First image of Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Poison Ivy + Kerrigan - Camp = That. Not a good outcome though. Also...they are making a classic Power Rangers movie!?

Also I'm tired of Elizabeth Banks. Scrubs had me fooled that she was a good actor, but all I ever see her in is complete garbage.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Huh, the latest incarnation of Poison Ivy doesn't look half bad...

What do you mean, "that's Rita Repulsa?!" She looks more like a generic wood/dark elf than an evil cosmic sorceress.

Everything that made Rita visually iconic is gone here. Where's the comically large headdress? The absurd feathered collar? What about the pointy corkscrew breasts?! You gotta have the pointy corkscrew breasts! What is Lord Zedd supposed to get off on without those?

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Neverhoodian said:

What do you mean, "that's Rita Repulsa?!" She looks more like a generic wood/dark elf than an evil cosmic sorceress.

Everything that made Rita visually iconic is gone here. Where's the comically large headdress? The absurd feathered collar? What about the pointy corkscrew breasts?! You gotta have the pointy corkscrew breasts! What is Lord Zedd supposed to get off on without those?
I assume it's because elements of Scorpina were used in her design and she will fight the rangers at some point.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Neverhoodian said:

I was having trouble figuring out why it was that I didn't like it. I just knew there was something off that I couldn't quite place my finger on. Then, I read your post and realized that you hit the nail on the head. There is nothing that we associate with Rita in this costume. It's not even the right color scheme and actually very generic in appearance.

[sub]In my defense, I literally woke up ten minutes ago, and I am not a morning person.[/sub]

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Very...alien...looking? It looks like a standard fantasy cosplay with more accentuated eyebrows. That's about it. She looks like any normal human if it wasn't for the eyebrows. Not alien at all. Space is far more 'alien' than that. And as said before it's like they mixed poison ivy and kerrigan. I get the feeling this new power rangers movie will be a lot more gritty and serious than the originals. The camp and obvious Japanese roots was what drew me to the original power rangers. I doubt this movie will have that. I feel like it'll be another case of the creators not understanding the source material at all.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Am I... Am I the only one aroused by this? I mean... COME ON, MILF!! If she does the original Rita voice then its a boner killer. Well... maybe.

PG now. Let's see how this goes. The movie will lose its camp and yes Mighty Morphin was camp as fuck but let's see what Liongate can do with this?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Honestly, I'm fine with it.

I enjoyed MMPR as a kid, but as an adult, there are few Power Ranger series I can enjoy unironically, and MMPR certainly isn't among them. It's good a nice mix of being gritty, but also outlandish. Hopefully something that people of more than one generation can enjoy.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
I'm not sure about this.

I mean she looks the part of being an evil character but it doesn't scream "Rita the Evil Space Witch" to me.

So I will wait until I see the movie to make my final opinion.

Hope she captures the true essence of Rita or there might be a lot of upset fans out there.

Jeremy Dawkins

Oct 17, 2011
Why does she have dirt smeared all over her? Is it from the space dumpster? Honestly if she was meant to be any other human looking villain from more recently she would fit right in, but she's no Rita.

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
It could actually work if she initially wears the big stupid hat and cloak, and sheds them to fight. Not sure what the rope(?) around her neck is supposed to be, though.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hollywood. Adapt things and then make them look nothing like the original source material. I mean for fuck's sake, couldn't they at least get in her original color scheme?

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
erttheking said:
Hollywood. Adapt things and then make them look nothing like the original source material. I mean for fuck's sake, couldn't they at least get in her original color scheme?
There might be a giant mechanical reason for that:

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Saelune said:
Poison Ivy + Kerrigan - Camp = That. Not a good outcome though.
I don't know, it comes off more as Scorpina by way of the Green Ranger.

I just hope the Dragonzord isn't shaped like Rita. That could get awkward.

MatParker116 said:
[
There might be a giant mechanical reason for that:
Quick! Someone photoshop boob cones on that!

zero_traveler

Aug 14, 2011
If someone showed me that picture and told me it was Scorpina (Not a Rita/Scorpina hybrid, just the one by herself) I wouldn't bat an eye at this. It'd be an "Oh, that's awesome. Looks great!"

But that's supposed to be Rita Repulsa? ...and looks nothing like her?

I'm not saying they should have gone full-on, "I look like I took a bad tumble through an 80's Madonna Dressing room and hit every clothing rack on the way" but as several people have mentioned already, this looks nothing like Rita Repulsa.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Oh boy...

I'm annoyed by the costume change. It's just... why? MMPR is a decades old franchise that doesn't have a significant group of people who followed it for it's entire run. It's just 'generic punch'em up' for whoever happens to be young. I don't understand WHY they have to reuse old names with new costumes. It's the ultimate reboot bizarro story, because at least with other properties name recognition may matter. In this case, it doesn't. You're just changing things to be a dick to people who remember.

But... I'm just too tired to summon any real rage on this. Too many disappointing reboots/re-imaginings, too many disappointing things as a whole recently. Congratulations, Hollywood, Apathy Inducement was super effective.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
Oh boy...

I'm annoyed by the costume change. It's just... why? MMPR is a decades old franchise that doesn't have a significant group of people who followed it for it's entire run. It's just 'generic punch'em up' for whoever happens to be young. I don't understand WHY they have to reuse old names with new costumes. It's the ultimate reboot bizarro story, because at least with other properties name recognition may matter. In this case, it doesn't. You're just changing things to be a dick to people who remember.

But... I'm just too tired to summon any real rage on this. Too many disappointing reboots/re-imaginings, too many disappointing things as a whole recently. Congratulations, Hollywood, Apathy Inducement was super effective.
The beautiful thing is that we still have those shows and can watch them literally any time.

There's no reason to require this to stick to what we expect. Media often becomes generational, and that's okay. We wouldn't have Batman TAS, the versions of the X-Men everyone loves, any of the modern Sherlock Holmes versions, etc. without them. For better or worse. I mean, I personally think the Nickelodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is among or the best version (and being from where I'm from, I actually grew up on the Mirage comics), despite clearly being aimed at a modern audience.

So maybe this sucks. I don't know. I'm more concerned with what the Power Rangers' costumes look like. I think the tone of the costumes will tell us more about the final product, so I'm going to worry more when I see them.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Something Amyss said:
AccursedTheory said:
Oh boy...

The beautiful thing is that we still have those shows and can watch them literally any time.
God, why would I want to do that. I'm 29 for fucks sake. Power Rangers from my time in Elementary School and afterwards is terrible.

What little emotional response I can summon on this particular issue is mostly from a conceptual level. While yes, 'reimagining' is responsible for a lot of neat things, this seems less like a re-imagining and more like 'We just don't care, here's a sexier villain, in green because it's my fav.' It's the fictional equivalent of reshooting the Lincoln movie, only now he's a space man from the future, but when he was in the future he was from the past, and now he's here not to Emancipate, but to divebomb rebels in a genetically modified giant bald eagle.

And yes, I'm engaging in a bit of hyperbole.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
It's the fictional equivalent of reshooting the Lincoln movie, only now he's a space man from the future, but when he was in the future he was from the past, and now he's here not to Emancipate, but to divebomb rebels in a genetically modified giant bald eagle.
Okay, I actually want this to be a movie now.