First COD 5 details announced.

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
Sites like G4 and IGN have released the first tidbits of COD 5 information. From the articles the new COD seems to be much darker and possibly more realistic with squad elements added in. It ahs also been confirmed that the game will take place in the Pacific Theater and will be subtitled World War. What are everyone?s reactions and thoughts?

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/page2.html#686106 Link.

Neeko Masochist

Apr 11, 2008
Please, I wish these developers would just let the COD and all bloody WW games alone. It's over, finished, kaput. I'm so sick and tired of seeing all these stupid World War games coming out. Why do the Americans have to keep chugging out game after game after game depicting the World War when half the world just wants to forget about it and MOVE ON.

There are hundreds of games out ther you could be playing, go find a games shop and dig through the Bargain Bin (As it's called over here) I've found some great games which don't involve a World War. Zone of Enders, The Seed: Warzone, Drakengard and Chaos Legion all for PS2. They are GOOD games if you can get off your arse for 5 minutes to pull the stupid COD disks from your XBox, Playstation and what other console you have them on and snap them all in half only to be used as shurikens to kill anyone who ever tried to buy another COD game again. Or better yet, stick on some black attire and go show the developers of COD your point.

Oh, I have a better idea. Join the army and then run through a mine field, then I hope you'll understand that war isn't meant to be a game. Not especially wars which actually happened. You want to play a war game, play Age of Empires, Rome: Total War or play one of the game from the X-Universe (X2: The Threat, X3 Reunion.) Better yet, why don't you play Civilisation 3 or 4. Play Dungeon Keeper 2 if you want something fun, dark and challenging. Play Earth 2150 or it's counterparts if you want to have a serious challenge on your hands, go up against 13 Expert UCS computer AI's then you have your challenge. I have a better Idea, why don;t you go bloody play Homeworld or Homeworld 2, the BEST EVER Space Real-time strategy games.

Tanthalos

Mar 25, 2008
@Neeko: Cause it sells that is why they will never let it alone. In theory taking a life should never be an easy or fun thing and yet people do enjoy their first person shooters.
Would war be fun if they had to do it in real life? No. On the other hand a large portion of the population are not in shape enough to make it that far.

Also why are you down on the idea of shooting Nazis? Are you down on the idea of shooting space aliens, barbarians or anything else? Cause it is all the same thing.

There is an upside to the WW based games that may not seem relevant. With all the reminders that kids get via video games about the existence of the World Wars and Nazis it means they may show some form of interest in history class. I know for example when the War of 1812, or even WW1 came up in history class without context I was bored and not paying attention.

If you wanna stop WW games stop FPS. Otherwise turn a blind eye to it.

I personally am greatly against games like 24 to Life, and the Grand Theft Auto series cause I believe crime is enough of a problem without it being glorified in video games. But it sells which means they won't stop making them.

@Scolar: Much like every new sequel in hot video game lines no matter what happens when it first comes out, the general public will believe it has descended from the heavens to give us all redemption. That is until the next hot title comes out then all the flaws of the last "perfect title" start popping up.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I believe crime is enough of a problem without it being glorified in video games
And it isn't in a WW game? Because by putting a label of 'nazi' or 'enemy' on someone, we found a reason to justify killing?

@Neeko, WW2 video games are glorified and loved by Americans simply because it was the only war where they did actually a good thing by winning. It's really time for game devs to move on, fictional wars with a decent plot are hard to come by, specially one in the modern setting (unless you count CoD4 out or Ground Branch (W.I.P) by Blackfoot).

Dante_Alucard

May 16, 2008
cainx10a said:
I believe crime is enough of a problem without it being glorified in video games
And it isn't in a WW game? Because by putting a label of 'nazi' or 'enemy' on someone, we found a reason to justify killing?

@Neeko, WW2 video games are glorified and loved by Americans simply because it was the only war where they did actually a good thing by winning. It's really time for game devs to move on, fictional wars with a decent plot are hard to come by, specially one in the modern setting (unless you count CoD4 out or Ground Branch (W.I.P) by Blackfoot).
wow lets just go ahead and quote yahtzee. Anyway the world wars are brought up alot because they took up so much time and took place in so many places. So many diffrent people were effected by the wars. If you try to do another modern game COD4 will be every other word out of reviewrs mouths. If you try to do a future type of game it will be compared to Halo. So I say just do a Midevil game with bows arrows and swords. No not really. Just do a mix with all kinds of guns from all times. they could call it COD5 A time for War (Patent Pending)

ccjav

Apr 13, 2008
you know, possibly the developers realized there's some potential in world wars other than 1 or 2, futuristic weapons might be their new direction... then again look what it did to battlefield

