First Look At Marvel's Jessica Jones - Gallery

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
First Look At Marvel's Jessica Jones - Gallery

Netflix has released its first photos from Marvel's Jessica Jones, introducing Luke Cage, Kilgrave, and Jones herself.

Netflix's Daredevil was great, but Jessica Jones [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142350-Marvels-Jessica-Jones-Hits-Netflix-This-November] is the Marvel series I'm really looking forward to. Based on Marvel's Alias comic book series, Jessica Jones follows an ex-superhero who becomes a private detective following a personal tragedy. But ever since its announcement, we haven't seen a glimpse of its actors in character - until today. Netflix has finally rolled out its first images from Jessica Jones, introducing Krysten Ritter's "Jones" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138895-Marvel-Krysten-Ritter-Jessica-Jones-Series-Luke-Cage], Mike Colter's "Luke Cage", and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139597-David-Tennant-of-Doctor-Who-Is-A-K-A-Jessica-Jones-Purple-Man>David Tennant's "Kilgrave".

While these images don't shed details on the plot, they give a great first glimpse at these characters. David Tennant is instantly chilling as Kilgrave, with his scarf being a nice nod to the "Purple Man" persona. It will also be worth watching Colter as Luke Cage, who gets his own Netflix series next year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139197-Marvel-Casts-Mike-Colter-As-Luke-Cage-For-Netflix-Series]. But most importantly, Ritter nails Jones' persona from a visual perspective, making her a great fit for a street-level Marvel series. If her performance can match it, Marvel and Netflix will have another hit on their hands.

Jessica Jones complete first season debuts on Netflix this Nov. 20, 2015.

[gallery=4717]

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/09/17/first-look-at-marvels-jessica-jones-luke-cage-and-more]

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
Fanghawk said:
David Tennant is instantly chilling as Kilgrave, with his scarf being a nice nod to the "Purple Man" persona.
That's disappointing, I wanted to see a purple Tennant...

Also while it looks promising, I have heard nothing that makes it stand out among the legion of soft sci-fi and fantasy police procedurals that already exist.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Stupidity said:
Fanghawk said:
David Tennant is instantly chilling as Kilgrave, with his scarf being a nice nod to the "Purple Man" persona.
I had the exact same initial thought.

Oh well... hopefully they just changed it so he can hide his skin color, and we'll see him full-on purple by series' end.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Stupidity said:
Fanghawk said:

Also while it looks promising, I have heard nothing that makes it stand out among the legion of soft sci-fi and fantasy police procedurals that already exist.
First thing that pops into my mind is: Are they going to white-wash her background or story arc in order to make it less "problematic"?

Let's face it, she's not had a good run in the comics. There was the entire mind control issue with the implied rape-y subtext, then a lot of failures and angst over her own abilities (to the point where no one actually realized she was gone for several months...) Finally her relationship has kind of a (reverse?) netori context to it when she breaks up with Scott Lang because Luke Cage knocked her up. It's hard to imagine a TV show in 2015/2016 that can have a female character experience any of these story lines without being lambasted. It's almost like this is too edgy right now in a lot of ways (sad to say).

Finally I agree on the genre supersaturation - as much as I would love to see some semblance of a Heroes for Hire show, I think Daredevil is filling that detective/urban crime niche pretty well at this point for Netflix. I'd rather see something different myself but I suspect that budget concerns (this is netflix after all) are probably a big deal. Special effects can't be cheap...

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Jake Martinez said:
Let's face it, she's not had a good run in the comics. There was the entire mind control issue with the implied rape-y subtext, then a lot of failures and angst over her own abilities (to the point where no one actually realized she was gone for several months...) Finally her relationship has kind of a (reverse?) netori context to it when she breaks up with Scott Lang because Luke Cage knocked her up.
Uh, is that what happened? I remember
her saying she was pregnant, and Scott said "Oh" and walked away with little else to add.

