First Professor Layton Anime Trailers Unveiled

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
First Professor Layton Anime Trailers Unveiled

The first duo of trailers for the 2010 Professor Layton animated movie have been released, featuring the intrepid professor and his sidekick Luke in all their puzzle-solving glory.

Look, it's no secret that I Professor Layton and the Curious Village [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/favorites2008/5573-The-Escapist-Staffs-Five-Faves-of-2008-John], and I'm not alone in that here at The Escapist. The game was challenging - curse you, sliding block puzzles! - with an interesting mystery-focused story, but above all else it just had this sense of charm. You couldn't help but love the top-hatted Professor and his young sidekick as they unraveled the enigma of St. Mystere.

There are more games in the series than just Curious Village, but they're all across the Pacific in Japan - and it isn't just games, either. Professor Layton and the Immortal Songstress (also known as Professor Layton: The First Movie), a full-length feature film, is slated to be released in Japan next January. pair [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLClB4fReSA] of recently-released trailers shows the puzzle-solving pair doing, well, what they do best. (Psst, the answer to both puzzles is eiga - Japanese for "movie")

Professor Layton and the Immortal Songstress is a completely original story penned by Akihiro Hino, the series creator - encouraging news, for sure. If anyone can get the feel of the series right, it should be the man who created it in the first place, no? I'm also pleased to see that the movie keeps the series' aesthetic - Layton and Luke look exactly like Layton and Luke down to the dot-eyes and the tiny little noses.

It might not have the touch-screen interactivity or all the puzzles to solve like the games do, but here's hoping that Immortal Songstress will do the series justice. It'd be nice to see it come out here in the West (particularly since the voice work was actually fairly well done), but let's not hold our breath for that, shall we?

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5166466/first-professor-layton-anime-trailers])

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I want more Layton stuff in the UK. Though given how monstrously overpriced Curious Village got (I saw it selling on Amazon for £65 at one point!!!!) Id prob have to wait till next christmas to hope to get them. Still have like 5-10puzzles left to find/complete I think

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
It'd be nice to see it come out here in the West (particularly since the voice work was actually fairly well done), but let's not hold our breath for that, shall we?
Is it the same voice work that was released in the British version of the game? 'Cos those accents were terrible. I'd atually say that if it had better voice work, then it would be nigh-on perfect.

May 7, 2008
Lukeje said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
It'd be nice to see it come out here in the West (particularly since the voice work was actually fairly well done), but let's not hold our breath for that, shall we?
Is it the same voice work that was released in the British version of the game? 'Cos those accents were terrible. I'd actually say that if it had better voice work, then it would be nigh-on perfect.

who didn't see this coming lol

and it most likely will have the same horrible voice actors in the anime

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I had it for Christmas and literally spent so much time with it, I'd completed all 135 puzzles by New Year and I think I may have been accidentally ignorant towards my cousin and aunt (who I don't see much of anyway) at Christmas. My mom stole my DS while I'm at uni until Easter just for that and Big Brain Academy, so I owe her for that...