First COD 5 details announced.

Arntor

Feb 5, 2008
Here's hoping that the developers throw a curve ball at us and allow us to play on the side of the Axis.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Eh, I've lost interest after 4. Especially when it's being heralded as GOTY and "Halo Killer!" just because it had a kick ass 6 hour campaign and a generally uninteresting multiplayer (OMG IT HAS UNLOCKABLES!).

I hope this one changes my mind.

FireFox170

Dec 15, 2007
In WWII we didn't even want to get involved until Japan started pushing our buttons and the German U-Boats sinking American Ships. I personally wouldn't mind more Vietnam and World War I, or even Gulf War games, but I like world war II games, there's nothing wrong with them.

"the only American "war" that HASN'T turned into a complete and total goatfuck."

Yes, we've never won a war before. We've always been too fat to fight in wars, we don't have any real army, all our history books (and those of other countries) have been faked to make us seem better than we are. You've caught on.

P.S. We'll stay out of the next war that threatens Europe, if you would like that is. We'll stay cozy on our continent being pals with Canada and Mexico...well not Mexico as much...

P.P.S. World War II guns didn't suck and weren't shitty. The AK-47's model was based on the STG-44 (I believe) used by the Germans. Then there is the Thompson Machine Gun, some great planes (a better version of the Heroes of the Pacific game would be nice, the controls in it are simply terrible, Mouse + Keyboard or Joystick)

BLERGER

Jun 11, 2008
"Yes, we've never won a war before. We've always been too fat to fight in wars, we don't have any real army, all our history books (and those of other countries) have been faked to make us seem better than we are. You've caught on"
I like to think so. I've tried very hard to not be like all the other kids in me history class (that was an intentional "me") that are the stereotypical American teenagers, "ie: LAWL KILL TEH ISLAMICS WE ARE GRAET (buggery, etc, etc)." Try as I might to change them, I'm only one high schooler!...and believe it or not, that doesn't exactly count for much...

"P.P.S. World War II guns didn't suck and weren't shitty. The AK-47's model was based on the STG-44 (I believe) used by the Germans. Then there is the Thompson Machine Gun, some great planes (a better version of the Heroes of the Pacific game would be nice, the controls in it are simply terrible, Mouse + Keyboard or Joystick)"
Well, you'd have to specif
y there...German/Russian/Japanese guns were pretty decent (I've fired some. They's fun times =D)but some of the "western" (I say "western" because if you actually go far enough "east", you hit the "west"...) guns were the actual embodiments of CRAP. For example, the MAC-10. A very nice gun for fighting in a phone-booth.

EDIT: be ye warned, I am VERY liberal in the use of the word "goatfuck" when describing most current US military actions =D

Have a nice day.

-Arsundiil

salamifart

Jun 13, 2008
Arntor said:
Here's hoping that the developers throw a curve ball at us and allow us to play on the side of the Axis.
Well for a campaign it'd be hella tight, with an alternate ending and stuff. Idk why, but i always get the chills when i play on the axis side even in COD4MP.

BLERGER

Jun 11, 2008
BallPtPenTheif said:
i hope they make a mission where the troops gather around the campfire to celebrate christmas. then they hand out canned rations as gifts...

all while i can't control anything but my head
The Christmas Truce in WWI ^_^ A genuinely good example of human nature at its best. I like believe it went like this:

British Soldier 1: Jesus bloody Christ, it's cold out here...why aren't we at home celebrating Christmas with our families?

British Soldier 2: You've got me, mate...*looks over foxhole*Hey, what's that kraut over there doing? Is....is he coming towards us?

British Soldier 1: *looks* Wha-...yes, he is!...let's go see what he wants

German Soldier: Fröhliches Weihnachten!

British Soldier 2: Oi! Don't you know what "no man's land" is?!*points gun at German*

British Soldier 1: Yeah, we could've shot you! *points gun at German*

German Soldier: (doesn't speak English) *waits a minute*....*holds up small Christmas tree with candles in it*...Fröhliches Weihnachten?

*English Soldiers look at each other*....*Christmastime revelry ensues*
-End Scenario-

That should happen in Kabul =D

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
What I liked best about the COD5 announcements were the bits in which Treyarch revealed themselves to be totally naive and out of touch.

Infinity Ward explains that they went to Modern Warfare because WWII was a tired genre. So on the next game, Treyarch hops back in, but then they go: "We'll go someplace you've never seen before! The Pacific Theatre!" as though Medal of Honor never existed. The Pacific Theatre: the last place they beat the dead horse of WWII.

The only innovation I can see coming from that would be if they dropped the American campaign (or pushed it off to the side) and made the player Russian or Chinese.

Uskis

Apr 21, 2008
Arsundiil said:
BallPtPenTheif said:
i hope they make a mission where the troops gather around the campfire to celebrate christmas. then they hand out canned rations as gifts...

all while i can't control anything but my head
The Christmas Truce in WWI ^_^ A genuinely good example of human nature at its best. I like believe it went like this:

British Soldier 1: Jesus bloody Christ, it's cold out here...why aren't we at home celebrating Christmas with our families?

British Soldier 2: You've got me, mate...*looks over foxhole*Hey, what's that kraut over there doing? Is....is he coming towards us?

