First Borderlands DLC Expansion Detailed

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
First Borderlands DLC Expansion Detailed

DLC is coming to Borderlands before the end of the year, though the premise of the first expansion may not be all that creative.

2K Games has released details on the first DLC expansion pack coming to Gearbox's Borderlands. Borderlands is a shweet looking co-op shoot-and-loot (I'm trademarking that) coming to the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC later this month.

Borderlands' first expansion is called The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned. It features an island called Jacobs Cove, with zombies on it, and a guy named Dr. Ned. Okay, there's a bit more to it than that: Dr. Ned was supposed to protect the island's inhabitants, but he seems to have gone a few steps too far into the deep end, and has made them into zombies to keep them alive instead. Zombies are notoriously hard to control, and now players must work with Dr. Ned to cure the inhabitants of Jacobs Cove, while killing as many of them as possible and looting lots of guns presumably.

I love myself some zombies, preferably the old-school ones that haven't learned how to run and chase me up ladders, but this expansion's premise could be considered a little played out. I don't really care though, because Borderlands is the type of game that would actually suffer if it didn't contain an island full of zombies to annihilate.

The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned is planned for release before the year's end, and will be priced at 800 Microsoft points, or $9.99 in real money. As will be the case with all of Borderlands' DLC expansions, it will include new guns, enemies, quests, guns, rare loot drops, guns, and guns.

Borderlands has lots of guns in it.

Source: Press Release via GamerVision [http://www.gamervision.com/gamer/coop/news/article/borderlands_dlc_already_announced]

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Sounds cool, but am I the only one a little nervous about this trend of announcing expansion packs before the game is even out? Wouldn't it make more sense to put those creative resources towards finishing the game before you start the DLC?

Edit: YES, I realize now that the game comes out in a couple days, and that the devs have had time to start on the DLC. My bad.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I love DLC in general. Not all of it because some is a scam but to announce specific details about DLC before the game launches? C'mon it is getting ridiculous. At least Dragon Age is including it with thier CE. Soon our HDDs are going to be full of DLC before the game hits shelves.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
LewsTherin said:
Tell me again why they couldn't just package this into the game?
Because they started making it after the game went gold? Just like with the Batman DLC.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
sgtshock said:
Sounds cool, but am I the only one a little nervous about this trend of announcing expansion packs before the game is even out? Wouldn't it make more sense to put those creative resources towards finishing the game before you start the DLC?
Well seeing as the game is finished by now, and this DLC probably isn't...

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Meh, I could give a damn if it was left out on purpose or not. They need the money, I have the money, and I don't like being bored with a game 3 months down the road. It's a win-win in my eyes.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I dunno, I find the premise rather interesting, provided it lives up to my mental image. Insanely huge numbers of zombies + infinitely customizable guns = *drool*

I'm kind of interested in getting Borderlands and I don't even really like playing co-op.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
WrongSprite said:
sgtshock said:
It is? I thought it was still in the works.

Nevermind then.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
sgtshock said:
WrongSprite said:
sgtshock said:
It went gold this month. Console release is in 3 days, PC on 26th.

Apr 28, 2008
sgtshock said:
WrongSprite said:
sgtshock said:
Games are usually finished about a month before their actually released. They use the month to produce the game and ship it to stores.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Since when did selling the game itself not sustain a game company? I like DLC, but revealing it before the game comes out is kind of a dick move to gamers.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
oppp7 said:
Since when did selling the game itself not sustain a game company? I like DLC, but revealing it before the game comes out is kind of a dick move to gamers.
I don't see it as a dick move, once the game goes gold, they don't make any changes to it and can't add anything to it until gamers have the copies in their hand(via patches), so once it goes gold, they more than likely worked either on patches and DLC, which is normal. Announcing it now, a few days before console launch and a week before PC launch is fine...if it's before year's end, I would expect it around Christmas depending on how far along it is.

And Game company's lately, depending on distribution only see a fraction of the cost it was to them...most games need to sell atleast a few hundred thousand copies before it starts to see a profit. DLC is usually almost pure profit as it takes less time to develop content for something that already has an engine, unless it's like a proper expansion and not just a few levels and some new loot modifiers.