First Thundercats Trailer Breaks Out the Lizards and Sword Fights

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
First Thundercats Trailer Breaks Out the Lizards and Sword Fights

All your favorite characters are back in the Thundercats reboot, plus a few only a handful of people will remember.

There's a new Thundercats show in the works, and while pictures [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107282-Thundercats-Reboot-Writer-Shows-Off-First-Official-Image] of it are all well and good, Cartoon Network went one better over the weekend and aired the very first trailer. It's seemingly set mainly on the Thundercats' home planet of Thundera, and shows a young Lion-O receiving the Sword of Omens from his father.

As the eventual leader of the Thundercats, Lion-O predictably gets the most attention, but other characters, like Cheetara and Tygra, pop up as well. There are also some we haven't seen before like Wily Kit and Kat, and Lion-O's mentor, Jaga. For the eagle eyed viewer - or those who know how to work a pause button - there's also a glimpses of Mumm-Ra, both powered and unpowered. The former is as part of a wall carving, presumably warning of a terrible evil, while the latter appears as a reflection on the Sword of Omens' blade.

There's also a few minor characters that really hardcore fans will recognize, including King Claudis, Lion-O's father, and General Grune, who was banished from Thundera in the original show after a failed military coup. Interestingly, there's also a few lizardmen, who are presumably some of the Mutants - the antagonists from original show - that seem to be prisoners or slaves to the Thundercats. If it's the latter - and the show is supposed to be darker than the original - it puts rather a different spin on their fight, and could be an interesting plot point.

Thundercats debuts on Cartoon Network later this year.

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/26/first-trailer-for-the-new-thundercats/]

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
I can dig the redesign, and shockingly there seems to be more characters than the Thundercats and Mum-ra's goons that exists in this world

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Wow. This actually looks...good. I'll be looking forward to watching it. It'll never replace the original, though.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
While I do like the animation, I'm a little concerned that I won't like this. After all, I couldn't stand the original series. Seeing Snarf in the trailer didn't help.

Still, I'll give it a watch.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
Is this for furries or can normal people watch this without getting weirded out?

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
For what it's worth I'd hope the lizards are slaves. That would add a nice wrinkle of complexity to the whole affair. As for the show I'll remain open minded, meanwhile I can't decide if everyone looks more or less catlike.

ryai458 said:
Is this for furries or can normal people watch this without getting weirded out?
That Cheetara is standing on some shaky ground.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
ryai458 said:
They do look more Humen to me so im going with its just a step beyond Cartgirl/guy but not yet furry.
But hey, im watching it regardless, it looks pretty badass.

OT:Ok, now i am excite.
I like the art style and it will be interesting to see a few orgin stories though im not setting my hopes high just yet.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The animation sure look top notch but I will give a proper opinion once I had watch the first episode.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
There are also some we haven't seen before like Wily Kit and Kat, and Lion-O's mentor, Jaga.
Do you mean, we haven't seen redone yet or seen before?

Wily kat and wily Kit where in the originals and so was Jaga for the first one, I think.
Kit & Kat definitely where.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010

Going by most of the furry/not furry charts on the internet Thundercats is technically a 'furry series', however since so many people grew up watching it no one wants to treat it as a furry series. Personally I could careless about furry. I've seen and am into way more weirder things.

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
That makes me cautiously optimistic. Maybe this will turn out well after all.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Even with the Sword of Thundera I didn't see this comming.

Just going to point out that I did not see the panther guy and that makes me a little sad.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
ryai458 said:
I think normal people can watch it, just avoid going on the internet for a few months after it starts... Rule 34 is an ugly thing in many cases...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I am pretty excited about this. A nice thing to wake up to really. That series is one of my all time favorites. Though, in my head, the animation of the original was awesome. But CN aired that again when I was in 7th grade, and I remember being sufficiently freaked out by how bad it was.

I have to say, the whole furry/non-furry thing doesn't apply to this. I remember some characters looked more animalistic while others more human. This predates that no matter what.

I have one question though: Is this show gonna have Panthro? I didn't see him, and I don't know how the show would be without the resident super smart and wise black man. I mean, no Thundertank tank then either, and who wants to be without that.

Edit: Watching a Panthro tribute, I forgot, but he was a total ninja too. This show NEEDS him, haha.

TipsyPeaches

Aug 3, 2009
Where was Panthro? I am going to huff 'til he shows up. Better be in it.

and gah, Snarf, gtfo!

but yeah, actually liking the reboot. As a massive fan of the original, I was ready to be massively disappointed, but it's not as bad as I was expecting. Guess my dad and I are going to have to resume the remote fights over this.