First Person Cat Simulator Catlateral Damage Kickstarter Begins

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
First Person Cat Simulator Catlateral Damage Kickstarter Begins

[kickstarter=chrixeleon/catlateral-damage]​
Chris Chung's Catlateral Damage, which spread as a popular demo early this year, is hoping to be a fully released game thanks to Kickstarter backers.

Chris Chung has begun a Kickstarter campaign for his game, Catlateral Damage, a first person cat simulator in which you knock stuff off of tables like any self-respecting cat would do. The Kickstarter campaign will end July 11.

When Chung was working on the alpha version of the game and released a demo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131349-Catlateral-Damage-The-First-Person-Feline-Game-That-Wants-To-Break-Your-Stuff], he worked as a QA tester. Chung said he lost his job in March, giving him more time to finish the game but less funds to do so. As a part of Ouya's Free the Games fund, the company will match all donations up to the goal amount (no more than $250,000). Chris Chung is asking for $40,000.

Catlateral Damage was born out of a game jam and inspiration from Chung's cat. Chung is adding several features to the full release, including tripping out on catnip, chasing a laser pointer, hacking up hairballs, exploring under beds, sitting in boxes, standing in doorways in indecision, acting indignant, and knocking over a huge TV - all real-life cat scenarios, as any person with a cat can attest.

But seriously, Chung has put a lot of thought into the game. Catlateral Damage is procedurally generated, meaning every playthrough is a little different as rooms, houses, and challenges will change. Additional cats will be added to the game for its release, and players will have to decide which cat fits the situation, as each cat has different special abilities from jumping high to strong muscles. Cats can collect power-ups to unlock new abilities, and catnip makes cats superpowered for a limited time.

Early backers will be able to grab a digital copy of the game (with Steam/OUYA keys) for $10. After this tier is gone, the tier will increase to $12. Backers should also expect to receive pictures of cats, Chung noted.

Should the Kickstarter be successful, Catlateral Damage will be available to play on PC, Mac, Linux, and Ouya this November.

[gallery=2724]

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrixeleon/catlateral-damage]

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Dafuq? I'm genuinely curious if this will get the required kickstarter funding. Seriously dafuq? Does this look like a fun game to anyone?

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
I got this extremely weird feeling that this is one of those games that I didn't know I needed...but now that I have seen the video...for some reason I need it. Okay...quickly, someone apply a blunt instrument to my sternum, I have clearly become delirious....I was going to use catatonic by I didn't think that joke wouldn't have panned out well.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
iseko said:
Dafuq? I'm genuinely curious if this will get the required kickstarter funding. Seriously dafuq? Does this look like a fun game to anyone?
Are you kidding? Walking around like a cat and destroying everything in sight, of course it's fun!

Play the online version :)

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
You've got to be kitten me! But, seriously, this game looks stupid in both execution and concept. The IRL video is funny, endearing, and cut as hell. But, give me a break.

Constapatience

Jun 15, 2012
90sgamer said:
You've got to be kitten me! But, seriously, this game looks stupid in both execution and concept. The IRL video is funny, endearing, and cut as hell. But, give me a break.
Yeah this is pretty silly. I pretty sure they might not meet the funding but I don't think it will be real Cat-astrophic if it fails...

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
For a second, I thought this was the greenlight game "Cat Simulator" which is clearly a scam. All they have shown for this "game" is pictures of 3D rendered cats on a blank rendering background. No gameplay, no environments, no concept other than "cats" to be displayed.

On the other hand, when I first saw Cat Simulator on Greenlight, I thought it was for this Catlateral Damage game, because I had seen a video months ago.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Huh... so that's why cats are always knocking pens on the ground. They're just going for a new high score. *GASP* Wait, what if what we thought were cats are actually people playing Catlateral Damage? *Head Asplode*

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Seems like this guy is hoping to ride on the tide of Goat simulators strange popularity. Although I hope its not as buggy and has more objectives that just knocking crap over.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Well, the people will pay for what the people will want. I don't see anything wrong with that. The video was kind cute and charming, and the backer rewards seem fair enough. The gameplay seems pointless but amusing, which is apparently the goal.

This is coming from a guy who paid full price for Goat Simulator, though.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I played the alpha for this game months ago and it was surprisingly fun; a friend of mine that happens to be a cat person went absolutely nuts over it. It reminds me of early Katamari Damacy levels where you're picking up pencils and candy.

It's both good and bad that the dev suddenly has more time to be working on the game: I hope he can get the funding to get it off the ground as it is a pretty sharp concept.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
Darks63 said:
Seems like this guy is hoping to ride on the tide of Goat simulators strange popularity. Although I hope its not as buggy and has more objectives that just knocking crap over.
Well it appeared I think 6 months before Goat simulator showed up. Infact the Escapist reported on it. And it was four months ago, so my bad.
Is it still kind've dumb? Yeah. But iunno, I'd might buy it for like 2 bucks.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
iseko said:
It is probably the best type of game related kickstarter, one that already has a game that could technically be released but with more money could be so much better. Its money for polish and content. The game itself is niche as hell so even if you don't understand why this is a thing, others do and they want it enough to put money towards it.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Strazdas said:
so somone decided to outdo Goat Simulator. more power to them i say.
Fun fact: This game was in development a fair bit before Goat Simulator became a thing.

kennyloo69

Nov 16, 2009
This game looks really boring. It looks like the type of game that would get old in like 10 minutes.

I'm sure youtubers would eat this game up though.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Point of order: According to Terry Pratchett, cats are quantum. Ergo, glitching through walls and distorting the laws of physics would not be an actual software bug...especially if the cat can catch it.

This looks like fun, so I hope they can make it.