First Person Shooters Need Strong Multiplayer Says Crysis 2 Producer

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Hehe, get the British on the multiplayer.

We'll show those Infinity Ward and Treyarch Blokes a thing or too.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Eruanno said:
Of course FPS'es need multiplayer! Just like Half-Life 2!... actually, wait a second...
Remember, Valve had already established Half Life as a fantastic game prior to the console multiplayer boom. And Half Life 2 also came out before Call of Duty 4 turned FPS development into the circus it is now. Successful on its own merits.

I love Half Life 2, but the massive market outside of those interested in the Half Life series of games, the herpderping, noobtubing, griefers of the 21st century, wouldn't give a damn.

It's like showing the Sistine Chapel to bunch of misbehaving twelve year olds.

vrbtny said:
Hehe, get the British on the multiplayer.

We'll show those Infinity Ward and Treyarch Blokes a thing or too.
Also, this.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
So that's what happened to that Timesplitters work...that's a shame. Maybe when they're done though they can get back to work.

I kind-of disagree, but in a whole 'he has a point' kind of way. An FPS without multiplayer is fairly disappointing, but there are cases where including multiplayer would be tacky and game-breaking. Since I've just been playing it, I'll throw in Deus Ex as an example.

But for action-heavy FPS's like Crysis, CoD, Halo and Timesplitters: yes, multiplayer is a must.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Other genres and types of games can get away with having just a single-player game, says Crytek's Nathan Camarillo, but FPS games can't.
Portal? Halflife series? Star Wars: Republic Commando? Bioshock/System Shock (2)? Deus Ex?

I assume Portal 2 will lack multiplayer too.

On the reverse side, TF2 lacks any real singleplayer.

Bully on you for saying such a thing, Mr. Camarillo, I'm afraid I couldn't disagree more. The inclusion of multiplayer is most certainly not a necessary for FPS games. Having a poorer single player to accomodate a lackluster multiplayer is a bad idea. Similarly, having a poorer multiplayer to accomodate a lackluster single player is just as bad. If you can make both good: Great, but I see no reason why you can't focus on just one.

Camarillo didn't think that every game needed multiplayer, but said that a lot of that game down to a game's genre.
Typo! Should be "that *came* down to a game's genre." :)

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Amnestic said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Other genres and types of games can get away with having just a single-player game, says Crytek's Nathan Camarillo, but FPS games can't.
Portal? Halflife series? Star Wars: Republic Commando? Bioshock/System Shock (2)? Deus Ex?

I assume Portal 2 will lack multiplayer too.

On the reverse side, TF2 lacks any real singleplayer.
Actually, Portal 2 was going to have competitive multiplayer, but it didn't work properly and was axed in favor of co-op maps. The Half-Life series has a multiplayer mode, as did Republic Commando.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Bullshit. First Person Shooters need both a strong multiplayer and a strong campaign with a decent length. I'm sick of the campaigns of most FPS games being a six hour tutorial for the multiplayer.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Am I the only one tired of hearing these guys talking about how awesome their game is going to be on this site?

Anyway, I don't think that's true. Multiplayer is always a nice addition to a game, but single player should come first. Unless your game is multiplayer only of course.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Autofaux said:
The original didn't feel like "Call of duty with nano suits", why would this one?
Because crytek are a bunch of sellouts trying to ride on cod's hype trail. Go watch the released multiplayer footage, the only way this is related to the previous game is by the name.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Xzi said:
Think about the first FPS you genuinely had a ton of fun playing. Was it single-player only? Doubtful.
Ultima Underworld. Single-player. First FPS I played (before Wolfenstein 3D even). Fun as hell.

Another candidate for Mac-heads would be Pathways Into Darkness. You know, the game those Marathon/Halo guys started with?

