First Photo of Andrew Garfield as 'Spider-Man' Revealed

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
That Guy Who Phails said:
Nile McMorrow said:
I have to say wtf. Costume for a start doesn't look spiderman's. NO MASK and he is walking down a street. :[ I don't like this one bit.
Redlin5 said:
Initial reaction: Could be a hell of a lot worse. I never saw Spiderman as the "buff" kind of superhero anyway. Swift, wiry and maneuverable... Looks good to me.

But where's the mask? Why is he so broody anyway?

[sub]The movie is guaranteed a good first response but I'm not sure. We'll see if it compares well to the trilogy.[/sub]
Of course they showed him without his mask, how else would you know it was Andrew Garfield?

If they showed him with his mask, then it would be just "2012 Spiderman costume revealed.", the mask is in his right hand btw.
I thought people already knew that Andrew Garfield was the actor playing Spider-man in the reboot and Spider-man never takes off his mask unless he is at home, with Mary Jane, in an alleyway or during an Epic fight. And the only times I've seen Spidey walking down a street is when he has had the crap beaten outta him by some super-villain. This Spidey looks like he got beaten up trying to impress someone.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
Daedalus1942 said:
I miss the old happy go lucky spiderman of yore you know...? "Here's web in your eyes!" And so on and so forth.
they've made spiderman too edgey... spiderman is not Edgey!!! >.<
-Tabs<3-
Again, people are only taking this picture at face value and completely out of context. For all we know, Spiderman may just be as witty as he was last time. Perhaps more so. All this pic is is a snapshot of the costume sans mask, its really not a whole lot to go on in terms of personality.

Y'know, even comedians can cry.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
Again, really don't see why the series needed to be rebooted but, meh what can you do. Ultimate spidey, interesting. That along with Rhys Ifans as Doctor Connors and those suspiciously reptilian looking slashes on the new suit has piqued my interest. Okay Sony. Show me what you've got.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
*Looks at picture for several minutes, scratches head, strokes chin* Hm...ok. Sure, that could work. Why the hell not?

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Droppa Deuce said:
Marvel, face it. DC have made a fraction of the movies you have and they STILL win with Nolan's Batman movies alone. Give up and focus on quality, not quantity.

P.S. a Dr Strange movie done properly would be so sweet.
This isn't Marvel, this is Sony desperately churning out a movie so that the license doesn't return to Disney/Marvel's in house studio that is producing all the Avengers based movies. It's the same reasons we'll see more appalling X-men and Wolverine movies (Fox owns the rights to make their movies atm I think).

You've got to admit Marvel's own attempt to establish continuity is quite ambitious, if it succeeds they'll be rolling in the cash money.

And yes a Dr Strange movie is much needed.

blakfayt said:
Spider-Man is one of two heroes I've always wanted to see emoed, mainly because spiderman's constant, I guess you'd call them "quips", are annoying, and I wish he'd take it more seriously when shit gets real, and since that's what this guy looks like, and along with the "modern superman" graphic novel coming, I must say that my two greatest superhero desires will soon be fulfilled.
Except those quips are what have made up a part of his character for over 60years. Making Spiderman stop joking is like making Captain America stop being patriot or Luke Cage a black stereotype (okay that change was for the best). Word to wise though, Superman isn't really emo at all in the recent comic causing all the fuss, so I wouldn't get it for that.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Daedalus1942 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
So one of the first photo of Andrew Garfield as Spider-man is revealed.

So far it's kinda passable for me at least and he's not as muscular as Tobey Maguire when he was Spider-man.

So my fellow Escapists, what do you think? do you like it or not?

Will this be as good as the first movies? or Is this destined to fail?
I miss the old happy go lucky spiderman of yore you know...? "Here's web in your eyes!" And so on and so forth.
-Tabs<3-
Emo characters are hit right now, If there's something to blame.

Blame this:

Metropocalypse

Aug 22, 2009
For the people saying the costume doesn't look like a teenager could have made it: To me it looks almost like a motorcycle outfit of some sort that has been dyed. Look at the gloves.

Also, nobody's mentioned the rucksack he's carrying?

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
Metropocalypse said:
For the people saying the costume doesn't look like a teenager could have made it: To me it looks almost like a motorcycle outfit of some sort that has been dyed. Look at the gloves.

Also, nobody's mentioned the rucksack he's carrying?
Hey yeah! That is a rucksack!!
No doubt in my mind now. This IS the wrestler suit!

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Quantum Roberts said:
Daedalus1942 said:
-Tabs<3-
Again, people are only taking this picture at face value and completely out of context. For all we know, Spiderman may just be as witty as he was last time. Perhaps more so. All this pic is is a snapshot of the costume sans mask, its really not a whole lot to go on in terms of personality.

Y'know, even comedians can cry.

