First Look At The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
First Look At The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

After years of hiding in the darkness, Starbreeze emerges with a new publisher in Atari and an entirely unexpected sequel as they take us on a demo of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.

The setup for The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay could not possibly have been worse. Starbreeze's innovative first-person action title faced a PR nightmare the likes of which is rarely seen in the videogame space. The movie from which it owes its creation, "The Chronicles of Riddick," was blasted by critics and largely ignored by the general public, making it both a critical and commercial failure. Gamers, inherently distrusting of anything considered to be mainstream or dealing with pop culture, immediately rejected the idea of playing a game in which Hollywood strong man Vin Diesel is the protagonist. With moviegoers soured by a bum flick and gamers turning up their noses at Butcher Bay, it seemed as though the only audience Starbreeze had left was its critics.

And they loved it. Escape from Butcher Bay went on to become one of the best-reviewed titles of 2004, thanks in part to its brilliant pacing, impeccable level design and immersive environments. Unfortunately, with great press does not come great sales as Escape from Butcher Bay struggled to get out the gate, gradually picking up the pace in the following months. Starbreeze had crafted something truly special and knew it. All it needed was an opportunity to spring its creation on the masses once more. Displeased with Microsoft's faulty backwards compatibility on the Xbox 360 and with dreams of a sequel, Starbreeze got back to work on the world of Riddick.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is a package of two titles, Escape from Butcher Bay and the all-new namesake, Assault on Dark Athena. With Escape from Butcher Bay, Starbreeze essentially recreated the entire game to nearly exact specifications, only utilizing the brand-new technology built for Dark Athena to vastly improve upon the visuals, gameplay mechanics and enemy intelligence. The developers have also taken plenty of fan feedback into consideration, altering some areas of the game to be a bit more user-friendly, such as the notoriously complicated mines sequence in the opening hours.

While a remake of the original Chronicles of Riddick would be good enough on its own, the Assault on Dark Athena campaign, originally intended to be a brief addition to the remake, has ballooned into a full, ten hour single-player campaign, effectively acting as a sequel to Escape from Butcher Bay. The two games can be played in any order and act as stand-alone titles.

In the brief, 30 minute demo of Assault on Dark Athena given to us by Starbreeze, we saw Riddick stranded on the ship Dark Athena, fighting a brand new type of enemy known as Drones. While they seemed like your run-of-the-mill space marines at first, Drones are essentially remote-controlled human soldiers, with both automatic and manual controls. When they're being run in auto-mode, it's much easier for the stealthy Riddick to sneak about undetected as they're essentially robots, lacking true human perception. In manual mode, however, all of this changes as the Drones will actively hunt for Riddick, work together and use both sights and sounds to their advantage. The Drones can also come under the control of Riddick at certain points, providing a few refreshing, albeit mindless, shooter segments.

Since Chronicles of Riddick was never a shooter game, stealth and hand-to-hand combat still plays a central role in Dark Athena, with Riddick getting his hands on a new set of toys known as Ulaks. Think of them as a pair of brass knuckles with long, scythe-like hooks applied to the edges, making for some spectacularly brutal kills. It's not all combat, however, as Starbreeze's knack for inventive level design still appears strong, with Riddick crawling about the innards of the Dark Athena and using active Drones to make creative puzzle solving solutions.

For as long as Assault on Dark Athena has been in development, 30 minutes isn't nearly enough time to give a thorough assessment of how the project is coming along, but what's there so far is hugely impressive. Also on the agenda for Starbreeze is a multiplayer component which it will be showing off in due time, though the company's track record on the matter isn't particularly promising. What Starbreeze does is craft incredible, single-player experiences (The Darkness, for example) and is damn good at it. Its previous attempt at a creative, multiplayer experience with The Darkness fell flat and Starbreeze is looking to do something wildly different once more with Riddick. Fingers crossed for something great, but using the company's past work as an example, not every first-person title needs multiplayer, especially if it's simply to provide a bullet-point on the back of the box.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is due out early 2009 for both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Battlefrank

Jun 16, 2008
The Escapist is filled with PC gamers, we don't care.
Unless they make it to PC, then we will. Until then, only half of the escapist will care about this.

