First Look at Legend of Korra Book 4

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Nick is worst than FOX for their show handling.

After The Last Airbender they should had given 3 seasons to the new project no questions asked. Instead they got one, so they did what they could and left the ending open. Then they got a second with the potential for more if it did well, so they went all out. Only with the last season did they give two seasons going in.

As a result Korra's pacing and character progression are all messed up. I'm very interested to see if we'll get a new Avatar when Korra ends but seeing how Nick has been handling the show I'm not going to hold my breath.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Man, I predict so many people will continue to ship Korra and Asami. Not hard to do, honestly. And it doesn't look like Korra can move her legs in that clip. Makes me worry what will happen to her and how she will deal with it. Korra was always a more physical beast in contrast to Aang, so being unable to walk would be a blow to her.

Anyway, looking forward to the new season.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I like the direction they are taking with Korra. Clearly the physical damage is not as bad as what has happened to her mind.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
giles said:
Lightknight said:
So... they're doubling down on broody Korra...
That's disappointing. My complaint about Korra wasn't that she wasn't broody enough.
Well, I'm just happy they didn't immediately back out of having her in a wheelchair. That would be like admitting it was just for "shock" value.
Also, the possibility of the Avatar kicking ass and taking names in a wheelchair still intrigues me.
Seeing as she never "kicked ass and took names" when her legs worked, I'm going to decide against her being able to kick ass in a wheel chair.

One of my frustrations with Korra is that she's brash AND incompetent. Like Zuko, he was brash but he was competent in a lot of circumstances. But Korra rushes in and routinely finds herself getting bailed out by others.

This is unacceptable for an Avatar that has been in constant training and was able to bend three elements since she was a toddler.

At least Aang had the benefit of the doubt from being young and untrained in other elements. Technically, he started doing Avatar stuff only days after finding out about it from his reference (even though he was trapped in ice for 100years).

But she is brash, doesn't learn from her mistakes, and often cannot handle any of her other opponents. She has also repeatedly put the Avatar lifeline in jeopardy. Though I take issue to the whole "poison her so we can kill her in the avatar state". Are we really supposed to believe that hundreds if not thousands of generations of Avatars never experienced avatar-demanding stress before dying? How about Roku in lava? Something is inconsistent there.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Lightknight said:
Seeing as she never "kicked ass and took names" when her legs worked, I'm going to decide against her being able to kick ass in a wheel chair.

One of my frustrations with Korra is that she's brash AND incompetent. Like Zuko, he was brash but he was competent in a lot of circumstances. But Korra rushes in and routinely finds herself getting bailed out by others.

This is unacceptable for an Avatar that has been in constant training and was able to bend three elements since she was a toddler.

At least Aang had the benefit of the doubt from being young and untrained in other elements. Technically, he started doing Avatar stuff only days after finding out about it from his reference (even though he was trapped in ice for 100years).

But she is brash, doesn't learn from her mistakes, and often cannot handle any of her other opponents. She has also repeatedly put the Avatar lifeline in jeopardy. Though I take issue to the whole "poison her so we can kill her in the avatar state". Are we really supposed to believe that hundreds if not thousands of generations of Avatars never experienced avatar-demanding stress before dying? How about Roku in lava? Something is inconsistent there.
I had the same impression. When we first saw her bust through the wall and proclaim, "I'm the avatar!" I disliked her already. But... I gave her a chance. I've been around long enough to not judge characters based on their initial appearances.

But with Korra, the show and the titular character, it was just disappointment after disappointment.

Korra suffers from many problems, but the biggest is that the first season was only twelve episodes. It tried to do WAY too much. There were so many subplots that were either terrible because of bad writing, or terrible because they didn't have time to go anywhere. The ending was an Anticlimax, robbing Korra of any power as a heroine. The bending was toned way down, which in itself isn't a bad thing, I didn't think it was too big a deal. But when you come from a series were people were conjuring firestorms, moving cities, and all sorts of other stuff, sticking bending in a sport is pretty freakin' lame.

The worst part of the first season is the Romance. I don't even know why there was a romance sub plot in this. Well, that's not entirely true. I know why, because that's what you do nowadays, and it's awful. Romance is shoved into everything, especially where it shouldn't be, like in this show. I won't say this show wasn't ambitious, it was. It addressed issues like equality and privilege with the benders vs non-benders theme. It totally dropped the ball on it, but at least it tried. However in a twelve episode season, what makes them think they have time for a romance when tackling heavy issues like that? Not to mention the other subplots.

The other characters aren't any better. That part where Bolin sees Mako kiss Korra, then tells Asami. First thing Mako does is blame his brother in front of Asami. What a snake. This guy is an asshole, but Korra is worse. She's just a really bad character. She does things that any likable character should not do.

