First MW3 Review

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
It got a perfect score from The Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/video-game-reviews/8873601/Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-3-review.html]. Now I know the types of responses will either be something about Telegraph being unreliable, bribery, or people being influenced by hype, but seriously. Don't judge a game by the trailers you've seen. If the first review is a perfect score, and trust me, the reviewer knows about the hatedom as much as everyone here, chances are it's not the massive-failure-worst-game-in-history it'll definitely be made out to be tomorrow or later tonight.

And here's the last paragraph from the review for more context-

Modern Warfare 3 is a shining example of refinement and improvement. It's familiar, sure, but here familiarity doesn't breed contempt, just respect and reward for those who've dedicated so much time to the series. And for new players, it's the perfect starting point, more accommodating and encompassing than ever. The series has always been renowned for elements like the excellent sound design, the gloss, polish and compulsion of its gameplay, but with Modern Warfare 3, Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer have created a game that not only lives up to the brand hype but exceeds it. A game where the mass appeal is justified, and the expectations are met. A game which is undoubtedly going to be played for a long, long time to come, and deservedly so.

cgmetallica1981

Mar 15, 2010
Damn, aside from the grammar and spelling this is a pretty well written review.

For anybody looking for a good laugh, I direct you to "Mark McAllister" in the comments section of the said review.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
This doesn't surprise me.
Aside from being ridiculously over-hyped, the COD series is known for making good games usually. I loved cod 4 and World at War. It wouldn't surprise me at all if MW3 is great and I'm looking forward to playing at least the story. I'll see what the rest of the reviews look like first though.

jarkhideous

Mar 18, 2011
cgmetallica1981 said:

For anybody looking for a good laugh, I direct you to "Mark McAllister" in the comments section of the said review.
no joke all of his comments are bizarrely entertaining to read. lol

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
The series has always been renowned for elements like the excellent sound design, the gloss, polish and compulsion of its gameplay.
LoL, Wut?

I have never played a Call of Duty game that made me compelled enough to finish the story or the multiplayer.

And a Call of Duty with gloss and polish? No. Just no. Not after the beauty that was World At War

Either way, just another "Meh" from me. I wasn't expecting the series to change anytime soon, so I better sit back and enjoy the show. I'll probably just buy the game because everyone else is playing. Who knows, I might even enjoy it.

MIGHT.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Somehow, I feel that a perfect score reinforces my preconceived notion that this would be just another Call of Duty.

There is a chance I might consider borrowing it, since at least one of my friends will likely be buying it.

Alphonse_Lamperouge

Oct 19, 2011
jarkhideous said:
cgmetallica1981 said:

no joke all of his comments are bizarrely entertaining to read. lol
....i skimmed over the review, until i got to the comments. what an entertaining read. some people are just mental. he has to be trolling right? i mean i own the new battlefield, its not the end all he makes it out to be.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Good to hear.

Inb4 that the review was paid for but any other hype games *cough*Skyrim*cough* that will get good review scroes weren't paid for.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
neonsword13-ops said:
LoL, Wut?

I have never played a Call of Duty game that made me compelled enough to finish the story or the multiplayer.

And gloss and polish? No. Just no.
You haven't played it, don't be so quick to judge.

The campaign is full of gloss and polish - while it may not have the most detailed graphical textures and stuff like that it more than makes up with great lighting and locations, completely mad scripted sequences and an overall feel of smoothness and slickness (something I feel Treyarch's COD games tend to lack a bit)

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Holy fuck, just no. Please, PLEASE, let CoD die. I will kill myself if this game is actually good. I hate how popular it is. I fuking hate it. And before you rage, I go to highschool. I am surrounded by fucking morons who still think MW2 is balenced and awesome. I don't hate popular games, just the fact that everyone and their mom loves, plays it and talks about it all day. FUCK.

Mar 26, 2008
Be interesting to see how this one plays out. Some reviewers raked Gears 3 over the coals for being too safe and familiar. I wonder if they'll be more forgiving to MW3. Sack loads of cash says yes.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sup I said:
Holy fuck, just no. Please, PLEASE, let CoD die. I will kill myself if this game is actually good. I hate how popular it is. I fuking hate it. And before you rage, I go to highschool. I am surrounded by fucking morons who still think MW2 is balenced and awesome. I don't hate popular games, just the fact that everyone and their mom loves, plays it and talks about it all day. FUCK.
Wow... (you're probably joking about the killing yourself part but still) this is how bad the hate is gotten now? That people will literally say they will kill themselves if it is good? Wow...

Honestly, any bit of respect I had for any of the COD hate (which was little) just went down the drain.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Sup I said:
Funny, people have been loosing their shit at my school over Skyrim coming out in a week, and it got a perfect score from its first review [http://http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.321766-First-Skyrim-review?page=1], but obviously Bethesda didn't bribe the reviews for that game because its gundam Elder Scrolls, and Activison are a bunch of evil greedy pigs so they've bribed every reviewer they can get their hands on, so it's tooooooootally different. Right?

RIGHT?

OT: Sadly not inb4 Call of Duty frothing fanboy hate, but still glad that the first review is positive. Wont be picking this up day one, but it is something to think about.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Completed it in 5 hours. Was really impressed with the campaign although short as expected. Kept me on the edge the whole way.... Stylistic and over the top. But all the longevity lies in the multiplayer.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
and an overall feel of smoothness and slickness (something I feel Treyarch's COD games tend to lack a bit)
This is something my friends and I have always said about IW's games, almost everything about them is clean and efficient rather than Treyarch's more gritty style. Even things like reloading animations have much different feels, and I like the cleanness better.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Phlakes said:
If the comments on that site are any indication, then I'll need to avoid the internet for the next month or so after tomorrow because every thread will be about how crap MW3 is and how people can't believe it's getting so many high scoring reviews, despite the fact that it is likely to be a highly polished, functioning FPS with a decent single-player campaign and a well-rounded multi-player focus.

Haters gonna hate.

May 28, 2009
I feel it my duty to speak for all the hipsters of the gaming community by saying this game will obviously be rubbish because logic dictates that popular things must be rubbish.

I mean, that's why they're popular right? It makes complete sense!