First DBZ Movie in 17 Years, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Trailer Powers Out

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
First DBZ Movie in 17 Years, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Trailer Powers Out

FUNimation has released the theatrical trailer for Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, and it introduces a new villain in Beerus, the God of Destruction.

For longtime Dragon Ball fans, you'll be glad to know that FUNimation Entertainment has released the first trailer for the US release of Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods. This is the first, full-fledged DBZ movie in 17 years that will see a theatrical release and is an original material from Dragon Ball creator, Akira Toriyama. In Battle of Gods Goku must face Beerus. the God of Destruction, who is looking for him after hearing about the death of Freeza by the Saiyan. Looking to find an opponent worthy to fight him, Beerus, along with his companion Whis, seek out Son Goku to challenge him in combat. And just in case you're wondering, yes, the events shown in Battle of Gods follow the defeat of Majin Buu.

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods will be released domestically on August 5-7 and 9, across 350 cinemas in North America. In Japan, the film was released in March of last year, and shot to the top of the Japanese box office charts earning over $7 million in its first two days, with the total theatrical run reported to be at at 2.9 billion yen or roughly $30 million in US currency.

Want more Dragon Ball coverage here on The Escapist? Then check out this fight between these two aliens in Death Battle! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134626-Epic-Rap-Battles-Returns-With-Goku-vs-Superman]

Source: SuperHeroHype [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI9y4GXUWzA]

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I thought this came out in japan a while ago. So most people who want to watch it have seen it.

Though it would be quite a novelty to see a dragonball z movie in cinemas.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Dark Knifer said:
I thought this came out in japan a while ago. So most people who want to watch it have seen it.

Though it would be quite a novelty to see a dragonball z movie in cinemas.
It in fact did come out a while ago.

OT: I saw this movie.
It was shit
See it only so that there will be more DBZ films.
But be warned, it is shit.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Would be pretty cool watching a Dragon Ball Z movie in the cinema, but I'm guessing this isn't getting any kind of UK release...

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Wait, the GOD of destruction hears "frieza has been killed" and then spends what? 18+ years (gohan is a man at the end of DBZ) finding Goku, who is dead and has been carried off by whats-his-face the dragon by the time he finds him?

Jesus, what kind of god takes that long to find a guy?

The thing I always wondered about DBZ is, why did Goku stop doing then Kaio-ken stuff? It says in the wiki that it was over shadowed by going various levels of super saiyan but couldn't he just go SSJ and then Kaio-ken? Since it also states it "Kaio-ken x3 and above all consistently multiply the user's power level by the respective multipliers" ... the highest Kaio-ken he reached was 20 and he can now go SSJ3, his power level would be astronomical! Though I would assume that given training allowed him to increase his multiplication before SSJ, that even more training would allow him to increase the multiplication further, so instead of x20, he could be at x50+.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Isn't this the one where Goku becomes like a god of the saiyans of somesuch? Oh and op please dont give that death battle more advertisement the way superman wins in such bs in regards to his character.

omega 616 said:
The thing I always wondered about DBZ is, why did Goku stop doing then Kaio-ken stuff? It says in the wiki that it was over shadowed by going various levels of super saiyan but couldn't he just go SSJ and then Kaio-ken? Since it also states it "Kaio-ken x3 and above all consistently multiply the user's power level by the respective multipliers" ... the highest Kaio-ken he reached was 20 and he can now go SSJ3, his power level would be astronomical! Though I would assume that given training allowed him to increase his multiplication before SSJ, that even more training would allow him to increase the multiplication further, so instead of x20, he could be at x50+.
Both the SSJ and Kaiken technique cause strain on his body with KK causing greater strain for less payoff. KK causes so much strain that he can only use it in bursts. Hover there was one instance in a DBZ movie that he did use kaioken in SS form.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Objectable said:
It was shit
My guess is they're promoting it due to the recent rash of DBZ returning rumors. If it does well, they might push to get more done with the series but as Akira Toriyama said here, [http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/battle-gods-animanga-akira-toriyama/] when asked about continuing Dragon Ball: "To be honest, I haven?t given it any thought at all.". He could come back to it but I get the feeling he'd rather do new things.

I only looked because I had some friends freaking out about NEW DBZ!!! recently and all I found were a bunch of fan-speculation posts. I'd be fine with it being over and done with, I was finished with the show in the Cell saga anyway. :)
[sub][sub]Don't know the date of that interview unfortunately.[/sub][/sub]

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Redlin5 said:
Objectable said:
It was shit
My guess is they're promoting it due to the recent rash of DBZ returning rumors. If it does well, they might push to get more done with the series but as Akira Toriyama said here, [http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/battle-gods-animanga-akira-toriyama/] when asked about continuing Dragon Ball: "To be honest, I haven?t given it any thought at all.". He could come back to it but I get the feeling he'd rather do new things.

