First DBZ Movie in 17 Years, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Trailer Powers Out

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Having seen the Japanese version, I can offer some thoughts:

I like Birus. He doesn't come across as outright evil, more like he's a god and the earth is nothing to him, as a person would see a speck of dust. He's actually quite fun and his presence making everybody that knows him frightened while others are just acting like he's another guy.

I was disappointed in the Super Saiyan God form. The skinnier frame kinda made me long for the Super Saiyan 4, but it's heavily implied this is a temporary form Goku doesn't need any more after using it once. The concept of god energy also gave way to suggest there are other characters that could be comparable to the Saiyans now, even give the other characters a chance to shine again (similar to how Uub was strong enough to go one on one with Goku despite being a 10 year old human.)

Didn't care for the CGI. It doesn't blend well with the 2D animation.

It had a lot of genuinely funny moments. Vegeta dancing and singing to keep Birus from getting mad was hilarious.

The fight between Birus and Goku was rather weak. Compared to other fights where the blows exchanged caused the earth itself to shake or just powering up caused nearby areas to start falling apart, it just didn't have the same impact. Goku and Birus fighting should be cause for concern since every blow should be causing damage everywhere, not something that seems to barely register.

Flow's "Hero" song is great.

I hate that Gohan keeps getting smacked aside with 1 hit. Toriyama states he's the strongest non-fused being even compared to SSJ3 Goku, yet in everything post DBZ he keeps getting brushed aside as if he's weaker than Piccolo or Vegeta.

Overall: Could have been better, have seen worse DBZ movies, am hopeful this can lead to a new series.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Saw this subbed and I can say that after so long it's definitely worth going to see it in the cinema if you can (US/Canada only afaik).

I felt very nostalgic after seeing it. Didn't even know it has been almost 17 years since Dragon Ball GT ended.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I hate Goku and therefore I hated this movie.

Fucking stupid giving Goku a "super saiyan god" form when the prince of all fucking Saiyans, the person who should be the strongest fucking saiyan, Vegeta never even reached Super Saiyan 3 (except in some budokai 2 canon) and needed bulma to invent a fucking ray gun to get him to super saiyan 4. Goku could go SSJ3 as a fucking kid for god sake.

It pisses me off, being a Vegeta fan, he gets shit on for most of the series.

Oh here you go Vegeta, you so powerful, beat up cell for 1 episode but SYKE everyone is stronger, even your son, Trunks...significantly stronger in fact.

Here you go Vegeta, get the most epic scene ever, sacrificing yourself to kill Buu, a logical closure to that enemy, but SYKE, you didn't kill him at all, not even close, in fact, we aren't even going to wait a little bit before telling you you didn't kill him

I guess what makes me the maddest is that Gohan (a half HUMAN damnit) killed perfect cell and was always hailed as having all this secret power, it makes no damn sense that he should be stronger than Vegeta, ever, under no circumstances.

Vegeta trains the hardest, he has the best bloodline, he gets into the most fights, he has been healed the most, he has the most experience and he is the prince of all motherfucking saiyans. If Toriyama continued making DBZ with the facts he created in mind, rather than writing Vegeta down constantly out of spite because he hates the character but fans love him so his favourite piccolo doesn't get as much spotlight as he wants, Vegeta would logically be strongest.

Saiyan's power is supposed to grow exponentially after every fight and after every time they heal back to health, Given that Vegeta has easily had the most fights and trains at least 10 times harder and longer than any other character in the show, including Goku, in most cases to a complete body breakdown, requiring healing, Vegeta should at least be able to get to Goku's level.

Goku didn't need any more fucking wins, he didn't need any more fucking forms, he didn't need to be a million times stronger than everyone else in the show. It fucking pisses me off.

And that's why I hated that movie.

P.S I may or may not have been really angry writing that

P.P.S: Captcha told me to pick the one that was really a word, so I picked Sidewalk out of 6 choices that were basically "sdfskjhfs" - "Captcha error"

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
WHAT!??, this film has been out for ages!, heck, it's even on Netflix!*.

As for the film itself... it's big, HUGE, dumb fanservice. And I absolutely loved every second of it, even a certain sayan acting silly at some point :p

[small]*At least on Netflix Mexico, I loved the return of the original mexican voice cast for this film ^.^[/small]
Just searched for "dragonball z" in Netflix and got a bunch of related results including "How High".

Pretty sure it's not there for me.

Also searched dragon and dbz, no luck.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
The dubbing looks very bad. Not such a good movie, while I didn't like GT I still loved the idea and design of SSJ4 so I hope SSJ God doesn't replace that. Like I said, not really worth watching even if you were a hardcore dragon ball z fan years and years ago, it's just not too good.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Just searched for "dragonball z" in Netflix and got a bunch of related results including "How High".

Oh... that sucks. Well, at least it's still up in Netflix Mexico.

