First Person: Saying Goodbye to Vault Girl

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Gaboris said:
@JaceValm:
Sir... THIS just blew my mind, congrats! :D

This may sound like an overacted fanfic to SOME ppl, but anyone who was just as much immersed in this world would almost wet their seats if they heard this as an ending... at least I know I would've. :p

Great job man hope you have more ideas for other games. :)
I, ummm well thank you. This is just the way I envisaged Williams story to end. After having improved the lives of practically everyone else in the wasteland I couldn't picture him letting things lie, I always imagined him as a bit of a political idealist who genuinely thought about how to REALLY fix the problems of the wasteland. I had lots of fun imagining where his story would take him next.

Did I mention my plan for the next Fallout game? I wrote it one one of these threads a few months ago.

Ninjat_126 said:
JaceValm said:
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept, for there were no more lands for him to conquer."
I'd like to wish that my Fallout 3 Vault Girl would do that, but I have a feeling she'd probably go to Rivet City, talk to the council, and then punch them all in the face for being dicks. Don't worry, she's got a low unarmed skill, they'd live.

I'm not actually finished Fallout 3 yet, I'm trying to complete all the content and get a cheap copy of the GOTY edition before I take on the purifier. Still, maybe I'm just trying to keep Vault Girl alive a few more weeks?
Perhaps thats just how your vault girls story ends. Feeling frustrated the powers that be are incompetent and self serving? I'd suggest that you do get all the content and play it. You will be keeping vault girl alive for longer but you will probably also get a horrible feeling that now all your actions are leading up to an ending. A point where the hero, through their own actions, is rendered obsolete.

All the way through the last quest in Broken Steel (all quests and DLC completed except this one) I knew every action I took brought me one step closer to the ending. This was partly my characters motivation. After the death of James, my character turned his back on the Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave. He was finished with all that, he just didn't care. The Enclave attacked him from time to time but this was a mere distraction.

Then I completed 'Trouble on the Homefront' I discovered that the Enclave was attempting to enter Vault 101. Despite this I encouraged the dwellers to open the Vault. I did this because now my character had a purpose again. Of course he had rescued many people but he didn't know them. He just saved them and turned away, without a word. But now he had the chance to save people he cared about. His failure to protect his father weighed on his mind and when he left the vault there was a purpose to his life. Destroying the Enclave team near Vault 101 (you know the one by the playground?) he set out for the citadel. Now deciding to help the Brotherhood. Whe he discovered Colonel Autumn was still alive Williams feelings of rage at the Enclave had a focus and his self hate for his inability to save James was now placed on Autumn. Breaking free at Raven Rock he recovered his equipment and tricked Eden into destroying the base.

Then came the attack on the purifier. With vengeance and fury guiding him to the end of the battle.

Well, that was a bit long winded.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
JaceValm said:
Perhaps thats just how your vault girls story ends. Feeling frustrated the powers that be are incompetent and self serving? I'd suggest that you do get all the content and play it. You will be keeping vault girl alive for longer but you will probably also get a horrible feeling that now all your actions are leading up to an ending. A point where the hero, through their own actions, is rendered obsolete.
But are they rendering themselves obsolete, or achieving their goals?

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Ninjat_126 said:
But are they rendering themselves obsolete, or achieving their goals?
Maybe a bit of both. After a great success and achievement of all personal goals what then? What do they strive for?

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
I had a similar experience with my character in Oblivion. In the end I just had him put on his magic boots and simply walk on a river into the sunset. He will just go to the next country and have new adventures.