I only looked because I had some friends freaking out about NEW DBZ!!! recently and all I found were a bunch of fan-speculation posts. I'd be fine with it being over and done with, I was finished with the show in the Cell saga anyway. :)
[sub][sub]Don't know the date of that interview unfortunately.[/sub][/sub]
The Buu Saga is actually a lot of fun. You get the multi-part epic of GREAT SAIYAMAN!
<youtube=zSg6Ai8Gfbo>
Yup
Pure, utter amazing. What a hunk

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The only thing on my mind is HOW MUCH LONGER UNTIL THE OCEAN DUB OF KAI COMES OUT!? Scott McNeil has been teasing it for years.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Objectable said:
You get the multi-part epic of GREAT SAIYAMAN!
<youtube=zSg6Ai8Gfbo>
Yup
Pure, utter amazing. What a hunk
Oh right, that...

I forgot that Gohan's exposure to the Ginyu Force at such a young age on Namek had consequences.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
omega 616 said:
Pretty much what Darks63 said. SSJ forms are basically just more efficient forms of the KK with each SSJ form basically just adding massive multipliers to all his stats (I think the base form is x100 if I remember correctly). Other than physical strain, however, there is the energy drain as well. For instance, when Goku first confronts Fat Buu, he mentions that he can only sustain SSJ3 for a couple hours, and that's if he's dead. Taking away his halo makes it even more stressful (see the fight against Kid Buu where Goku can't charge up and Vegeta's getting curb-stomped).

Kaio-Ken does increase his power by x amount, but it also drains energy x time as fast. Theoretically he could go KK while in an SSJ form, but he'd pretty much have to make sure he finished the fight right then and there or else the energy cost would leave him sapped.

Edit:
Goku goes SSJ 5. Eeeeeeeeyup.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
WHAT!??, this film has been out for ages!, heck, it's even on Netflix!*.

As for the film itself... it's big, HUGE, dumb fanservice. And I absolutely loved every second of it, even a certain sayan acting silly at some point :p

[small]*At least on Netflix Mexico, I loved the return of the original mexican voice cast for this film ^.^[/small]

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I've seen it with subtitles, but I'm sure none of my friends have. Might go see this. Besides, I'd love to see new Dragon Ball content and if supporting this helps get us that, sign me up.

There's all sorts of rumors going on right now. A possible sequel to the movie focusing on Vegeta. A possible new series that further cements GT as non-canon fanfiction tripe (BoG does a good job of that, though). I want it all!

omega 616 said:
Wait, the GOD of destruction hears "frieza has been killed" and then spends what? 18+ years (gohan is a man at the end of DBZ) finding Goku, who is dead and has been carried off by whats-his-face the dragon by the time he finds him?

Jesus, what kind of god takes that long to find a guy?

I've seen the movie. I'll say that it has a lot of comedy, but long time fans shouldn't be bothered by that. It has some truly great moments with Vegeta for example.

As for why it took Beerus so long to find Goku, he was asleep. As a God he is immortal (or damn close) and tends to sleep for extended periods of time. He knew Frieza, but decided he wasn't really worth the trouble. But before going to sleep, Beerus heard a prophecy that he would encounter a Super Saiyan God and fight it, so he cut his sleep to a short 18 or so year long nap.

He actually found Goku almost immediately as they knew exactly where he was. They also immediately find Vegeta after that.

Goku theoretically could use Kaio-Ken in his Super Saiyan form, but it would most likely kill him. Remember that when Goku went Super Saiyan with the heart virus, it basically crippled him. The Super Saiyan form puts a bit of strain on the body and tends to make a Saiyan angrier. At least, until they master the form.

Kaio-Ken puts tremendous strain on the body. As evidenced during the fight with Vegeta. His body was wrecked by using the technique so much. It's even stated that Kaio-Ken can kill the user. And it also drains his energy a good amount. He was basically powerless after using the Kaio-Ken Times Twenty fighting Frieza. So using Kaio-Ken as a Super Saiyan would probably be a One Way trip to the "Next Dimension".

Also, Super Saiyan has much larger power increases and is much more efficient. Super Saiyan gives at least a 50 times multiplier with each subsequent form further amplifying that increase. And does so with less, if any, drain on Goku's body or Ki with Super Saiyan 3 being the exception as it does drain his Ki fairly rapidly. And considering the draining effect of Super Saiyan 3, if he added Kaio-ken to that, he'd probably be out of energy fast, giving him maybe one good attack.

And as powerful as Goku is, even IF he used Kaio-Ken in Super Saiyan Three, he probably still couldn't hurt Beerus. The power gap is that great.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Dark Knifer said:
It was released, quite a long time ago. FUNimation has just been extremely busy with other projects and dubbing an entire film takes time.

Or they realized that DBZ is a very old series and it may not be the best idea to spend the time and money bringing it over....

I dunno.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
It's visually very impressive, as the use of 3D animation makes the battles look great (at least in the trailer), but I'm not impressed by the new form, either by the look of it or it's name. Super Saiyan God? That's ridiculous even by Dragon Ball standards.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
These came out a while ago over here, I went to see it with my gf since she likes that stuff, and as someone that has never watched a single Dragon Ball movie, I thought this felt like a shit overextended episode that meant nothing and ended in nothing.

That plus the really bad CGI replacement for pretty much every "look at this cool environment" scene, yeah... I get the need to put CGI to make stuff faster/cheaper, but those really put me off.

TehChuckles

Jan 12, 2011
Has anyone thought about Beerus being a gender swapped Bast from Egyptian mythology?

both gods with cat heads with similar areas of expertise. War & Destruction respectively. I wonder which villains or heroes in the past also draw from Real world Mythos.