people call it. Multiplayer is shockingly boring though. It isn't bad, it's actually quite good, as others have said, thinking how bad it could have been, but I just find no achievement in it at all.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Machines said:
Oh for Christ sake. Why did it have to be multiplayer DLC?

I thought the MP was quite good (considering how bad it could have been) but I got to level 40 and now have practically no desire to play it any more. It was fun, but far too repetitive if you want to level up rather than just play, as you need to hack, research and find ADAM vials as well as all complete the trials to get anywhere.

2K's Bioshock team you have managed to do something I never thought possible: Disappoint me.

I was hoping for:
A mission based upon Mark Meltzer and his daughter, he gets captured in the game and we never find out what happens to her, it would have been nice for a new mission.
actually he
he can be found with a holotape saying that he was turned into a big daddy to be with his daughter

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Machines said:

I thought the MP was quite good (considering how bad it could have been) but I got to level 40 and now have practically no desire to play it any more. It was fun, but far too repetitive if you want to level up rather than just play, as you need to hack, research and find ADAM vials as well as all complete the trials to get anywhere.

I was hoping for:
But you do get to know what happened to him, he became a Big Daddy. And the Little Sister was probably Cindy. There is an audio tape of it, and I recall killing him.

OT: I think it's a bit cocky to call your own creation "one of the greatest fictional worlds ever created", even if it's true. Anyways, I never cared much for the multiplayer, but it might be fun.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
ZeroDotZero said:
silver wolf009 said:
CrazyHaircut94 said:
I know what happened to him, I just felt that considering all the stuff on the website they made based upon him, as well as the fact he was in the game, they could have done so much more with it. I, as well as most people bought Bioshock 2 for the single player, not for a multiplayer add-on that was clearly made prior to release and doesn't actually give you anything really.

DirtyCommie said:
:(

I dont like this new trend of bringing out short games then charging extra for stuff that should have been in the original release anyway.

Fuck DLC. What happened to good old patches and expansion packs?
Agreed. It pisses me off, especially when the DLC is normally on the disc already and you simply unlock it by buying.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
Machines said:

I was hoping for:
I thought that he might actually be you, since it is stated that you came down to rapture in a submarine by yourself.

Edit: just read a couple more posts and I see this wasn't the case.

Apr 28, 2008
Bah, multiplayer to me was insignificant, never really cared for it.

DirtyCommie said:

I dont like this new trend of bringing out short games then charging extra for stuff that should have been in the original release anyway.

Publishers realized most gamers are willing to pay for this stuff.

Their firs reaction upon learning this was probably "Oh my God, I can't believe they're actually paying for this!"

You know, more or less.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
ma55ter_fett said:
That could have actually been a very good idea if they'd done it. It would have given the story that needed twist which it lacked.

Sevre90210 said:
For only a fiver? That sounds like good value for money if you're into the multiplayer.
Admittedly yes, for those who want MP DLC it's not a bad deal to be fair.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
For only a fiver? That sounds like good value for money if you're into the multiplayer.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Let the milking commence...

By the time Take2 have finished with thier DLC plan, you guys would of paid £60 - £80 for the game.

Unless I am mistaken, unless you buy the DLC you wont be able to keep playing the MP ? Right ?

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Machines said:
ZeroDotZero said:
silver wolf009 said:
CrazyHaircut94 said:
I know what happened to him, I just felt that considering all the stuff on the website they made based upon him, as well as the fact he was in the game, they could have done so much more with it. I, as well as most people bought Bioshock 2 for the single player, not for a multiplayer add-on that was clearly made prior to release and doesn't actually give you anything really.

DirtyCommie said:

Agreed. It pisses me off, especially when the DLC is normally on the disc already and you simply unlock it by buying.
I guess the reason is that they want to reward those who look through the story enough.