First Episode of Mortal Kombat Web Show Steps Into the Ring

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
it was okay; better than the films, but not exactly something to get giddy over. I just wanna see Sub-Zero and Scorpion already

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I quite liked that, definitely going to watch the next one; looking -very- forward to see where they take this. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Maxman3002 said:
Pyode said:
Maxman3002 said:
Awsome first episode. Also hoping a lot that the explosion at the end has screwed up Jax's arms and Kano's face :)

Didnt have a whole lot to do with mortal kombat story line so far beyond 3 people and a gang having the same names as people from the series and the 3 main ones looking a little like them. Cant expect to much from a first episode though. Hoping to see more characters and more of the contest as it goes through the episodes
Actually it's 4 characters. The other cop that Jax was working with was Striker. Also, the cybernetic stuff was an obvious reference to Cyrax or one of those guys.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty good. The slo-mo at the end with Sonya was completely useless and stupid but otherwise I liked it.
I was under the impression that all the cybernetic stuff was what kano wears now that half his face was blow off in that explosion (fingers crossed)

They said in the video that there was a cybernetic eye that could focus into a lazer (kanos special move) and I thought the helmet would be cut in half for kanos head?

Didnt get that that was striker though, he looks thinner in real life :p
Also needs to get a baseball cap :)
I thought it looked a lot more like the mask Kabal wears. Which would make sense as he is an ex-Black Dragon who joins the good guys.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'd like to have seen some more plot context, but I enjoyed it overall. I especially loved Stryker, "Whatever. Fuck protocol, let's go."

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
For those ragging on this vid, you need to learn some patience. Seriously, this is just the first episode with only 12 minutes in it. If it was nothing but fighting then you would be complaining about lack of dialogue and character!
Frankly I find this episode well done breaking some cliches along the way. I look forward to more, and hope WB is going to release the whole package digitally.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Ubermetalhed said:
thecoreyhlltt said:
AM I THE ONLY PERSON THAT THINKS THIS IS AN ABOMINATION AND IS MAKING A MOCKERY OF MORTAL KOMBAT??!!!?!!!!!?!?!!!????!?!?!?!??!
I'm with you.

This is cheap crap. It looks cheap, the dialogue is beyond shit and the fighting is abysmal.

Seriously if you were gonna get one thing right it should be the latter.
You do understand that the original MK story is absolute crap, right?

Like, worthless, horrible, beyond cheesy, testosterone-filled pile of excrement?

On-topic: Well done. I'll have to see where this goes, but enjoying all the connections they are making to the franchise's characters.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Looks like the Black Dragon are supplying the Lin Kuei with the Cybernetic parts for Sektor, Cyrax and Smoke.

Also STRYKER!

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I have to say that was quite boring. I think I will still stick around to see how they handle the Lin Kuei backstory though.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
How come a free to view web series can be better than just about every video game movie ever made? I mean the 12 minutes of that and the preview thing I saw a few months ago, better than every video game movie I've seen combined.

Could it be that they're not restricted to trying to claw in a 'non gamer' audience, thus having to dumb it down and widen it's scope so regular cinema goers can understand it?

I've liked all the changes so far, with Reptile and Baraka's back story, it's far more believable than 'these guys popped thru a portal from another dimension', extreme body modification addicts and serial killing cannibals actually exist, after all.

I really do wish they hadn't had to have a 'its protocol' 'fuck protocol' scene however, it's THE biggest cliche in cop movies ever. I'll also be a bit pissed if Sonya changes from skilled FBI agent to damsel in distress all the way thru, just there to be pretty and get tied to stuff while the guys have a fight.

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
Mahorfeus said:
For some reason this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsvfP5BQxaw] comes to mind.

Awesome video though, I look forward to the next episode.
Hilarious.
The action scenes were great but the plot seemed thin, which is unfortunate because even for fighting games, I think we're at a point where video games can be held to a higher standard story-wise.
Why did Kano capture Sonya? Why didn't he just kill her? Why did he set a trap instead of just escaping?
Maybe my knowledge of Mortal Kombat is lacking, but none of it made sense to me.
Still not crazy about the "reboot" idea, but still glad to have a MK on the current gen systems.

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
It wasn't as grimy and gritty as the sizzle reel had been. I was hoping for genuinely brutal.

As for the quality of the fight scenes. What DO you expect for a 12 min ep web series made on a shoe string budget?? Excellent fight choreography takes a lot of time, it requires your actors and stunt players need to do a lot of rehearsal and it isn't cheap. You aren't getting Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Hero in a web series.

I loved seeing Jeri Ryan. Truly adore that woman, funny, geeky, gorgeous. I would have been happy to sit and watch her read the phone book.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
capacollo said:
Given its a web series(and assuming somewhat limited budget) the CGI is decent too.
i heard about it on yesterday's IGDaily. i think Warner Bros got involved with a guy who does that sort of thing to do this, so they funded it or something.