First Trailer For Playstation Network's Superhero Cop-Drama Powers

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
First Trailer For Playstation Network's Superhero Cop-Drama Powers

First Playstation Network Exclusive series features regular cops in a world of superheroes

Attendees at this year's New York Comic-Con were treated to the debut of the first trailer for Powers, an adaptation of the Playstation Network Exclusive series. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast-comics-and-cosplay/9449-006-In-Which-We-Severely-Nerd-Out-Over-Powers]

The trailer offers fans their first look at the live-action incarnations of Deena Pilgrim (Susan Heyward) and Christian Walker (Sharlto Copley), police detectives in a world where superheroes and supervillains are real who are assigned to a special division dedicated to crimes involving superpowered individuals. Like in the comics, Walker is a former superhero himself who joined the Powers division after losing his abilities under mysterious circumstances.

Powers is set to debut on PSN in December. In addition to Heyward and Copley, the cast includes Michelle Forbes as Retro Girl, Max Fowler as Krispin Stockley, Adam Godley as Captain Cross, Noah Taylor as Johnny Royalle, Olesya Rulin as Calista, Logan Browning as Zora and Eddie Izzard as Wolfe.

Source: Playstation [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P02QmncDOzM]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Holy FUCK! THey made a TV series out of this? Holy FUCK! I heard about it, but I had forgotten about it since there weren't any recent news about it!

I'm Scandinavia's biggest fan of Powers -- possibly Europe's -- and I'm super-psyched to see how this will turn out.

Okay, now let's take a look at the trailer...

I get that they couldn't get somebody with the burly build of comics-Walker, but why give him a beard?

They changed Pilgrim's race and hairstyle, and I still could tell it was her in less than two seconds. That's good casting. I wish she'd looked a bit more sour, but maybe it's different when you see her in action.

Johnny Royalle's looking good. His teleporting's un-flashy, just like it's supposed to be.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Shit if only it wasn't PSN exclusive, because I'm not getting a PS4 just for that, it looks really good though makes me want a PS4 but like I said that's unreasonable since it's too expensive and I can't think of any games on PS4 that I want that aren't also on PC, maybe the new FROM Software game? But I can't even remember what the name of that is, I guess maybe The Last of Us HD but it's still not enough considering how expensive PS4s are and how broke I am.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Pilgrim looks like a kid...

Show looks like it could be good. Looks very different from the comic, but it could be solid nonetheless.

In the comics Walker barely seems to mention his powers, but here it's all he's talking about...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is gonna be awesome. Unfortunately, I doubt it will last no matter how good it is. I just can't imagine they are going to be able to justify the expense of a show that clearly has a pretty decent budget and a rather big name main character.

softclocks said:
Pilgrim looks like a kid...

Show looks like it could be good. Looks very different from the comic, but it could be solid nonetheless.

In the comics Walker barely seems to mention his powers, but here it's all he's talking about...
We probably only saw a shot of the first episode. Like the Flash preview where they basically showed clips from only the first episode.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Baresark said:
This is gonna be awesome. Unfortunately, I doubt it will last no matter how good it is. I just can't imagine they are going to be able to justify the expense of a show that clearly has a pretty decent budget and a rather big name main character.
Maybe each episode will get an early release on psn before anyone else. Otherwise no, I don't see this being too lucrative either.

Looks pretty cool though. Noah Taylor is always a treat.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Baresark said:
Maybe each episode will get an early release on psn before anyone else. Otherwise no, I don't see this being too lucrative either.

Looks pretty cool though. Noah Taylor is always a treat.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Like, if it's JUST FOR the PSN forever, it's not gonna last. But if you are gonna put later on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon instant video, then yeah, it could be around for a while.

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
Huh, guess I got the wrong impression from what they showed before, I thought it was going to be some kind of animated series. Oh well, I'll still give this a chance, looks okay.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I thought this [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06uupiOjEio] was the trailer...

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
ElMinotoro said:
I was excited about this right up until I saw that trailer. Now I'm not.
Yeah...same here.

Finding out Christan Walker use to have powers is like the hook at the end of the first mini-story. The point where you go, "Oh shit, things just got complicated." To jism that out in the trailer seems like they aren't going for any subtext at all.

As for the casting, that guy isn't nearly big enough to be Walker. You need a big beefy dude for Walker. That guy is far to scrawny.

Also I noticed they race swapped a lot of the characters. I don't care what color Deena Pilgrim is as long as she yells about ovaries. But it seems like they are only switch white to black. Sort of wish they would sometimes switch out to Asian or Latino or something. But then again Pilgrim isn't a Hispanic last name.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
bdcjacko said:
ElMinotoro said:
I was excited about this right up until I saw that trailer. Now I'm not.
Yeah...same here.

Finding out Christan Walker use to have powers is like the hook at the end of the first mini-story. The point where you go, "Oh shit, things just got complicated." To jism that out in the trailer seems like they aren't going for any subtext at all.

As for the casting, that guy isn't nearly big enough to be Walker. You need a big beefy dude for Walker. That guy is far to scrawny.
You know, I glanced down the comments before watching the trailer and thought you might be overreacting here... but no, this looks like a major (and pretty horrible-looking) divergence from the original.