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Asehujiko said:
Autofaux said:
The original didn't feel like "Call of duty with nano suits", why would this one?
Because crytek are a bunch of sellouts trying to ride on cod's hype trail. Go watch the released multiplayer footage, the only way this is related to the previous game is by the name.
From what I saw, and to start there is not a lot on display, it resembles the speed of play from Call of Duty. But I saw holograms and suit powers, which makes is feel more like Halo. And the SCAR had a massive amount of recoil, which also made it feel like Halo.

In that case, its more of a blending, which is what I believe we'll be seeing more of among first person shooter multiplayer components. Sure, you have your outliers like Brink which change the whole dynamic of the game by making a new primary function essential to combat, but otherwise, the balance of what feels best as a game and what feels best realistically is quickly being refined. There may be different camps which agree on different aspects, but the games all function brilliantly within their design document.

Also, let's wait until the game comes out until we bring judgment on a title.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I don't dispute that most FPS games need a strong multiplayer element in this day in age to attract buyers, however if I'm expected to drop $109 on the latest Medal of Halo: Modern Company game I damn well expect a single player game as well that will last longer then 6 bloody hours.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
For a shooter, he said, multiplayer was a must, unless a developer was making something really unique, and even then, only in the right conditions.
Translation: either make something awesome and innovative with a deep and stimulating story, diverse range of interesting characters set in a colourful and imaginative world, or just make some derivative piece of crap and hope people like the multiplayer lots. Yep, sounds about right.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
From my experience the addition of multiplayer (especially a reliance upon it) means great commercial success (so long as the servers run smoothly), while often also resulting in lowered critical acclaim.

I am certain that, for example, the Mass Effects would've sold more if they had included a multiplayer mode. But I am also dead certain that their content and polish would not have been half of what it was, if multiplayer was indeed slapped onto the games as well.

That said, multiplayer doesn't automatically mean that a game sucks. But still, seeing how pigeonholed the Black Ops storyline actually was from that one youtube video...it is very obvious that putting all your eggs in the basket of multiplayer tends to almost always result in a derivative product with very little artistic merit.

Apr 28, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Crysis 2, he said, would offer gamers a multiplayer experience that they hadn't had before, as it blended elements from military and sci-fi shooters and put it all in an urban environment. The nanosuits that the players wore - with their muscle and speed enhancing capabilities - offered a great deal of maneuverability, as well as the ability to cloak at will. These abilities helped to differentiate the game from its rivals, he said, as well as offering a lot of different ways to play.
So far all I've seen of the Crysis 2 multiplayer indicates that its just "Call of Duty: Crysis Edition". The suit seems to just be this game's gimmick to loosely differentiate it. Yes it is being developed by Free Radical, which does intrigue me, but unless you show me something that doesn't look like a re-skinned Call of Duty, I'm not interested in the multiplayer.

Crysis 1's multiplayer was really interesting, if a little rough. It was a combination of Counter-Strike and Battlefield. Why not just polish that up some more and offer that?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I don't necessarily agree. Multiplayer in FPS games helps them sell and can be very fun, but it isn't necessary. I personally would take a good singleplayer over an equally good multiplayer any day.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
And yet HL2 is often listed as one of the best shooters (if not games) of all times, despite its totally crappy DM multiplayer.

Andronicus said:
Logan Westbrook said:
For a shooter, he said, multiplayer was a must, unless a developer was making something really unique, and even then, only in the right conditions.
Translation: either make something awesome and innovative with a deep and stimulating story, diverse range of interesting characters set in a colourful and imaginative world, or just make some derivative piece of crap and hope people like the multiplayer lots. Yep, sounds about right.
I think this is pretty much the subtext of his statement.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Abedeus said:
Also, only 2 months to travel in time forward, buy those 64-cored CPUs and come back for Crysis 2.
Not needed. This new installment actually uses LESS system resources, which I find incredible.

On topic however, I believe he is ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY WRONG. Valve, PLEASE don't take any of this seriously, keep the Half Life series Single Player, that is what you do best, and I suggest that no one else takes this seriously either.