She kisses Mako with full knowledge that he's in a relationship with Asami. This was spurred on when Pema told that story about her stealing away Tenzen from Bei Fong because of Pema's whole "I just couldn't stand to see him with the wrong woman."

>implying there's a "right" woman
>implying she had any right whatsoever to interfere with another relationship
>implying she knew better than Tenzen
>implying that's somehow not a scummy thing to do
>implying that's worthy advice to give to a teenager

Then Korra says that cringe worthy "When you're with her you think of me..." to Mako. What the actual fuck? Is this real? Did the main character seriously act like this? THE PROTAGONIST?! Screw Korra. She doesn't even learn anything. It all works out for her in the end. These characters are sneaky and underhanded. If you want to send a message to kids, if that's a goal in any way, they should not be prospering acting like this.

I have to wonder, why the romance at all? Is it because Korra is a female protagonist? This kind of thing didn't exactly happen to Aang, did it? Like, having romance is one thing, but in the first season it really felt like it was just shoved in as #7 on the checklist. And it delivered like that, too. At this point I just wish they'd cancel the show and move on to something else. Nick moving it off the network seemed like nothing if not a giant vote of no confidence.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ishal said:
Lightknight said:

I had the same impression. When we first saw her bust through the wall and proclaim, "I'm the avatar!" I disliked her already. But... I gave her a chance. I've been around long enough to not judge characters based on their initial appearances.

But with Korra, the show and the titular character, it was just disappointment after disappointment.

Korra suffers from many problems, but the biggest is that the first season was only twelve episodes. It tried to do WAY too much. There were so many subplots that were either terrible because of bad writing, or terrible because they didn't have time to go anywhere. The ending was an Anticlimax, robbing Korra of any power as a heroine. The bending was toned way down, which in itself isn't a bad thing, I didn't think it was too big a deal. But when you come from a series were people were conjuring firestorms, moving cities, and all sorts of other stuff, sticking bending in a sport is pretty freakin' lame.

The worst part of the first season is the Romance. I don't even know why there was a romance sub plot in this. Well, that's not entirely true. I know why, because that's what you do nowadays, and it's awful. Romance is shoved into everything, especially where it shouldn't be, like in this show. I won't say this show wasn't ambitious, it was. It addressed issues like equality and privilege with the benders vs non-benders theme. It totally dropped the ball on it, but at least it tried. However in a twelve episode season, what makes them think they have time for a romance when tackling heavy issues like that? Not to mention the other subplots.

The other characters aren't any better. That part where Bolin sees Mako kiss Korra, then tells Asami. First thing Mako does is blame his brother in front of Asami. What a snake. This guy is an asshole, but Korra is worse. She's just a really bad character. She does things that any likable character should not do.

She kisses Mako with full knowledge that he's in a relationship with Asami. This was spurred on when Pema told that story about her stealing away Tenzen from Bei Fong because of Pema's whole "I just couldn't stand to see him with the wrong woman."

>implying there's a "right" woman
>implying she had any right whatsoever to interfere with another relationship
>implying she knew better than Tenzen
>implying that's somehow not a scummy thing to do
>implying that's worthy advice to give to a teenager

Then Korra says that cringe worthy "When you're with her you think of me..." to Mako. What the actual fuck? Is this real? Did the main character seriously act like this? THE PROTAGONIST?! Screw Korra. She doesn't even learn anything. It all works out for her in the end. These characters are sneaky and underhanded. If you want to send a message to kids, if that's a goal in any way, they should not be prospering acting like this.

I have to wonder, why the romance at all? Is it because Korra is a female protagonist? This kind of thing didn't exactly happen to Aang, did it? Like, having romance is one thing, but in the first season it really felt like it was just shoved in as #7 on the checklist. And it delivered like that, too. At this point I just wish they'd cancel the show and move on to something else. Nick moving it off the network seemed like nothing if not a giant vote of no confidence.
"I'm the avatar, deal with it" was what she said if I remember correctly. How the heck does she undergo two decades of the best training there is and turn out to be anything less than a near master?

Exactly, she's not likable and hasn't proven competent. I was hoping that we were going to see a truly powerful avatar that was facing even more powerful foes.

It's all such a waste. People are going to say that the show failed because of it being a female heroine but honestly, it's Korra as a character specifically. I've seen the show do wonderful female characters. Females that were entirely capable. But you're right, the embroiled her in a silly love triangle in which she wasn't even the main part.

I do like the other characters a heck of a lot more though. It seems like my favorite shows are without Korra. It's really disappointing to have a protagonist I don't enjoy.