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
Whatislove said:
I hate Goku and therefore I hated this movie.

Fucking stupid giving Goku a "super saiyan god" form when the prince of all fucking Saiyans, the person who should be the strongest fucking saiyan, Vegeta never even reached Super Saiyan 3 (except in some budokai 2 canon) and needed bulma to invent a fucking ray gun to get him to super saiyan 4. Goku could go SSJ3 as a fucking kid for god sake.

It pisses me off, being a Vegeta fan, he gets shit on for most of the series.

Oh here you go Vegeta, you so powerful, beat up cell for 1 episode but SYKE everyone is stronger, even your son, Trunks...significantly stronger in fact.

Here you go Vegeta, get the most epic scene ever, sacrificing yourself to kill Buu, a logical closure to that enemy, but SYKE, you didn't kill him at all, not even close, in fact, we aren't even going to wait a little bit before telling you you didn't kill him

I guess what makes me the maddest is that Gohan (a half HUMAN damnit) killed perfect cell and was always hailed as having all this secret power, it makes no damn sense that he should be stronger than Vegeta, ever, under no circumstances.

Vegeta trains the hardest, he has the best bloodline, he gets into the most fights, he has been healed the most, he has the most experience and he is the prince of all motherfucking saiyans. If Toriyama continued making DBZ with the facts he created in mind, rather than writing Vegeta down constantly out of spite because he hates the character but fans love him so his favourite piccolo doesn't get as much spotlight as he wants, Vegeta would logically be strongest.

Saiyan's power is supposed to grow exponentially after every fight and after every time they heal back to health, Given that Vegeta has easily had the most fights and trains at least 10 times harder and longer than any other character in the show, including Goku, in most cases to a complete body breakdown, requiring healing, Vegeta should at least be able to get to Goku's level.

Goku didn't need any more fucking wins, he didn't need any more fucking forms, he didn't need to be a million times stronger than everyone else in the show. It fucking pisses me off.

And that's why I hated that movie.

P.S I may or may not have been really angry writing that

P.P.S: Captcha told me to pick the one that was really a word, so I picked Sidewalk out of 6 choices that were basically "sdfskjhfs" - "Captcha error"
Pretty much this. I always got the impression that Toriyama hated Vegeta because if you actually look back on Vegeta's accomplishments, he is a complete joke, in the show, movies and gt his role is basically "Hey look how bad ass I am- oh wait nevermind I'm down".

The film itself:
Even in this film I hated him dancing about, though he did get one shining moment in the film which was really good, except.......it was total bullshit, I hated how strong Bills was since I knew as soon as he brushed off SS3 Goku like it was nothing that it would be pointless watching any other fights until the miracle cure God mode showed up and yet Vegeta puts up a bit of a fight just because he got a bit angry? If he had turned SS3 then it would have been fine (Plus great fanservice) but without it I just call bullshit.

On the God mode, if you scroll up to an earlier post someone posted a link to an interview with Toriyama that mentions the God mode and he said he just wanted something simple instead of some big flashy transformation. Which makes sense given his love of doing the unexpected but the design just screams laziness, before watching the film I honestly thought Goku was just using Kaioken. What a boring waste of an "Ultimate form", he could have at least made Goku a red SS rather than his normal look....

Rant over.
Basically if you want to go watch the film just enjoy it for what it is, its the first time you've seen a DBZ feature in several years and just enjoy seeing familiar characters.
But do NOT think too much about the film, its plagued with plot holes and nip picks.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
A lot of my Japanese friends who were big Dragon Ball fans HATED this movie. Which was surprising because of Akira Toriyama's direct involvement. That being said, I think with a lot of Akira Toriyama's work, He tends to be very misunderstood for being an action guy when he is really much more of a comedy style comic creator. I'm not sure if that's why this movie was pretty much universally panned, but a few of my friends were completely outraged by what this movie was, and I was quite taken back by that. Although it looks like it will be much more in line with what American fans liked about Dragon Ball so maybe it will find a better home state-side (slash the western world).

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
CardinalPiggles said:

Oh... that sucks. Well, at least it's still up in Netflix Mexico.

Netflix UK absolutely sucks, but the not even tangential "related to" suggestions are hilarious, looking under "related to Attack on Titan" and getting Archer, being only the first example that comes to mind,

OT: I saw this subbed a while back, and I love that it's getting a dubbed release, I really enjoyed it, it wasn't great but had some pretty emtertaining moments, mind you I also have an odd fondness for GT I can't quite explain, so if you want a critical evaluation I am exactly the wrong person to ask

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
RJ 17 said:
Pretty much what Darks63 said. SSJ forms are basically just more efficient forms of the KK with each SSJ form basically just adding massive multipliers to all his stats (I think the base form is x100 if I remember correctly). Other than physical strain, however, there is the energy drain as well. For instance, when Goku first confronts Fat Buu, he mentions that he can only sustain SSJ3 for a couple hours, and that's if he's dead. Taking away his halo makes it even more stressful (see the fight against Kid Buu where Goku can't charge up and Vegeta's getting curb-stomped).

