First Person Shooters Need Strong Multiplayer Says Crysis 2 Producer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
First Person Shooters Need Strong Multiplayer Says Crysis 2 Producer

Other genres and types of games can get away with having just a single-player game, says Crytek's Nathan Camarillo, but FPS games can't.

A strong single player game isn't enough for most first person shooters to succeed, not unless it's really strong. That's according to Camarillo, Crysis 2's [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Pc/dp/B002BS47YE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295356059&sr=8-1] executive producer, who believes that making a successful shooter takes an "awesome" multiplayer mode.

Camarillo didn't think that every game needed multiplayer, but said that a lot of that came down to a game's genre. For a shooter, he said, multiplayer was a must, unless a developer was making something really unique, and even then, only in the right conditions. Crysis 2, he said, would offer gamers a multiplayer experience that they hadn't had before, as it blended elements from military and sci-fi shooters and put it all in an urban environment. The nanosuits that the players wore - with their muscle and speed enhancing capabilities - offered a great deal of maneuverability, as well as the ability to cloak at will. These abilities helped to differentiate the game from its rivals, he said, as well as offering a lot of different ways to play.

Historically, multiplayer has always helped elevate certain shooters - games such as Quake or Unreal Tournament - above the rest. Not only that, but downloadable map packs now make multiplayer one of the best ways to continue generating revenue from a game post-launch. Crytek is clearly taking Crysis 2's multiplayer mode very seriously, as it has assigned its entire UK office - which used to be Free Radical Design, the team behind the TimeSplitters series - to work on it.

Crysis 2 comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on March 22nd.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=283889?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
I don't really get it.

I recently bought Crysis and I think it's one of the best FPS games I've ever played. I haven't played the MP, if there is any (I haven't checked).

I think FPS games that rely on their Single player mode are waaaaay out in front of the FPS games that rely on their Multiplayer.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Logan Westbrook said:
Historically, multiplayer has always helped elevate certain shooters - games such as Quake or Unreal Tournament - above the rest.
Yeah... this may be a bit backwards, it'd be more fair to say the Quake elevated multiplayer.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Well this doesn't excuse them from having weaker campaigns. But I agree multi-player is pretty essential in FPS games. And unlike most people on this site, I don't have a problem with FPS games being multi-player centric. Because the genre is only as big as it is because of its focus on competitive play....

And also!!!

Logan Westbrook said:
Crytek is clearly taking Crysis 2's multiplayer mode very seriously, as it has assigned its entire UK office - which used to be Free Radical Design, the team behind the TimeSplitters series - to work on it.

YES YES YES!!! the time splitter games are some of the best multi player games ever!! SO much win in that sentence.... Now I think I\'ll definitely get C2

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I thought Crysis's multiplayer was pretty... average? Single was good, but short...

Also, only 2 months to travel in time forward, buy those 64-cored CPUs and come back for Crysis 2.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you people hoping for a Timesplitters esque game, every video I've seen looks like Call of duty with nano suits.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Multiplayer in the original Crysis felt very much like an aside. The singleplayer experience, while enjoyable, could have been better as well. The Nanosuit was undeniably cool though, if a little reminiscent of a certain non-commissioned officer cyborg...

I'm still gunning for the second game, for consoles this time. While I'm not expecting it to look ultra streamlined with perfect textures at max settings, I hope graphics have been toned down so that the framerate doesn't dip whenever one of their hyped cinematic experiences crashes through a window or whatever.

Ossian said:
I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you people hoping for a Timesplitters esque game, every video I've seen looks like Call of duty with nano suits.
The original didn't feel like "Call of duty with nano suits", why would this one?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
i agree, but then again i'm not much for MP FPS' nowadays :(

But FPS' should always have that option.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Autofaux said:
The original didn't feel like "Call of duty with nano suits", why would this one?
Its called "the money bandwagon" if call of duty is making the most money in the industry, everyone is going to leech off of it.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I guess I can't disagree, in light of current sales figures. As someone who generally plays FPS'ers single player only though I will comment that I wish the games wouldn't just do the reverse. (IE have a solid multiplayer but next to no single player, ala MW2).

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Ratchet & Clank anyone?
That one hack-and-slash FPS free-roaming game that worked outstanding? One of my favorite childhood games.

Yeah, it offered multi-player at one time, but I was never interested. Can't see how anyone could be.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Of course FPS'es need multiplayer! Just like Half-Life 2!... actually, wait a second...

Nero Haven

Jan 14, 2011
I'm not sure I follow this. The way I'm reading this is 'FPS can't stand on single-player alone, unless it focuses on single player and making it great', which seems a bit...obvious.

I'm a huge advocate of NOT shoving multiplayer into every game out there, and these increasingly silly comments about multiplayer being the most important thing are begining to bother me. I hate playing stripped-down single player games because most of the time was spent on the multiplayer and map packs. I love some multiplayer, don't get me wrong, but I, and many others, settle down with one game/series for quite a while as far as multiplayer, so I can get used to it and excell at it. Making games that only appeal to multiplayer fans seems to miss a pretty big chunk of the FPS audience, and it certainly looks like we're heading down that road.