First Photo of Andrew Garfield as 'Spider-Man' Revealed

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
So one of the first photo of Andrew Garfield as Spider-man is revealed.

So far it's kinda passable for me at least and he's not as muscular as Tobey Maguire when he was Spider-man.

So my fellow Escapists, what do you think? do you like it or not?

Will this be as good as the first movies? or Is this destined to fail?

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Oh dear, I saw this last night and my thoughts remain unchanged about it.

It's absolutely horrifyingly bad. What the hell have they done to his costume?

Looks a bit like a Lizard might have scratched him though. Hmmmm. I wonder if Spider-Man knows any Lizards.
Just putting it out there.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Initial reaction: Could be a hell of a lot worse. I never saw Spiderman as the "buff" kind of superhero anyway. Swift, wiry and maneuverable... Looks good to me.

But where's the mask? Why is he so broody anyway?

[sub]The movie is guaranteed a good first response but I'm not sure. We'll see if it compares well to the trilogy.[/sub]

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Looks like my body with someone elses face. Creepy. Can't say much from just one picture. Just have to wait and see.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I personally prefer it. Tody looked to big in the costume, my favourite versions of Spidey have always been small and skinny. It also looks less professional, in never made sense in the old Spidey films how he managed to make it with that silver spiderweb design on it. It does look less classic though, and honestly I was hoping to see Spiderwebs under his arm pits like the very old school character.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Redlin5 said:

[sub]The movie is guaranteed a good first response but I'm not sure. We'll see if it compares well to the trilogy.[/sub]
Maybe its after Ben dies?

Could explain why the costume looks a bit shoddy as well.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
EcksTeaSea said:
Looks like my body with someone elses face. Creepy. Can't say much from just one picture. Just have to wait and see.
YOUR SPIDERMAN! :O

And, I thought the new costume was alright, he sort of fits the bill for Spider-Man, just curious to see the mask.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
Why is every superhero dark on the inside? Could it be any more fake and clique?

I'm reminded by a comedic song, I Can Have a Dark Side Too.
you mean this one?

OT: why the hell did spiderman need a reboot?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
SomeLameStuff said:
Redlin5 said:

Maybe its after Ben dies?

Could explain why the costume looks a bit shoddy as well.
Didn't think he'd get the costume until after he was over that... Ah, whatever.

He could have just been in a battle with mutant moth people for all we know :p

Droppa Deuce

Dec 23, 2010
Urgh, this is so bad.

How does he get such a costume? I liked the wrestling storyline in the first movie, seeing Peter in his PJ's.

His body type is wrong for me, but not a problem. This is just too soon for a reboot. Like the Hulk movies, it just feels wierd.

Marvel, face it. DC have made a fraction of the movies you have and they STILL win with Nolan's Batman movies alone. Give up and focus on quality, not quantity.

P.S. a Dr Strange movie done properly would be so sweet.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
I actually like it. Its still the same suit just reworked. Kinda like Superman's in Superman Returns. Soe how though, I get the idea that this might be a prototype. Like the Sweater/Balaclava costume from his "career" as a wrestler. I mean, his gloves are segemnted after all. That's just me though.

Oh and whoever thought of Garfield is genius. Dude has the look down.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Droppa Deuce said:
Urgh, this is so bad.

How does he get such a costume? I liked the wrestling storyline in the first movie, seeing Peter in his PJ's.

His body type is wrong for me, but not a problem. This is just too soon for a reboot. Like the Hulk movies, it just feels wierd.

Marvel, face it. DC have made a fraction of the movies you have and they STILL win with Nolan's Batman movies alone. Give up and focus on quality, not quantity.

P.S. a Dr Strange movie done properly would be so sweet.

You mean the movies that while excellent more or less put a bullet between the eyes of us ever seeing a Justice League movie, yeah, thats win alright.....

...though if Avengers flops, maybe its one of those blessings in disguise.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Didn't spiderman make his own suit? that thing looks like a weird DARPA project material more than something a nobody could buy off the internet.

as for the moody looks, we don't want another batman. the character suited being all dark and moody, spiderman doesn't so take it back to the light hearted roots of the comic

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Looks like the skinny Ultimate Spider-man version. Since i like that comic, i´m okay with this. I´m also liking the mechanical web-shooters, the stylized gloves and the way they removed the belt. Pretty cool.But i hope they get the mask right.

Oh, and those are definitly Lizard slashes at his chest. He might be brooding because he just saw his teacher/mentor/friend transform into an evil deadly creature who tried to kill him?