First to play/first to buy in 2018?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
First to play: I suppose it was Gang Beasts. I bought it New Years Day at a family party so we could play something fun and silly as a group. First solo game I played was, uh....Dota 2 maybe? Can't remember. Last few days are a blur.

The last game I played of 2017 was Mario Party 3. Girlfriend absolutely loves Mario Party. She lives in another state, currently, but insists on playing Mario Party 2 whenever we get together. So, for Christmas, I got her a (surprisingly immaculate) copy of Mario Party 3 on the N64. We played for hours last week. Made a drinking game out of it when her sister joined us.

First to buy: That's a bit tricky. You could argue that the new Battletech game is going to be my first buy, since I don't 'technically' own a copy yet. But I backed its Kickstarter a few years ago, so I'm not actually going to be shelling out any cash when it releases.

First thing I'll actively be throwing money at will depend on the release schedules of several upcoming titles. 'First come, first served' sort of deal.

So it'll either be:

Still waiting to learn more about a few others, including Anthem[footnote]Whose reveal trailer had initially garnered a resounding 'meh' from me, but I've since come to be marginally intrigued.[/footnote], Artifact, and whatever the 3 VR games and 1 singleplayer game Valve have in the works.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
hanselthecaretaker said:
stroopwafel said:
Dalisclock said:
At least Kojima finally included a PAUSE button on the cutscenes. Kinda useful when it takes 30 minutes to finish one at times.
I was thinking, MGS4 is already 10 years old this year. OMG..time goes by..SO FAST!
I still remember how floored I was the first time playing it. The wtf eye candy intro-mercials, the music, the real time zoomable cutscenes, the exceptionally deep moveset, the pcm audio, the adaptable sneaking suit...it was the first game of the generation that went beyond a mere visual upgrade and stated ?This is what you bought a PS3 for?.
For reals. I remember the nostalgia of revisiting Shadow Moses in MGS4 and now a similar time has elapsed as between MGS1 and MGS4. The nostalgia has become the nostalgia. :p Like sand through the hourglass so are the days of our lives.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
First played: AC unity. Not sure why, but I've the intense desire to hang about in France, solving crimes and thwopping naughty criminals around the head with the stock of a richly decorated hunting rifle. It's cheaper and less illegal than a murder-holiday. No less frustrating however.

First bought/buy: Hopefully none if i can help it. Maybe Redhead Redemption 2 or [small]Trump's America[/small] Far Cry: Trump's America, depending on how many time-currencies and currency-funds are left to dissolve the last remaining fragment of willpower clinging on for dear life in the vain hope of justifying itself to itself.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
First played: Pokemon Ultra Moon.

First to buy: Most likely Wolfenstein The New Colossus, unless I'm going to save for a Switch already which would mean Splatoon 2 or something.

retsupurae yahtsee

May 14, 2012
I have been playing Metal Saga, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Silhouette Mirage. Metal Saga is like the only translated predecessor, Metal Max Returns by which I mean fucking awesome. Puyo Puyo Tetris is a fun combination of classic games, but pretty easy so far--though I am still at the beginning and I hear it gets a lot harder. Silhouette Mirage has the surreal style and fun of a Treasure game, but has so far been very easy, even easier than Alien Soldier. I got to stage 4 in a few hours with seven remaining continues and only once upgraded a weapon. I prefer the high difficulty of games like Gunstar Heroes and Dynamite Headdy.Working Designs's translation is also unusually poor: It usually provides a good, quirky translation but in this game the plot makes no sense.

Dec 10, 2012
My wife bought me Bloodborne for Xmas, so I've been playing that. I really like it, but it's slow going. So far I've exhausted almost all the avenues I have and am stuck on two different bosses that I can't beat. It's frustrating that most bosses seem to be the same fight. Only Father Gascoigne was not just a really big strong version of the beasts. And he was fuckin' hard too.

I think my only gripe is that the firearms weren't what I was expecting. I wanted to take on eldritch horrors with my sword and my Victorian guns, but the guns are clearly a replacement for the parry mechanic in Dark Souls, which I never got very good at, so I don't use Bloodborne's firearms very often. It's a bit disappointing that my boomstick doesn't really boom.

As for the first buy, I think once the semester is over I'm going to buy myself Dragon Age: Inquisition. I need the free time during the summer to play it properly.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
TheVampwizimp said:
My wife bought me Bloodborne for Xmas, so I've been playing that. I really like it, but it's slow going. So far I've exhausted almost all the avenues I have and am stuck on two different bosses that I can't beat. It's frustrating that most bosses seem to be the same fight. Only Father Gascoigne was not just a really big strong version of the beasts. And he was fuckin' hard too.

I think my only gripe is that the firearms weren't what I was expecting. I wanted to take on eldritch horrors with my sword and my Victorian guns, but the guns are clearly a replacement for the parry mechanic in Dark Souls, which I never got very good at, so I don't use Bloodborne's firearms very often. It's a bit disappointing that my boomstick doesn't really boom.

As for the first buy, I think once the semester is over I'm going to buy myself Dragon Age: Inquisition. I need the free time during the summer to play it properly.
You have an awesome wife.

On topic, I'm most likely going to buy Dragonball Fighter Z, I might preorder it in order to play Android 21 early.

Dec 10, 2012
PapaGreg096 said:
TheVampwizimp said:

You have an awesome wife.

On topic, I'm most likely going to buy Dragonball Fighter Z, I might preorder it in order to play Android 21 early.
Don't I know it!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
TheVampwizimp said:

The nice thing about Bloodborne?s parrying is that you don?t really need to be in the enemies? melee range for it to work. With a bit of practice in learning their timing it?ll make more sense and become second nature.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:
TheVampwizimp said:

The nice thing about Bloodborne?s parrying is that you don?t really need to be in the enemies? melee range for it to work. With a bit of practice in learning their timing it?ll make more sense and become second nature.
You can finish Bloodborne without parrying at all. It's harder in some respects but doable.

First to play: I spent like a week in thd lead up to Christmas re-modding the shit out if Skyrim as I upgraded my GPU and can run decent ENB and texture mods at a decent framerate now.

First to buy: I don't think anything I want even has a release date yet. Yakuza 6 is out at the end of March so that I suppose.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Well it was The Witcher 3 Complete Edition off Steam for me, and so far it?s been slightly better than expected. I?m most impressed with the movement mechanics. Everything has been very fluid-like, and being able to swim is a breath of fresh air. The menu system is insane though. Practically everything has a tutorial but I think it?s a bit counterproductive on occasion.