Hevoo

Nov 29, 2008
Battlefrank said:
Unless they make it to PC, then we will. Until then, only half of the escapist will care about this.
Fanboy

Chimpa

Dec 2, 2008
Battlefrank said:
You would be the voice of the silent majority would you?

Battlefrank

Jun 16, 2008
Hevoo said:
Battlefrank said:
Fanboy
Fanboy would be correct, if it's any consolation, I plan on looking into consoles as PCs constantly get assraped by DRM.

Hevoo

Nov 29, 2008
Battlefrank said:
Hevoo said:
Battlefrank said:
Fanboy
Fanboy would be correct, if it's any consolation, I plan on looking into consoles as PCs constantly get assraped by DRM.
First thing, nothing wrong with a PC fanboy.

Second, I'm glad they are going to do something with DMRs. Should be a industry wide standard.

The way they should do it is like so. The CD keys are imprinted in the CD itself. So you need a CD in your rom to even run the game. Now for Downloaded games, you do about the same just have the encryption embedded into the the install. But you also lock the activation code to your routing IP.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
This game looks really promising. I never got the chance to play the original, so I'm definitely going to check this out just so I can experience a movie-based game that doesn't make me want to puke all over my shoes. Socks. Whatever.

Arionis

Oct 19, 2008
I care 8O

I LOVED the first game. And truthfully, always loved the Riddick series, since Pitch Black. I even own Dark Fury.

This gets me excited.

Rankao

Mar 10, 2008
Battlefrank said:
Hevoo said:
Battlefrank said:
Fanboy
Its tough whenever your system of choice is constantly raped by developers. At the moment it looks like the only thing we got going for us is the modding community. That and better graphics capability(potential). I will also go for PC first my 360 Later though.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I had always meant to play the first one, but I never got around to it. The fact that the enemies can change from midless robots to thinking people seems interesting.

Johnny Danger

Oct 19, 2008
The first game was one of the finest to grace the X-Box.

Definitely looking forward to this, it will be awesome to play through the first game again with the updated engine.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Well I've played the first one to death, don't think I'd care for a remake with new graphics. I also got the PC version and I'd feel weird playing this on the PS3.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
I've been looking for a copy of the first one, but this looks great. I heard nothing but good news about the first one so i really hope the creators can keep the game up to standard. It would be terrible if this turned out to be a pile of crap.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Battlefrank said:
The Escapist community is full of all sorts of gamers. If you don't particularly care, that's fine, but don't presume that simply because you don't find it interesting, we shouldn't be talking about it.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
xitel said:
I had always meant to play the first one, but I never got around to it. The fact that the enemies can change from midless robots to thinking people seems interesting.
Or maybe the AI is so bugged the developers made up this elaborate story to explain why the AI will fight tactically some of the time and walk around like robots the other half. I'm sure its intentional though, Butcher Bay was a good game and the AI wasn't that bad. This coming from someone who doesn't normally enjoy stealth games.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Arionis said:
I care 8O

I LOVED the first game. And truthfully, always loved the Riddick series, since Pitch Black. I even own Dark Fury.

This gets me excited.
You what?

Just kidding, but in all seriousness the game looks about as awesome as I'd hoped it'd be. I always thought the Riddick universe would have made a great Battlefield-esque game, what with all the massive armies and all that. Look no further than the invasion scene in the second movie, you'll see what I mean.

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
Sweet. I missed out on it the first time around, now I can have the chance to play it.

ZantetsukenQ

Sep 25, 2008
Oh god. I think I just had a nerdgasm. This is awesome news. They were keeping quiet about progress till now. I hope this one gets more appreciation than the last.