First Photo of Andrew Garfield as 'Spider-Man' Revealed

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Still think the actor looks like a grade-A douche, but I do like that suit. The mask design is important, though, won't say anything final about the suit design until I see it.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Redlin5 said:
Didn't think he'd get the costume until after he was over that... Ah, whatever.

He could have just been in a battle with mutant moth people for all we know :p
Well he did do the wrestling thing in the comics with a homemade suit before he got his main one, this could be it.

Anyway, I really hope this isn't the real final suit. Looks waaaaaay too dark and edgy for Spider-man. He's supposed to be witty and light-hearted dammit! Don't make everything Batman!

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
He looks alright, as long as he's not as wimpy like before. I couldn't stand him getting kicked around all the time by landlords, bosses and girlfriends in the last movies. Man up and fight some crime.

tweedpol

Nov 19, 2009
Is he brooding? Is he absent mindedly looking down to make sure he's not stepping on the cracks? You can get some nasty face scratches if you misjudge an uneven paving slab. OCD spiderman would rock.

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
Looks like he'll be using the "web shooters" this time, look at his wrists. Something about the web shooters always puzzled me: how can a pill sized contraption store enough "web goo" to necessitate days and days of web slinging?

Also, I think his costume is just fine, I have no problems with it. Wait for the movie to come out, or at least a trailer before you start all the bashing.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I have to say wtf. Costume for a start doesn't look spiderman's. NO MASK and he is walking down a street. :[ I don't like this one bit.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
SomeLameStuff said:
Redlin5 said:
Didn't think he'd get the costume until after he was over that... Ah, whatever.

He could have just been in a battle with mutant moth people for all we know :p
Well he did do the wrestling thing in the comics with a homemade suit before he got his main one, this could be it.

Anyway, I really hope this isn't the real final suit. Looks waaaaaay too dark and edgy for Spider-man. He's supposed to be witty and light-hearted dammit! Don't make everything Batman!
You do realise he's only light-hearted and witty because its a coping mechanism used to put up with soe pretty fucked up things right? Like holding yourself responisbile for your father figure's death, witnessing your best friend's father die, having to fight a literal lizard man...don't get me started on The Rhino.

If anything, Spidey here is looking all Emo is beacuse its juxtaposition. He cant be funny all the time. That is meant to be a teenager under the mask.

titaniumChampion

Nov 27, 2009
Quantum Roberts said:
Oh and whoever thought of Garfield is genius. Dude has the look down.
This had me rolling the ground laughing for a long time. Whether you meant the pun or not, that was awesome.

OT: Webshooters?! This will lead to the most unfortunate plot point that we've seen countless times on the animated show. "Oh noes, I don't have any more cartridges, and that would really help in this fight." Also, they seem to be trying to capture the dark and brooding of Batman, with the edgy and gritty-ness of a Watchmen/Kick-ass movie. I didn't think that Iron Man did awful at all, and that didn't need to be excessively dark or gritty in its portrayal of the character. I loved Iron Man, and hated The Dark Knight. I walked out of the Iron Man feeling impressed and empowered, while The Dark Knight left me feeling depressed and annoyed that I sat through a domestic terrorist plot with very little heroic action. As I've complained before, Batman was entirely unnecessary in the film. Things happened regardless of whether he was involved or not.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Wait... is... is he wearing his Web Shooters?

Good job, Spiderman reboot- you just earned yourself some interest from me. I still can't say if you'll even compare to the first Spiderman movie, but I'll definitely go and see you.

I do hope this is a representation of Ultimate Spiderman, oh, I really do.

Blitzwarp

Jan 11, 2011
I didn't really see what was wrong with Tobey Maguire being Spider-Man so I'm "meh" about the reboot anyway, but I think the costume looks cool.

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
I liked Toby Maguire as Spider-Man. Maybe a bit too buff, but whatever, I enjoyed the first film (woo Willem Dafoe!) and absolutely adored the second (even more woo Alfred Molina!).

The third? Absolutely hated it. Shoddy writing made it feel like I was watching a live-action Disney flick, and don't get me started on that emo crap. Interesting to note that its villains weren't that great actors either.

So, I'm looking forward to a reboot to make up for the catastrophic third film.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
Crystal Cuckoo said:
I liked Toby Maguire as Spider-Man. Maybe a bit too buff, but whatever, I enjoyed the first film (woo Willem Dafoe!) and absolutely adored the second (even more woo Alfred Molina!).

The third? Absolutely hated it. Shoddy writing made it feel like I was watching a live-action Disney flick, and don't get me started on that emo crap. Interesting to note that its villains weren't that great actors either.

So, I'm looking forward to a reboot to make up for the catastrophic third film.
What about Sandman? I thought he did a good job. Just didn't get the screen time. Had the film dealt with Peter dealing with Revenge VS Forgiveness with the suit being introduced in the third act it would have been ok.

You could've built Eddie and Peter's relationship and could have even teased us with Harry remembering the New Goblin at the end.

Done right, the Raimi Spiderman films could have easily become a sextology

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Droppa Deuce said:
Marvel, face it. DC have made a fraction of the movies you have and they STILL win with Nolan's Batman movies alone. Give up and focus on quality, not quantity.
but remember what it took for DC to get to Nolan's Batman

need I remind you, the bat credit card?

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
Why is every superhero dark on the inside? Could it be any more fake and clique?

I'm reminded by a comedic song, I Can Have a Dark Side Too.
remember when they retconned superman a few months ago and gave him a new appearance:

the reason they gave is to appeal for the "twilight" generation.

just because fake emo vampires become a hit doesn't mean that they have to include comic books with it.

well but since i am one of those people who don't give a damn about comic books i don't care.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Antonio Torrente said:
So one of the first photo of Andrew Garfield as Spider-man is revealed.

So far it's kinda passable for me at least and he's not as muscular as Tobey Maguire when he was Spider-man.

So my fellow Escapists, what do you think? do you like it or not?

Will this be as good as the first movies? or Is this destined to fail?
I miss the old happy go lucky spiderman of yore you know...? "Here's web in your eyes!" And so on and so forth.
they've made spiderman too edgey... spiderman is not Edgey!!! >.<
-Tabs<3-

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
When I saw the title I just saw "Garfield as Spiderman" and was disappointed. It looks quite good. I hear they're going for more Ultimate Spiderman feel so hopefully it'll turn out good.