Also, I guess we're not flagging potential spoilers before the show is out? Not that Scott Lang is part of this story, or that the show will take that route, but he could have a stand-in.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Fanghawk said:
Jake Martinez said:
Let's face it, she's not had a good run in the comics. There was the entire mind control issue with the implied rape-y subtext, then a lot of failures and angst over her own abilities (to the point where no one actually realized she was gone for several months...) Finally her relationship has kind of a (reverse?) netori context to it when she breaks up with Scott Lang because Luke Cage knocked her up.
Uh, is that what happened? I remember
her saying she was pregnant, and Scott said "Oh" and walked away with little else to add.

Also, I guess we're not flagging potential spoilers before the show is out? Not that Scott Lang is part of this story, or that the show will take that route, but he could have a stand-in.
I think my point was more about if the storylines in general are something that can be shown, or if we are going to get a whole new character based off the original one instead.

Also, this can't be considered spoilers for a TV show that hasn't announced a plot yet. That's completely ignoring the fact she has a wikipedia entry... It's almost like if someone was making a TV show on George Washington and someone going, "Spoilers: He doesn't chop down the cherry tree!"

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
*squints*

Is that Carrie-Anne Moss on the left in picture 5?

EDIT: Whoops, never mind, just noticed the picture-enlarger.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
From superhero to private detective? Did she want to get more depressed or something?

Sep 13, 2009
Can I just say I'm liking the new image viewer?

The plot of this show sounds pretty interesting. I don't know any of the characters, but just from the images I've seen, Tennant looks like a little weird choice for Kilgrave

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Rastrelly said:
I already don't like what I see...
Sort of the same thing here. Every picture has Ritter giving about the same expression. And every other character seems to have a similar expression. I dunno. It just seems... well, Nolan/Snyder-esque.

Is that how Marvel Netflix has gone so far? I couldn't get a straight answer whether it was available on Canada's Netflix when Daredevil started, so I didn't try to get it. But if this is how Marvel is going on Netflix, I might just take a pass on it all. Part of what I like about the Marvel stuff is that it's not Grim-Dark. When I want Grim-Dark, I'll go and watch modern DC movie (other than Green Lantern, natch).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Tono Makt said:
Is that how Marvel Netflix has gone so far?
Well, there's been a total of one show so far for Marvel Netflix.

I liked Daredevil, though. While it had more than a few "dark" moments, the actors who play Foggy and Matt come off at legitimately likable characters who are true at least to the characters as I remember them. I'd say it's to the credit of the show that the couple of really "dark" scenes kind of look out of place.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Tono Makt said:
Rastrelly said:
I already don't like what I see...
Sort of the same thing here. Every picture has Ritter giving about the same expression. And every other character seems to have a similar expression. I dunno. It just seems... well, Nolan/Snyder-esque.

Is that how Marvel Netflix has gone so far? I couldn't get a straight answer whether it was available on Canada's Netflix when Daredevil started, so I didn't try to get it. But if this is how Marvel is going on Netflix, I might just take a pass on it all. Part of what I like about the Marvel stuff is that it's not Grim-Dark. When I want Grim-Dark, I'll go and watch modern DC movie (other than Green Lantern, natch).
The thing is these characters are supposed to be darker. Daredevil is a brutal vigilante with a hard past and Catholic guilt. Alias was published under Marvels mature comics imprint and addressed the seedy lives of heroes. Going a bit darker is the point of these characters and is true to he comics.

DC, however, keeps trying to make EVERYTHING dark, even when it doesn't work. Nolans Supernan should have inspired hope, not post 9/11 destruction fantasies. Even Batman is getting too heavy handed. That's the truly frustrating grim dark to me.

Luke Cage and Iron Fist should mix things up a bit for Netlflix, but it won't be until next year that we know for sure. Plus we need to see how Ritter handles Jessica, who had a great (if sometimes cynical) sense of humor in the comics.

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
First impression seems good.

Like others, I'm a bit dissappointed by Tennant not being completely purple. Hopefully he'll get there at some point. Anyway, Tennant has the chops to play an absolutely terrific Kilgrave, lookin forward to it.

Ritter seems like a good fit for Jones, especially for the time-period the series will be based on.

My only misgiving so far is Colter as Luke Cage. Colter, as far as I've seen him, often comes off as a very nice and friendly guy, so I'm left wondering if he can pull of the more gruff and menacing aspects of Luke Cage. We only have some photos so far though, of course.