Kaio-Ken does increase his power by x amount, but it also drains energy x time as fast. Theoretically he could go KK while in an SSJ form, but he'd pretty much have to make sure he finished the fight right then and there or else the energy cost would leave him sapped.
That's what people say, but there's nothing whatsoever in the series or movies that gives any explanation as to why Goku stops using Kaio-Ken after the Frieza saga. The real reason is simply if Goku could double, triple, whatever his power from Super Saiyan, then it would be pretty much impossible to realistically challenge him. It's the same reason they almost never do that "Saiyans grow stronger after nearly dying" after the Frieza saga.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
According to IMDB, the movie is 85 minutes. So basically the villains get done introducing themselves, and then the credits roll? That trailer must be for the 3rd or 4th movie in the series when things start to get going.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
One Piece has had two movies with direct content from the creator. I wonder if this is going to be a new thing now.

Also wasn't Goku basically already a god in the series? I mean the Supreme Kai, who could be assumed as the god of the universe, was completely blown away by how strong Goku and the saiyans were.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
That's what people say, but there's nothing whatsoever in the series or movies that gives any explanation as to why Goku stops using Kaio-Ken after the Frieza saga. The real reason is simply if Goku could double, triple, whatever his power from Super Saiyan, then it would be pretty much impossible to realistically challenge him. It's the same reason they almost never do that "Saiyans grow stronger after nearly dying" after the Frieza saga.
Pretty sure it's explained that the Kaio-Ken expends energy and puts stress on the body equal to the multiplication amount...that's specifically why he only uses it for quick burst attacks rather than just going Kaio-Ken right from the start and keep it on during the entire fight.

Also, as I pointed out, Goku tells Fat Buu that he can only hold SSJ3 for a couple hours because it requires so much energy to power it. In fact, the longer he fights, the weaker he gets, as seen when he was fighting Kid Buu: he can no longer charge up to his full power.

Sooooo yeah, both my points are actually mentioned in the series.

Oh, and the whole "become stronger after you almost die" thing actually does come into play after the Frieza Saga...because it happens to Cell. Thanks to Cell's Saiyajin DNA, blowing himself up and then regenerating counted towards his "almost dying power-up". When he returns to earth to fight Gohan again, he's much stronger than he was before. In theory, Cell could become the strongest being in the universe simply by blowing himself up and regenerating over and over again.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
I'll wait for the abridged version thank you very much. don't get me wrong i enjoy dbz but this...yuck, something about the 3d animation and super squeaky clean characters just doesn't sit right with me. oh well, i'll just leave this here...

wfpdk

May 8, 2008
lol wut?! i already saw this on youtube a few week ago. i thought it was old. but this trailer does the film no justice. in truth it's hilarious and in the version i saw the god of destruction's name was bill, and he did not give one single fuck, and it was awesome.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
RJ 17 said:
Pretty sure it's explained that the Kaio-Ken expends energy and puts stress on the body equal to the multiplication amount...that's specifically why he only uses it for quick burst attacks rather than just going Kaio-Ken right from the start and keep it on during the entire fight.

Also, as I pointed out, Goku tells Fat Buu that he can only hold SSJ3 for a couple hours because it requires so much energy to power it. In fact, the longer he fights, the weaker he gets, as seen when he was fighting Kid Buu: he can no longer charge up to his full power.

Sooooo yeah, both my points are actually mentioned in the series.
No they aren't. The latter point is, but it's not relevant to the Kaioken. Goku or King Kai doesn't say anything about the Kaio-ken one way or the other after the Frieza saga, and aside from being used once for about 2 seconds during a bit of filler it's not even mentioned at all. There's no point when anybody says
"Hey Goku, why aren't you using the Kaio-ken anymore?"
Goku: "Oh, I can't use it as a Super Saiyan or above because [[insert reasons here]]"

and since that didn't happen, any reasons you or anyone can give are pure guesswork.
Oh, and the whole "become stronger after you almost die" thing actually does come into play after the Frieza Saga...because it happens to Cell. Thanks to Cell's Saiyajin DNA, blowing himself up and then regenerating counted towards his "almost dying power-up". When he returns to earth to fight Gohan again, he's much stronger than he was before. In theory, Cell could become the strongest being in the universe simply by blowing himself up and regenerating over and over again.
That's why I said "almost never". After the Frieza saga there are countless occasions where Saiyans just barely escape death and are restored and yet don't even mention becoming stronger as a result. The only times they become stronger is after months of training. Cell is the last time in the series where the near death powerup is brought into effect.

Both the Kaio-ken and the near death powerup were all but completely ignored after the Frieza saga, as though they never existed.