I was referring to last time also.
he wasn't quick witted or corny when Tobie Mcguire played him either.
i want the smartarse comments, the sharp wit, the corny puns and so on and so forth.
-Tabs<3-

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I hope they're not making him all emo again, it was bad enough last time.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Costume is terrible. Spiderman doesn't look that wimpy either.

Give me back Toby Maguire and his Spiderman!

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
This is bullshit spidey has always been the wise cracking little shit not some emo twat,It's like making deadpool not break the fourth wall,it's ridiculous.

HitsWithStyxx

Nov 26, 2009
AmayaOnnaOtaku said:
OT: why the hell did spiderman need a reboot?
Might I hazard that Spiderman 3 was horrendous, and they rushed their way through the timeline too much?

I think that this reboot is a very welcome one. And I think the new costume is good, identifies it as being separate from the Raimi films. Also, if they hadn't changed the outfit, people would've complained too; double standard?

I'm just pleased to see those webshooters peeking around from the underside of his wrist, more than anything ;D No more of this organic web rubbish; that should've been saved for the Symbiote Suit.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
+1 to all the comments that have pointed out that an image shouldn't be judged out of context (imagine if the first 'leaked' image of the original Raimi film had been the scene where Spidey was about to pound his uncles killer's face in) and +1 to those people who have pointed out that this is SONY not Marvel.
- 1000000 to anybody who tries to use the success (note the word success rather than quality) of Nolan's Batman movies to start a pointless Marvel vs DC debate.

DC created the super hero genre, Marvel (or more accurately Stan Lee) revolutionised it.
DC made the super hero film possible with the original Superman, Marvel (if Avengers is successful) will have revolutionised them.

OT: The costume lacks the quirkiness of the original. It has the look of something designed to be 'cool' rather than befitting the character (unless they are changing the character). It looks like a left over from some countries Winter Olympics bob-sleigh team.

Spider-man and the X-men will not be done right until Marvel Studios get the rights back.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
AmayaOnnaOtaku said:
OT: why the hell did spiderman need a reboot?
In only 3 movies, the first trilogy managed to put a lot of mold on Spidey while taking away a lot of the fun.

He's out well out of High School, on the verge of marriage to MJ, Doc Ock, Goblins and Venom are dead, and the 3rd movie left such a bad taste in everyone's mouths with leaps of logic away from common sense and morality.

That written, this better not go into detail about his origin story. We just saw that. To work, I think they'll have to pick up as if we already know him and his back story (we do) but let us know this is a new continuity (that he is in High School and meeting Gwen Stacy, which did not happen till movie 3 in the other continuity).

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
blakfayt said:
Spider-Man is one of two heroes I've always wanted to see emoed, mainly because spiderman's constant, I guess you'd call them "quips", are annoying, and I wish he'd take it more seriously when shit gets real, and since that's what this guy looks like, and along with the "modern superman" graphic novel coming, I must say that my two greatest superhero desires will soon be fulfilled.
You're right, sometimes the quips can be annoying although I find them to be humorous for the most part but his quips are more than jabs at bad humor. They are only part of his character that the writers usually use too much to overshadow the other aspects of his personality. First an emo peter parker would not be cool, they already screwed that up in the 3rd movie. However, he is a more serious character than people know or give him credit for; after all he didn't beat marvel's top bad ass, Logan, by joking with him. His 'quips' is actually a tool he uses in a fight to distract and anger his opponent so that they drop their guard or become unbalanced making it easier for him to take them out. He has defeated many an opponent with said tactics. His quips also help him keep his head on straight; the quips also serve as a coping mechanism. After all, he has been through some things that would drive most people insane. All it took for the Joker was one bad day for him to snap (yes, I am cross referencing comics, so silence thine lips) and Peter/Spiderman has had several. I think I can safely say that Spiderman is the most mentally stable character in the Marvel universe.

As for the other aspects of Mr. Parker aka Spiderman, he can be and is a serious character. He has actually grown that way over the years and I do give the writers credit for handling his growth and maturity very well because they have created a character that has experienced some grim events and the writers reflect this in his personality without making him depressed, emo, or grimly desensitized to the world. However I do fault the writers for constantly leaving the intellect out of his character. Peter Parker is literally a rocket scientist but this is rarely reflected in recent comics and movies. His intellect is another tool that he uses to take down his opponents. He has also defeated many a villain by outsmarting them. Most of Spidey's opponents are significantly more powerful than he is. He rarely goes into a fight just throwing punches. He's the Shikimaru of the Marvel universe.

Spiderman's character is more than the guy with the 'quips'. It's just that some of the writers in recent years have sort of gone backwards in his character development. Lately it's mostly been "OMG there is MJ, OMG Aunt May is in trouble, OMG the is Black Cat, OMG the Osborns are back to their shenanigans, AGAIN, OMG another life altering decision to make" for the web head. As you can tell I'm a Spiderman fan and a geek; sorry for the lengthy post.

And to post for the topic: yeah, this movie does not seem promising but I guess we'll need to wait for its release for further review.