First Person Arrested for Selling DS Homebrew Adapters

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Yopaz said:
Doom972 said:
JediMB said:
We live in a world where a man can spend thousands upon thousands of dollars/euros on entertainment equipment, but still refuse to actually pay for software.
That might be the problem right there - they come up every few years with a new, expensive system and new expensive games. That's why I don't bother with consoles in general.
I think that some people feel that because they bought a device for a very limited purpose, it's justified to pirate the games because otherwise they just got a very expensive paperweight.

Why design a new system for your game when there are already popular existing ones?
If they made games for existing popular devices like PCs, smartphones and tablets instead of the new and gimmicky Wii and 3DS, they could have saved themselves a lot of time and money. Sega already learned that lesson with the Dreamcast.
The same thing could be said for everything. Why come up with democracy when we already have a dictator? Why come up with fuel efficient cars when we already have some sort of motorized vehicle. Why have an endosymbiosis with an alpha proteo bacteria in order to get a mitochondria when we were doing just fine without it?

If you're saying we don't need to make up new technological advances you have complete lack of understanding both of how technology and the market works. People will tell you all the time that they wont buy this or that game because the graphics look dated. The GameCube is old enough for people to complain. Hell, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are old enough for that. Except for making new systems what solution do you suppose there is in order to improve on those things?
You missed my point completely. I didn't say we should stick to old technology.
I said that there are already platforms capable of running this sort of games - not older technology, but same-level technology. For example: smartphones can do the same thing the 3DS does (except perhaps the 3D vision, which is just a gimmick anyway) and Nintendo could have just developed games for that instead of creating another handheld device. They could have made games for a platform that many people own already, but instead chose to make a new handheld platform. Making people buy a new handheld device to play their games just doesn't seem like a good idea, considering the alternative.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
hey Nintendo this isn't going to stop people from importing or running pirated games on emulators.
JediMB said:
We live in a world where a man can spend thousands upon thousands of dollars/euros on entertainment equipment, but still refuse to actually pay for software.
but what if the software is out of print and impossible to find used? or region exclusive like a bazillion galge,s from Japan?

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Surely this kind of ruling should apply to all blank media such as CDs, DVDs, USB drives, SD cards; all of which you can store pirated software on. What's the big deal with R4 cards? I'm not even trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely interested. Is there some kind of law that prevents this particulare blank media from being sold, other than the potential for unlicensed software?

EDIT

I see there's also a little software involved here too. Maybe that's the problem.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Doom972 said:
Yopaz said:
Doom972 said:
JediMB said:
That might be the problem right there - they come up every few years with a new, expensive system and new expensive games. That's why I don't bother with consoles in general.
I think that some people feel that because they bought a device for a very limited purpose, it's justified to pirate the games because otherwise they just got a very expensive paperweight.

Why design a new system for your game when there are already popular existing ones?
If they made games for existing popular devices like PCs, smartphones and tablets instead of the new and gimmicky Wii and 3DS, they could have saved themselves a lot of time and money. Sega already learned that lesson with the Dreamcast.
The same thing could be said for everything. Why come up with democracy when we already have a dictator? Why come up with fuel efficient cars when we already have some sort of motorized vehicle. Why have an endosymbiosis with an alpha proteo bacteria in order to get a mitochondria when we were doing just fine without it?

If you're saying we don't need to make up new technological advances you have complete lack of understanding both of how technology and the market works. People will tell you all the time that they wont buy this or that game because the graphics look dated. The GameCube is old enough for people to complain. Hell, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are old enough for that. Except for making new systems what solution do you suppose there is in order to improve on those things?
I said that there are already platforms capable of running this sort of games - not older technology, but same-level technology. For example: smartphones can do the same thing the 3DS does (except perhaps the 3D vision, which is just a gimmick anyway) and Nintendo could have just developed games for that instead of creating another handheld device. They could have made games for a platform that many people own already, but instead chose to make a new handheld platform. Making people buy a new handheld device to play their games just doesn't seem like a good idea, considering the alternative.
So just because there's a system (Nintendo doesn't make) may be able to accomplish the same Nintendo should step out of the market since we don't need Nintendo? Brilliant plan. You should totally tell Nintendo that they don't need to make bucketloads of money on making new systems. They aren't needed because we got smartphones.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Yopaz said:
Doom972 said:
Yopaz said:
Doom972 said:
JediMB said:

So just because there's a system (Nintendo doesn't make) may be able to accomplish the same Nintendo should step out of the market since we don't need Nintendo? Brilliant plan. You should totally tell Nintendo that they don't need to make bucketloads of money on making new systems. They aren't needed because we got smartphones.
Not making a system doesn't mean getting out of the market. I don't appreciate you putting words into my mouth.
You can look up some Escapist articles about the 3DS's poor sales. A lot of money spent in R&D, marketing and production could've been saved by making games for an existing popular platform with the same capabilities.
If you are done twisting my words, I would like to remind you that the point of my original post is that the reason people buy an expensive system but pirate the games, is because they had to buy a system that for that exact specific purpose and nothing else, which makes them feel fine with pirating the games.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Yopaz said:
Why have an endosymbiosis with an alpha proteo bacteria in order to get a mitochondria when we were doing just fine without it?
Hate to derail a thread, but as a molecular enzomologist I'm contractually obliged to use that quote (with referencing, obviously), hope that's OK?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Doom972 said:
Not making a system doesn't mean getting out of the market. I don't appreciate you putting words into my mouth.
You can look up some Escapist articles about the 3DS's poor sales. A lot of money spent in R&D, marketing and production could've been saved by making games for an existing popular platform with the same capabilities.
If you are done twisting my words, I would like to remind you that the point of my original post is that the reason people buy an expensive system but pirate the games, is because they had to buy a system that for that exact specific purpose and nothing else, which makes them feel fine with pirating the games.
I am not putting words in your mouth. I am simply trying to point out how ridiculous the words you manage to utter are. Hardware and consoles have been just as important for Nintendo's wealth as games. What you suggest is that they give up on their gold mine. You suggest that they should stop releasing systems with graphics improvements. You fail to see that the smart phone community and the handheld game community aren't the same.