British Soldier 1: *looks* Wha-...yes, he is!...let's go see what he wants

German Soldier: Fröhliches Weihnachten!

British Soldier 2: Oi! Don't you know what "no man's land" is?!*points gun at German*

British Soldier 1: Yeah, we could've shot you! *points gun at German*

German Soldier: (doesn't speak English) *waits a minute*....*holds up small Christmas tree with candles in it*...Fröhliches Weihnachten?

*English Soldiers look at each other*....*Christmastime revelry ensues*
-End Scenario-

That should happen in Kabul =D
Been watching Joyeux Noël (merry christmas) lately have we? ;) Otherwise go see it, it's a brilliant movie!

Anyway, on topic. The reason I dislike the whole 2. WW theme is that were going to play as the americans for a good section of the game.. No doubt there. That means I have to carry around the same worn out arsenal of thompson/BAR/Springfield/Gerand and listen to the same american 2. WW squad lingo which is quite tiresome after some time. I think Treyarch did an ok job on the variety in CoD3, playing with the canadians, polish (!) and british, but I don't see how they're going to fit any of that into the whole pacific setting.

Iron_will

Feb 8, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
The only innovation I can see coming from that would be if they dropped the American campaign (or pushed it off to the side) and made the player Russian or Chinese.
Or playing as the Japanese while they were working their way to Singapore, with the campaign probably ending in Singapore of course.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
Or they made the player play as an Australian (seriously, Australia was in WW2 as well. Sometimes you Yanks seem to forget that you guys used Australia as a base)... I suppose you could use Kokoda and stuff...

@ Neeko's rant: Brothers in Arms... I think that pretty much covers my base.

And as for COD5: really, they are beating a dead horse. Let's at least hope they can get some good gameplay in it. Still, I'm not going to buy it.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Maybe, just maybe, Australia will be in a war game for the first time ever. Seriosuly, the rest of you are hogging the fun.

Oh-Wiseone

Jun 9, 2008
stompy said:
HobbesMkii said:
Or they made the player play as an Australian (seriously, Australia was in WW2 as well. Sometimes you Yanks seem to forget that you guys used Australia as a base)... I suppose you could use Kokoda and stuff...

@ Neeko's rant: Brothers in Arms... I think that pretty much covers my base.

And as for COD5: really, they are beating a dead horse. Let's at least hope they can get some good gameplay in it. Still, I'm not going to buy it.
Ya thanks for letting us use your oversized aircraft carrier of a country for a couple years.
btw this commment is not serious in any measure in case any aussies out there are steaming from the ears.

LordCraigus

May 21, 2008
One thing that hinders WWII games so much is the lack of variety in settings and scenarios, not to mention realism. There's so much that could be done but developers prefer to stay in the safe zone of the American invasion of Normandy and onwards.
Sure we've seen Soviet scenarios a couple of times but to have a game that actually focuses it's entire story on the Eastern Front would be heaven for me, assuming it was any good.

This all goes for FPS games, I know of a fair few great RTSs that put focus on the less-explored Fronts of the war as well as letting you play campaigns as the Axis.

Blu3Forever

Jun 13, 2008
CoD5 will be console only and Infinity Ward will not be making this (they will be making CoD6 tho). This will leave many people disappointed, just like CoD3.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
LordCraigus said:
One thing that hinders WWII games so much is the lack of variety in settings and scenarios, not to mention realism. There's so much that could be done but developers prefer to stay in the safe zone of the American invasion of Normandy and onwards.
Sure we've seen Soviet scenarios a couple of times but to have a game that actually focuses it's entire story on the Eastern Front would be heaven for me, assuming it was any good.

This all goes for FPS games, I know of a fair few great RTSs that put focus on the less-explored Fronts of the war as well as letting you play campaigns as the Axis.
I agree that playing on the Eastern Front would be awesome, if it was handled well. The fact it hasn't happened so far is the parochial attitude of Western developers and the gamers who think the U.S. won the war single-handed, never mind the 26+ million Russians that died.
In fact, I'd like to see a move away from WW2 shooters, and from those set in a dystopic future, and look at new subjects.

LordCraigus

May 21, 2008
Well Alphavillain the first two CoD games did have Soviet missions, however they weren't exactly perfect or realistic, it is CoD after all. The only FPS I can think that's entirely set on the Eastern Front is Red Orchestra, but that's a multiplayer only game.

But when you think, the Eastern Front saw the biggest and most costly battles of the entire war, no ifs or buts about that. You'd think game developers would love to cash in on these horrific events (like they do with most others), but the fact it's Russia means it's a bit outside of the safezone most developers or publishers have dug themselves into.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
Blu3Forever said:
CoD5 will be console only and Infinity Ward will not be making this (they will be making CoD6 tho). This will leave many people disappointed, just like CoD3.
No, actually, it's gonna be on the PC too. Did Treyarch not get the job, as the Activision CEO didn't confirm? Maybe.

It's not the fact it's Russia, so much the fact that it's Soviet Union that developers will not make realistic Russian battles in WWII. Kinda like "Look at this great empire that we destroyed" deal.

7dollarbill

Apr 3, 2008
Sounds alright to me I guess, I hope you don;t have to constantly play as an American though. I'd like to actually play both sides of the conflict, and maybe as an aussie soldier aswell.