Tread184

Feb 29, 2008
I don't see why it such a big deal that theres another WW2 game on the market. It shouldn't matter as long as it's a good game, cause there are a lot of bad WW2 games. It seems like everyone is jumping on this big and popular "hate WW2" train. WW2 still provides potential for good gameplay and great stories. Besides, it's a WW2 game based IN THE PACIFIC THEATER! THATS SOMETHING NEW AND LARGELY UNEXPLORED! I look forward to this latest WW2 based COD, then they need to choose another time period, maybe make a sequel to COD4.

kungfujoe

May 22, 2008
Wow...intense backlash. You guys need to change your tampons.

WW games are fun. isn't that enough? Sure they really happened, but games were named that were also based on real events (Age of Empires, Rome:Total War). So we can start playing our WW games in about 1000 years without upsetting you?

And enough of this bollocks about the US and our wars. Makes me grumpy. I still think we are doing a good thing, and some of you are sounding French (and no, that ISN'T a compliment).

Anyway. If it's fun, I play it. GTA is fun, I don't care if it involves crime, it's fun. CoD is generally based on WWII, and they are fun. I don't care that we've revisited WWII a million times, if it's fun, it's fun. Hyper-analyzing things is for old people.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
Umm, I think we should back off.

They got the CoD4 engine up and running on the Wii. That, in itself, is amazing. The next step would be seeing if Source works on the Wii, Unreal engine 2, ect. This could be a LOT better than we think.

Gooble

May 9, 2008
WW2 is always, until every theatre's been exhausted, going to be a major part of FPS gaming. And seeing as no one's really done the Pacific theatre, and considering the intensity of both the fighting in CoD games and the RL fighting in the Pacific, it should be a seriously scary/tense/intense game.

And the carry-over of the perks from CoD4 should be cool too

Kazos

Apr 9, 2008
Neeko Masochist said:
Please, I wish these developers would just let the COD and all bloody WW games alone. It's over, finished, kaput. I'm so sick and tired of seeing all these stupid World War games coming out. Why do the Americans have to keep chugging out game after game after game depicting the World War when half the world just wants to forget about it and MOVE ON.

There are hundreds of games out ther you could be playing, go find a games shop and dig through the Bargain Bin (As it's called over here) I've found some great games which don't involve a World War. Zone of Enders, The Seed: Warzone, Drakengard and Chaos Legion all for PS2. They are GOOD games if you can get off your arse for 5 minutes to pull the stupid COD disks from your XBox, Playstation and what other console you have them on and snap them all in half only to be used as shurikens to kill anyone who ever tried to buy another COD game again. Or better yet, stick on some black attire and go show the developers of COD your point.

Oh, I have a better idea. Join the army and then run through a mine field, then I hope you'll understand that war isn't meant to be a game. Not especially wars which actually happened. You want to play a war game, play Age of Empires, Rome: Total War or play one of the game from the X-Universe (X2: The Threat, X3 Reunion.) Better yet, why don't you play Civilisation 3 or 4. Play Dungeon Keeper 2 if you want something fun, dark and challenging. Play Earth 2150 or it's counterparts if you want to have a serious challenge on your hands, go up against 13 Expert UCS computer AI's then you have your challenge. I have a better Idea, why don;t you go bloody play Homeworld or Homeworld 2, the BEST EVER Space Real-time strategy games.
It sells,
and its the only war America ever did good/won against another country.

BLERGER

Jun 11, 2008
Hello, and pardon me if I'm wrong, but after checking with the link that Scholar Visari so kindly provided.
(http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/page2.html#686106 Link.),

After a bit of digging around, I found out that "contrary to past reports, the title may not return to the World War II setting featured in the first three Call of Duty titles."
(http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52603)

Now, I'm not denying that WWII sells more games than anything else EVER in the history of EVER. Not by FAR. WWII is (and for the forseeable future, will be) the only American "war" that HASN'T turned into a complete and total goatfuck. So what do you do to non-goatfucks? You milk them until they fall over and die from malnutrition.