Also I have noticed that the 3DS had a slow start when it comes to sales. However unlike you I noticed the article a few months ago that the sales were picking up. I even read the article where it said that in only 8 months the 3DS had beat the sales of the original DS. I also wonder how you think that Nintendo should have guessed that the 3DS wouldn't earn them money. Their last 2 consoles have sold a lot. Is that an indicator that they shouldn't expand and make a new system? Earning bucketloads of cash is a bad thing?

I see you are really trying your best in order to make your case here, but I would advice you to stop. You have yet to show me a brief understanding of the market. What's worse is that you used outdated information in order to build your feeble case.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I wish mod device makers would bring in cheat codes so you can make the crappy games they make these days playable.. Also the device itself is harmless its what the indevendual uses it for, I'd rather side with that every time for most subjects then ban anything that might be used in a negative way.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
deathninja said:
Yopaz said:
Why have an endosymbiosis with an alpha proteo bacteria in order to get a mitochondria when we were doing just fine without it?
Hate to derail a thread, but as a molecular enzomologist I'm contractually obliged to use that quote (with referencing, obviously), hope that's OK?
Oh, don't worry about it. Use it as you want to, no need to add any references. I'm just delighted to see that my comment caused some amusement and I don't mind to see it used by someone else.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
So....what now? Can Sony say they don't want you playing burned DVD's on the PS3 and have you arrested?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
henritje said:
JediMB said:
but what if the software is out of print and impossible to find used? or region exclusive like a bazillion galge,s from Japan?
That's not what I'm talking about, and it's a lame excuse to begin with. It's people who straight up refuse to buy software because they don't see any need to when they can just pirate instead.

And as far as region exclusives go for this generation, the PS3 is region free and the Wii is extremely easy to be made region free.

EDIT: It is, at its core (I think), a lack of respect for software as a product.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Yopaz said:
Doom972 said:
I am not putting words in your mouth. I am simply trying to point out how ridiculous the words you manage to utter are. Hardware and consoles have been just as important for Nintendo's wealth as games. What you suggest is that they give up on their gold mine. You suggest that they should stop releasing systems with graphics improvements. You fail to see that the smart phone community and the handheld game community aren't the same.

Also I have noticed that the 3DS had a slow start when it comes to sales. However unlike you I noticed the article a few months ago that the sales were picking up. I even read the article where it said that in only 8 months the 3DS had beat the sales of the original DS. I also wonder how you think that Nintendo should have guessed that the 3DS wouldn't earn them money. Their last 2 consoles have sold a lot. Is that an indicator that they shouldn't expand and make a new system? Earning bucketloads of cash is a bad thing?

I see you are really trying your best in order to make your case here, but I would advice you to stop. You have yet to show me a brief understanding of the market. What's worse is that you used outdated information in order to build your feeble case.
Sure, keep saying that I'm against new technology and don't let the facts confuse you. I'm done being trolled by you.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Doom972 said:
Yopaz said:
Doom972 said:

Sure, keep saying that I'm against new technology and don't let the facts confuse you. I'm done being trolled by you.
I didn't say anything of the sort in my last post. You said that releasing a new handheld system was pointless because smart phones have the same capabilities I said Nintendo is dependent on their own platform to earn as much as they do. I also said that just because a smart phone got these capabilities it doesn't mean that everyone who likes handheld gaming is willing to replace their game systems with a phone.

You said that the 3DS poor sales was an indicator of how handheld gaming systems wasn't worth it. I pointed out that the sales had picked up several months ago and that the poor sales you referred to was a thing of the past.

Neither of these statements are stating that you are against all technology. All of them point out that you don't understand the market. Your response to it pretty much proves you have the lack of understanding for basic English too. Call me a troll if that gives you a smug sense of satisfaction and makes you feel like the moral victor in this. I don't care.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
Surely this kind of ruling should apply to all blank media such as CDs, DVDs, USB drives, SD cards; all of which you can store pirated software on. What's the big deal with R4 cards? I'm not even trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely interested. Is there some kind of law that prevents this particulare blank media from being sold, other than the potential for unlicensed software?

EDIT

I see there's also a little software involved here too. Maybe that's the problem.
The software/firmware you have to crack is the legal doorman Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. (They all do it. Proprietary control demands security.) put in place to get around laws of technical ownership and domain.
They essentially lay legal claim to your console, and while they "technically" do not own your hardware, in practice might as well.

And practice counts for a lot more than theory.

Since you have to bypass the doorman (which is illegal in most developed countries), you cannot actually make use of even any legal copies of homebrews you might have made or acquired without violating the law.

Keep in mind, this applies even when one isn't committing software piracy. Piracy is a big motivator for such measures, but it's not the only one. It's clear that Nintendo wouldn't want homebrews on their system either, since they see no royalties from those.

Which is why Nintendo had to get the Japanese government to outlaw R4s in the first place. Their other practices aim to extend the same type of legal coverage to other countries in practice for the betterment of their business.

Whether that's fair/unfair (right/wrong) I leave to you to decide, since that answer hinges primarily on one's personal views of copyright law in the modern world.