First Trailer for New Muppets Movie Poses as Generic RomCom

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010

This trailer starts as a crummy-looking romantic comedy, cheesy narration and all. It becomes much, much more.

When audiences sat down to watch Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, they were greeted by the trailer for a laughably boring romantic comedy. Jason Segel and Amy Adams meet, fall in love, have some sort of fight, and hilarity (or what passes for hilarity in those types of movies) ensues.

But before the trailer could give away the tearful making-up at the end, something very strange happened. The narrator begins listing cast members, and starts stumbling when Kermit and Piggy show up. And Gonzo. And Animal. And Rolf and Beaker and the Swedish Chef. I'll leave it to Jason Segel's character to sum up America's collective reaction when he interjects, "Woah woah woah, wait wait wait, stop. Are there Muppets in this movie?"

Yes Jason, there are. After over a decade of web shorts and less-than-great TV movies, the Muppets are returning to the silver screen in their upcoming movie titled ... well, The Muppets. Based on the trailer, which quickly becomes rather muppety, the movie has everything that made the Muppets great; over-the-top dance numbers, ludicrous characters, and at least one fourth-wall-defying moment.

First announced back in 2008, the movie has gathered an impressive cast list [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1204342/], following in the grand tradition of The Muppet Movie by giving big stars and famous comedians bit parts and cameos throughout the film, including appearances by Jack Black, Neil Patrick Harris, Danny Trejo, Katy Perry, Ricky Gervais, and Zach Galifianakis.

The film is supposed to be released this Thanksgiving, and if it doesn't include the balcony-dwelling hecklers Statler and Waldorf, I will hunt you down and teach you the meaning of pain, Segel. Just you watch.

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/hi8wl/trailer_for_green_with_envy_starring_jason_segel/]

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
"I'm glad to see this, because for the past few decades The Muppets have been very medium."

"Medium?"

"Yes. Not rare, and certainly not well done!"

"DO-HO-HO-HO-HO-HO!"

RADlTZ

Nov 19, 2009
Mantonio said:
"I'm glad to see this, because for the past few decades The Muppets have been very medium."

"Medium?"

"DO-HO-HO-HO-HO-HO!"
This made me laugh so hard, did you come up with it or was it a quote?

FireCoroner

Jun 28, 2010
Mantonio said:

"Medium?"

"DO-HO-HO-HO-HO-HO!"
Give this man a biscuit!

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
There's something about watching Jason Segel at 1:08 that makes me lol. Hard.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
RADlTZ said:
Mantonio said:

"Medium?"

"DO-HO-HO-HO-HO-HO!"
This made me laugh so hard, did you come up with it or was it a quote?
It's from The Muppet Show, although they were criticising a sketch. It's the first in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14njUwJUg1I

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
I'm not sure about the romcom premise, but I'm so happy there's going to be a new muppets movie. I hope the humans don't detract from muppety goodness. They're usually the downside to those movies, imo.

Oh, and there better be some mention of shrimps prawns.

Chaos-Spider

Dec 18, 2009
This looks like a romantic comedy that I would actually like to wacth, Let's hope the ROM Com doesn't take up too much of the movie. it was boring.

ThatNickGuy

Apr 8, 2011
Way to ruin the whole idea behind the fake trailer. At least Bleeding Cool kept the surprise for people until they actually watched it.

Bob the frantic

Sep 5, 2009
Scott Bullock said:

The film is supposed to be released this Thanksgiving, and if it doesn't include the balcony-dwelling hecklers Statler and Waldorf, I will hunt you down and teach you the meaning of pain, Segel. Just you watch.
Just make sure to leave some for me... I'm a good teacher.

I seriously can't wait for this movie to come out, although I am hoping the rom-com part is just for the trailer... It would leave less screen time for the Muppets.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That was pretty funny.

Fozzie sound very off though... Oh Jim, why'd you have to die?

Feb 13, 2008
Mantonio said:

"Medium?"

"DO-HO-HO-HO-HO-HO!"
+1 Internet for you sir. If Waldorf and Statler aren't in there, we shall be most disappoint.

Edit: I'm frankly amazed they managed to keep the Mad Bomber in there though...given...certain circumstances.

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
Not to trying to come off as a dick, but this isn't really news (The trailer to a film came out?) and you utterly ruined the point of the trailer in the title. You guys are kind of slowly doing that with Mass Effect 3 as well.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Live4Lotus said:
I was never a big muppets fan, but I don't recall a terrorist muppet...when did they add him?
That would be Crazy Harry [http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Crazy_Harry]

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Ugh. Muppets are so....so....STUPID.

Come on people! Grow up a little. Muppets are for CHILDREN.