First Episode of Mortal Kombat Web Show Steps Into the Ring

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
First Episode of Mortal Kombat Web Show Steps Into the Ring

It's guns, explosions, and violence galore in the first episode of Mortal Kombat: Legacy.

Warner Bros. has released the first episode of its Mortal Kombat web series, Legacy. The series is set before the Mortal Kombat tournament itself, and will show the events that led to the various characters fighting in the, as well as give some insight into their motivations.

The series is the brainchild of director Kevin Tancharoen, who so impressed Warner with his incredibly slick "fan film," Mortal Kombat: Rebirth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101195-Mystery-Mortal-Kombat-Trailer-Will-Blow-You-Away ], that it out him to work on a whole series. The first episode reintroduces the characters of Jax and Sonya, played by Michael Jai White and Jeri Ryan, respectively, and adds Tamoh Pennikett, known for his appearances in Battlestar Galactica and Dollhouse, as Stryker, and Darren Shahlavi as Kano to the cast.

It's not bad for a first episode: It doesn't try and cram too much in to its twelve minute running time, and there's some nice foreshadowing in there if you're a Mortal Kombat fan. Unfortunately, such a short episode doesn't leave a lot of room for nuance, so the characters and plot seem to be a little on the clichéd side right now. There are plenty of episodes left to go, however, so that particular problem could go away rather quickly.

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/04/12/video-mortal-kombat-live-action-series-episode-one/]

Maxman3002

Steampunked
Jul 25, 2009
Awsome first episode. Also hoping a lot that the explosion at the end has screwed up Jax's arms and Kano's face :)

Didnt have a whole lot to do with mortal kombat story line so far beyond 3 people and a gang having the same names as people from the series and the 3 main ones looking a little like them. Cant expect to much from a first episode though. Hoping to see more characters and more of the contest as it goes through the episodes

Anyone know how many are due to come out of these and how often?

Personally the quality is far to good for a free web series, id happly pay a pound or 2 to buy each episode if they'd gone that way (Prefer them free though)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Maxman3002 said:
Anyone know how many are due to come out of these and how often?

Personally the quality is far to good for a free web series, id happly pay a pound or 2 to buy each episode if they'd gone that way (Prefer them free though)
12 eps I think is whats planned, 1 per week.

I hope they release like a dvd or something of it.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Nice! I´m glad they went the realistic route showed in the "fan movie". There´s a few nice elements that hint at more intersting things to come. Cant wait for episode 2!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Very cool. My only issue is Jax and Stryker seem to really be taking their time during the shoot out and lethargy isn't known for being a defence against bullets.

Also let that be a lesson to all uptight white guys, the angry black guy stereotype will only get you in trouble.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
anyone that says that have a problem with the fact that they strayed too far from the source material can go watch mortal kombat the movie. This is awesome, although i still think the xm8 is a vary ugly gun, even when it is shooting out facey bombs.

Edit: also i was hopeing to see striker hit someone with a nightstick

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Helo! Yay!

OK, I know very little about Mortal Kombat, but this still looks awesome. Looking forward to the next one!

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Looks awesome, I'm definitely going to stick around and see where this is going. One strange thing I noticed on YouTube though, there's 300 views and 7000+ likes.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That was pretty good. I need to catch up with the who who in the Mortal Kombat characters.

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
Pretty good IMO. Nice balance of realism mixed with the MK mythology as demonstrated in fan film. Given its a web series(and assuming somewhat limited budget) the CGI is decent too.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
For some reason this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsvfP5BQxaw] comes to mind.

Awesome video though, I look forward to the next episode.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
Maxman3002 said:
Well, red vs blue and the first series of the guild are on itunes for however much they are, I'm guessing this'll go a similar route.

Anyone else hoping more high budget series take this kinda route?

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
lets see 12 and 1/2 minuets times 5 episodes, is ummmm, OH 63 and a half minutes. Not bad. a little short from the original concept of a movie but not bad.

Dragonforce525

Sep 13, 2009
I think I've been spoiled by the fan film, so much awesome was packed into the original trailer, that the first episode bored me, I felt like it should have been a bit longer, I know it's just the first episode of a web series, but I went in expecting this brutal graphic action series and came out with an action series. I'm still going to follow it, but the first episode has really disappointed me.