First "Real" Trailer for Walking Dead: Survival Instinct Appears

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
First "Real" Trailer for Walking Dead: Survival Instinct Appears

Retailer-exclusive bonuses are also in the works.

When the fan-made trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121295-Terminal-Reality-Reveals-Walking-Dead-FPS-Footage] for Walking Dead: Survival Instinct appeared in early January, it made a lot of people nervous. Not because they feared the inevitable zombie apocalypse, but because the game footage - which was later revealed to be taken from a very early build of the game - looked downright bad. But now, over a month later, we finally have an actual, real, totally official Survival Instinc trailer to gawk at.

The rather brief glimpse at the game builds a bit of drama between brothers Daryl and Merle as they attempt to make sense of the now zombified world around them. A few shots of the undead are also showcased, featuring torn skin, creepy eyes, and a hunger for human flesh.

Two pre-order bonuses were also announced, with special perks offered to those who drop cash at either GameStop or Amazon. GameStop buyers will gain access to the "Herd Mode," which is a wave-based challenge mode, while Amazon customers will be equipped with three additional melee weapons in the form of the "Walker Execution Pack."

The game is currently slated for a March 22, 2013 release on Wii U, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

sushkis2

Apr 14, 2011
I sure hope this doesn't end up like the miserable Prison Break tie in video game.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
I can't see any corners on that thing. I'm not talking about its graphical accomplishments.

Sanders

Jan 15, 2013
This looks terrible, the concept of this was a great idea but it looks like they have failed hard, i wasn't hoping to see this game to come out until the new consoles.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
neato. I kind of wished they show some gameplay though but the story elements they showed did look promising. BTW was it just me or did voice and mouth movements not look very syched?

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Looks like they put as much effort into it as the Battleship game.

That sucks. I was hoping they would actually try to make a game, and not just a franchise cash-in.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
The idea sound enjoyable, but the execution is clearly not good enough. And who wants something like this when they have the stand-alone Walking Dead game already?

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
I've seen better acting from Lori in the middle of the second season of the show. Unless they can make the gameplay unique, I don't think I'll suffer through this poorly voiced game.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
There's just no pleasing gamers these days, if it all unless it's super specific down to every last detail.

I swear this is going to get compared to the Telltale game even though that game is completely different to this one.

I guess I'll give this one a go seeing as how I like the show and Daryl and Merle are my favourite characters thus far.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
There's just no pleasing gamers these days, if it all unless it's super specific down to every last detail.
Sure there is. Make games that don't look like ass, with voice acting that doesn't sound so forced, it may have been done at gunpoint.

Nokturos said:
That looks really, really awful.
Yeah...this really looks no better than the fan made one.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Sure there is. Make games that don't look like ass, with voice acting that doesn't sound so forced, it may have been done at gunpoint.

Nokturos said:
What exactly would you suggest in detail of what they could do to make it look good even though the game clearly isn't going to that certain platform?.

I mean I saw the trailer and I'm ok with it and I'm sure there are many out there like me that think it's fine.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
This looks interesting actually, however i'm a bit suspicious as to why they didn't show as much gameplay as they should have. If this is an action zombie shooter they should have a lot too show right?

Further more i still get the feeling that this game was rushed. How long ago was it when they first announced this? I can't recall it being more than a year ago. Also with Terminal Reality developing it my hopes aren't too high.

So i'm not sure what to expect, i don't play any games published by Activision either so i don't know... I'm not going to rule it out instantly though, i'll wait to see what people have to say about it and when some LP's get uploaded I'll take a look at those.

Don't be so quick to judge guys, this trailer hardly shows us anything.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:

I swear this is going to get compared to the Telltale game even though that game is completely different to this one.

I guess I'll give this one a go seeing as how I like the show and Daryl and Merle are my favourite characters thus far.
No offence but you are the exact market they are aiming for. I think there is nothing wrong with demanding some polish, at least from the trailer. And I think any game with a story can be fairly compared to Telltale's game. The only way this game could interest me is if they brought in some Stalker/Fallout survival mechanics. I have no interest in playing another shooter with slow moving zombies and a crappy melodramatic story. I want something fresh and interesting. There is a lot of potential especially with the story, shame we prob won't see it

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Ehhh, looks pretty bland, plus the voice acting seems pretty terrible. No excitement or urgency in their voices.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Lono Shrugged said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:

No offence but you are the exact market they are aiming for. I think there is nothing wrong with demanding some polish, at least from the trailer. And I think any game with a story can be fairly compared to Telltale's game. The only way this game could interest me is if they brought in some Stalker/Fallout survival mechanics. I have no interest in playing another shooter with slow moving zombies and a crappy melodramatic story. I want something fresh and interesting. There is a lot of potential especially with the story, shame we prob won't see it
No offence taken at all but so many themes/tropes have been done since gaming began along with zombies being the more used enemy makes me think what else new is there to really wow and amaze and even then what's next after that?.

It's why I love the undead in general and why I am more or less happy to see another Walking Dead game.

I just know at some stage because of the raised bar people won't end up buying it and then it tanks and there would go something good.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:

Nokturos said:
What exactly would you suggest in detail of what they could do to make it look good even though the game clearly isn't going to that certain platform?.

I mean I saw the trailer and I'm ok with it and I'm sure there are many out there like me that think it's fine.
What certain platform? The platform that the Telltale game is on.. meaning all of them except the Wii-U?

I dunno, enjoy your half-hearted, cash-in, licensed shooter. 5hrs later (if you're lucky), when the game ends, come tell us how well spent your $60 was.

In a world where big budget shooters come out every other month, you have to do better than this to get anything beyond the most die-hard fan-base to care. It's A Walking Dead game based on the show may be enough to win you over, but I would guess you're in the vast minority there.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Sylveria said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:

Nokturos said:

What certain platform? The platform that the Telltale game is on.. meaning all of them except the Wii-U?

I dunno, enjoy your half-hearted, cash-in, licensed shooter. 5hrs later (if you're lucky), when the game ends, come tell us how well spent your $60 was.

In a world where big budget shooters come out every other month, you have to do better than this to get anything beyond the most die-hard fan-base to care. It's A Walking Dead game based on the show may be enough to win you over, but I would guess you're in the vast minority there.
I dunno did you enjoy the Telltale game?.

I live in the Uk so it won't be priced at that bur probably around £30 which isn't that bad to me anyway.

I don't see it as half hearted as say War Z and other half hearted games like cash in Playsation allstar.