First Trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Revealed

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, that looked terrible.

In all honesty, if I had seen the trailer outside any kind of context, I'd have probably assumed it was a fan work. Not only are we waist-high deep in cliche (gee, girl with attitude will learn to be a team player blah blah blah), not only is LucasFilm intent on portraying the Rebel Alliance as the "humans only club" (yes, the OT had this problem as well, but at least that had the excuse of budget and whatnot), not only does the aesthetic feel off (going for the 'dark and gritty vibe', whereas in A New Hope, the Rebel Alliance had a far more 'classical' look to it), but I'm left to ask, "why does this exist?" Granted, I asked the same question for TFA, but this? We know how the story ends, the story of the Death Star theft was told once before in the EU, it's not delving into some previously unseen lore, it's simply there to bring in the big bucks and ensure that there's one Star Wars film per year.

Yes, I'm bitter, and no, I don't think the film will be bad (heck, TFA wasn't bad either - I still put it above TPM and AotC), but honestly, I just can't get enthused for it.

Alex V.Sharp

Jan 20, 2011
Every film just feels so dark these days... oh where have the illumination artists gone to?

Okay, so the trailer suggests the film *could* be interesting and well directed, however I simply cannot go over the fact that they are giving Kyle's role (and his whole origin story) to some new, completely unknown and somewhat bland protagonist. If I said it once, I said it a thousand times: Don't care what Disney dictates, Kyle Katarn happened. And the more they force this idea of their "reinventing" of the extended storyline, the more I feel like pushing back against it, which does not bode well for the upcoming milking of the franchise.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Something Amyss said:
-Poe piloted a ship he'd never flown before sufficiently to escape the First Order. This actually doesn't seem to be that big a thing in Star Wars. Strangely, it's not a problem when a man can pilot a ship.
Poe was also mentioned as being one of The Resistance's best pilots, while the only thing Rey ever drove was a speeder. Bit of a gap in displayed skills there.

Though it WAS mentioned that Rey spent a lot of time in a flight sim she salvaged. In the novelization. Goddamnit Abrams you freaking hack.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Metalix Knightmare said:
Poe was also mentioned as being one of The Resistance's best pilots, while the only thing Rey ever drove was a speeder. Bit of a gap in displayed skills there.
Not so much, since we know she has flown before, just not what. Disregarding that does make it seem like a huge disparity, but it's also not true.

It aqlso ignores the larger context of the conversation going on, since it doesn't explain almost every other pilot in Star Wars.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
Something Amyss said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Not so much, since we know she has flown before, just not what. Disregarding that does make it seem like a huge disparity, but it's also not true.
We do know she has never flown the falcon itself before the dogfight with the two ties, but having re watched the movie she is also shown to be intimately familiar with the ship. She knows everything about it mechanically and about it's operation, down to understanding the nuances of the modifications done to the ship. In fact, from what we see in the movie alone we can infer that she likely assisted in the modifications.

And while there is a massive stated difference in skill between Poe and Rey, that skill gap is also shown. She can barely deal with two ties. He knocks out two ties in seconds.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ThatOtherGirl said:
We do know she has never flown the falcon itself before the dogfight with the two ties, but having re watched the movie she is also shown to be intimately familiar with the ship.
Well yeah, butMetallix claimed that she's never flown anything other than a speeder. Rey herself states she's flown "some ships" before, but never left the planet. We don't know how many or how well, but this is clearly not "I've only ever flown speeders before!"

And while there is a massive stated difference in skill between Poe and Rey, that skill gap is also shown. She can barely deal with two ties. He knocks out two ties in seconds.
Not only that, but here's her takeoff:

Poe was held back by a tether. This is Rey flying a new ship.

In any event, it seems like the most common ability of Force Sensitives is piloting ability. At least, in the main movies. In fact--and I apologise to whichever Escapist it was I stole this from, but I agree--I wouldn't be surprised if Poe turned out to be strong in The Force, too.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
So it's Dark Forces...but with a rule 63 Kyle Katarn who is a white hat criminal instead of a mercenary.

A part of me says I shouldn't get excited...but, well, I am.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
ffronw said:
If you're a fan of the classic Star Wars games, you'll understand why I really want Diego Luna's character to be Kyle Katarn.
When I first heard about this project, I did have a vain hope that they would bring Kyle Katarn out of non-canon "Legends" status for this one. I knew that it was near impossible, but I did hope. Now? Well, I guess a rule 63 Kyle Katarn who is a white hat criminal instead of a merc could work, as long as the writing and action are solid.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I'm just not interested... is that bad? Like I hope its good, but I'm just not at all excited. I've got no hype for this. Maybe it's not made for me? I don't mind Star Wars as an action genre for sure, but I don't need a new one every year. It's gonna ruin the specialness of it all.