First Paid DLC Hits The 3DS

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
First Paid DLC Hits The 3DS

Nintendo has finally launched the 3DS' first paid DLC (for a game you've never heard of).

Tobidasu Print Club Kiradeco Revolution is a Japanese 3DS app that functions somewhat similarly to the classic Game Boy Camera. You take pictures, use the barebones editing suite to alter their appearance, then share them with friends. It's a gimmick, is what I'm saying here, but it's also the first program to feature paid DLC on the company's latest handheld.

Andriasang reports:

The app, which was first released on December 27, received three pieces of download content yesterday. Players can download sets of decoration parts for use in decorating pictures. The Mario Kart 7 set, Spring Trial Set and Mario Basic Set each sell for ¥100, and each includes frames, backgrounds, and stamps.

I've embedded an image of the DLC above, but those of you who are totally enthralled by the 3DS-equivalent of Nintendo-themed stickers can hit up the Andriasang piece for a more comprehensive gallery.

Why did I not simply post the images here? In sum, they're terribly dull. One would think that Nintendo would want to make a big splash with its inaugural paid DLC -- maybe new courses for Mario Kart 7 -- but instead the publisher proves, once again, that it is depressingly hestitant to embrace online initiatives that became de rigeuer half a decade ago.

Maybe by 2015 Nintendo will have something interesting to show us.

Source: Andriasang [http://andriasang.com/comzyb/nintendo_3ds_dlc/]

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
Maybe by 2015 Nintendo will have something interesting to show us.
Maybe finally we'll get to some plumbing action in a Mario game. Nintendo should outsource Astragon [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astragon] for their 2013 Mario title, so that the franchise can be what it always wanted to be - a plumbing simulator.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Well they are going to put DLC in the new Fire Emblem game for the 3DS. And DLC for some weird Final Fantasy Rhythm game I'm not really that interested in. I guess those must have been delayed 3 years and nobody told me.

more OT: Meh. Sounds about as boring as it he put it. Let's just hope photos taken on this don't end up on Facebook.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
maybe new courses for Mario Kart 7
Oh man, I would kill for some more broken courses that can be exploited to hell.
I would play the fuck out of Mario Kart 7 if I could make my own courses.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
Was reeeeally hoping for some new characters for Mario Kart 7. The roster as of now seems... lacklustre. I mean, a giant bee? Wario as an unlockable character? No third party characters like R.O.B.? We don't need any more tracks, we already have too many that people are exploiting and that Nintendo refuses to patch. Don't think I have ever heard of a company refusing to fix a game-breaking glitch because they can't be bothered. That's quality right there. Maybe the reason Nintendo are hesitant on DLC is because they always assume their games are perfect on release... which they aren't.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Motakikurushi said:
Was reeeeally hoping for some new characters for Mario Kart 7. The roster as of now seems... lacklustre. I mean, a giant bee? Wario as an unlockable character? No third party characters like R.O.B.? We don't need any more tracks, we already have too many that people are exploiting and that Nintendo refuses to patch. Don't think I have ever heard of a company refusing to fix a game-breaking glitch because they can't be bothered. That's quality right there. Maybe the reason Nintendo are hesitant on DLC is because they always assume their games are perfect on release... which they aren't.
...wat? Nintendo hasn't fixed the problem because they can't just wirelessly patch it. They would actually have to go and change the course on the physical cartridges. But if they did that, only people who bought the game after that point would have the fixed courses, and then people with earlier cartridges would still be able to use the exploit.

(I know the 3DS thing isn't really a cartridge, but it's the best name for it that I have.)