-Arsundiil

mwhite67

Mar 19, 2008
why do people want to keep playing these shooters with nothing but old fashioned shitty guns in them? I dont understand I hate ww2 games.

tcpballa93

Jun 11, 2008
wow i love how much anti American sentiment is on these forums, because its not like we didnt keep comunism out of sout korea and at least try in vietnam or end slavery in our own country or overthrow horrible middle eastern regimes that tortue and kill their own people no we didnt do that at all. at least we tried, i havnt seen you canadians protecting peoples rights that much, sure sometimes we put our needs infront others(i would love to give the people of china freedom) but at least we dont sit in our hidey holes all damn day talking trash about other countrys that give a damn about his world and before you say any thing abbout the Iraq war being about oil explain to me why gas prices have gone up? but back on topic, beacuse it sells and is long engough ago that it wont affend people

DominantGiraffe

Jun 11, 2008
World War II games continue to sell because there's an enormous dearth of content to exploit. Something like 52 million people died in World War II; there's a LOT of room for development in a field that enormous. Plus the fact that it was the first real 'modern' war; widespread use of tanks, airplanes, automatic weapons and such. It was a groundbreaking period, and designers can see that.

WWII also conveys an 'epic' sense to it that many games fail to capture. Everyone already know the story behind World War II and how many millions of people were involved. Why would a dev team want to bother with creating a huge, involved story that will potentially flop and seem stupid when they have one of the best stories there is right under their noses, without having to explain it to the public at large. Sure, it's been done to death, but people are still developing Star Wars games, right?

Brilliant work with the 'hurr hurr Americans are stupid and dont do anything right mcdonalds george bu$h kkk 9/11 am i right' rhetoric, guys. Just because Iraq was a terrible idea (and it was, don't get me wrong, I don't back my government at all on that) doesn't mean that every other conflict in American history was a desperate land-grab at the hands of a corrupt government. Korea was a UN-sponsored defense of a nation against invaders, as was the Gulf War. While Vietnam can go either way and was on the whole a failure, the issue at hand was the spread of Communism, which most Westerners can sympathize with. I'm by no means advocating the mistakes of the U.S. government as anything but, but the translation of 'Recent American foreign policy has been terrible' to 'Americans are all flag-waving retards who scarf down McDonalds every day while advocating murder of Iraqis' is wearing thin.

edit: Arsundiil signs his own posts I am totally going to start doing that

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
i hope they make a mission where the troops gather around the campfire to celebrate christmas. then they hand out canned rations as gifts...

all while i can't control anything but my head

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
To be honest all you people do is ***** about us americans being horrible and catch at least one other thing in the cross-fire of it.We all know that WW2 was a horrible war but we should really feel sad for us Americans instead of busting their balls all over the damned place.Heres an Example:The majority of Americans are either old(therefore having been in the most god damned glorified war),patriotic(explains itself),or respectful of the old so they have to listen to the old.I fall under none of these.I hate WW2 as much as any of you and would love to see the damn thing go away.Also think how many COD fans are getting angry by the fact that the have to go back to same old setting instead of hooking up with my favorite group of people the 22nd Regiment Special Air Service.

Arntor

Feb 5, 2008
Tanthalos said:
I personally am greatly against games like 24 to Life, and the Grand Theft Auto series cause I believe crime is enough of a problem without it being glorified in video games.
I consider a fat Italian plumber going around and flattening people in the head with his arse a sexual assault. I can safely say the majority of video games will always glorify murder and assault (intentionally or unintentionally) and last time I checked, these are crimes.

UpInSmoke

May 14, 2008
DominantGiraffe said:
Brilliant work with the 'hurr hurr Americans are stupid and dont do anything right mcdonalds george bu$h kkk 9/11 am i right' rhetoric, guys. Just because Iraq was a terrible idea (and it was, don't get me wrong, I don't back my government at all on that) doesn't mean that every other conflict in American history was a desperate land-grab at the hands of a corrupt government. Korea was a UN-sponsored defense of a nation against invaders, as was the Gulf War. While Vietnam can go either way and was on the whole a failure, the issue at hand was the spread of Communism, which most Westerners can sympathize with. I'm by no means advocating the mistakes of the U.S. government as anything but, but the translation of 'Recent American foreign policy has been terrible' to 'Americans are all flag-waving retards who scarf down McDonalds every day while advocating murder of Iraqis' is wearing thin.

edit: Arsundiil signs his own posts I am totally going to start doing that
That's a battle you won't win on this site. The America bashing helps them feel better about themselves. Just let them have that.

Moon-Goose

Jun 5, 2008
The reason they are probaly bringing out a COD5 in World War 2 again is because people were probaly disappointed that COD4 wasnt set in World War 2. I personally liked the world war 2 theme and would have appreciated COD4 being world war 2.

The thing is, can the world war theme get boring? Yes! Is about time it came to an end? Yes! But I for one would like to see it in action with next generation graphics in place before people stop making them.