First Trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Revealed

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
First Trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Revealed

Check out the first teaser trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story right here!

The next film in the Star Wars series is Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and this morning, the first teaser trailer was shown off on Good Morning America. If you aren't the sort to wake up early and turn on the news, don't worry. We've got you covered.

The trailer features Felicity Jones as Jyn Erso, who is apparently sent on a mission with Diego Luna's character (whose name isn't revealed in this trailer) to retrieve the plans to a major weapon system. Yeah, it's the Death Star.

If you're a fan of the classic Star Wars games, you'll understand why I really want Diego Luna's character to be Kyle Katarn. While there are no mentions of most character names, there are plenty of big name actors in the trailer, including Forest Whitaker, Donnie Yen and Ben Mendelsohn.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is scheduled to hit theaters on Dec. 16 2016, followed by Star Wars: Episode VIII in 2017.

[gallery=6130]

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Other than my finding Forest Whitaker to be generally horrible, this is looking pretty great.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I wonder if those bigot will complain once again for them to have a strong female lead in the movie?

OT- I admit, I am kinda hyped for it eventhought I would prefer a sequel to The Force Awaken.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
It looks like a pretty generic action movie with a Star Wars skin. Fairly inevitable, under Disney. Still, if at least the action is well done it oughtta at least be fun.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Cool.

I'm kinda confused though. This is a movie, but it's not The Next Star Wars Movie, right? As in, it isn't Episode 8?

I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise that they'd start doing spin-offs and such. Still, seems a bit odd that they're setting it during the original series.

Ah well, like I said, it looks neat.

PS. That siren noise made me think of the striders from Half Life 2/

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Scarim Coral said:
I wonder if those bigot will complain once again for them to have a strong female lead in the movie?

OT- I admit, I am kinda hyped for it eventhought I would prefer a sequel to The Force Awaken.
Because so far she is not as badass as Samus Aran and Classic Lara Croft in my eyes. And what made them special is that they did not FOCUS on the fact that they are Women.

Same with Blizzard's Female Characters like Kerrigan in Starcraft 1 (Until they turned her into a Mary Sue in the ending of the 2nd game) Jaina Proudmoore, Sylvanas Windrunner, and Tyrande Whisperwind from Warcraft 3.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
Zhukov said:
Cool.

I'm kinda confused though. This is a movie, but it's not The Next Star Wars Movie, right? As in, it isn't Episode 8?

I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise that they'd start doing spin-offs and such. Still, seems a bit odd that they're setting it during the original series.

Ah well, like I said, it looks neat.
Disney is now going to be putting out a Star Wars movie every year, with the new trilogy installments coming out in 2015, 2017, and 2019, with spin-off movies filling in the gaps in between. The spin-offs all seem to be taking place around the Original Trilogy era, with this movie, and a planned Han Solo, and Boba Fett related spin offs that likely will also tell a story taking place sometime before A New Hope.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
This looks absolutely excellent, glad they're doing this. The Star Wars universe has tons of storytelling potential, especially when there isn't an expectation of jedi training sequences and lightsaber battles in each film.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Supernova1138 said:
Disney is now going to be putting out a Star Wars movie every year, with the new trilogy installments coming out in 2015, 2017, and 2019, with spin-off movies filling in the gaps in between. The spin-offs all seem to be taking place around the Original Trilogy era, with this movie, and a planned Han Solo, and Boba Fett related spin offs that likely will also tell a story taking place sometime before A New Hope.
Ah, okay, thank you for clarifying.

(Han Solo and Boba Fett spin offs? Really? Ew. Not that one should expect anything more imaginative from the company that just got done essentially remaking the first film.)

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I would say there's a concern over whether the Star Wars film universe deserves to be diluted and 'explored' beyond the mainline saga, and whether the quality control will therefore go down... but it would be a monumental effort - worthy of praise - if any of the new 'Star Wars Story' type films end up being as risible as the Prequels... So have at it, Disney - you can't fuck Star Wars up/over any more than Lucas did over three whole films.

Still not exactly wowed by the look of the ensemble - it'd be nice to have had vague character bios released when they showed the first rather bland photo a few months back, as they still just sort of blur into one darkish brownish mishmash. And Felicity Jones doesn't really sell badass in that trailer, at least not yet.

Awesome use of music, though, and otherwise it's a damn fine teaser.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Oh yes.

This pleases me greatly.

I really hope that this is enough of a success to warrant other stories set in the time of rebellion.
There's so much scope and scale available for them to fill in the background events of those times.

exarkunsith

Jan 12, 2010
Does anyone get a Grand Admiral vibe from the uniform of the man at approx 1:02?

It would be nice to have a villain who isn't eating children just because, form of evil. Someone, whom if the story where focusing on him could be considered the hero.

Less "I'm going to kill you because i want tot see your children suffer before i kill them."

and more "I'm going to kill you to protect my people and those i care about. i wont hurt your children, I'm a soldier not a monster."

Yet i feel that a complex and gray villain would be to much for a kid friendly star wars.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i was actually positively amazed by it. hearing about different characters is a good thing. the action looks good and seems to have a solid story too. i wonder more how many of the main characters will be seen in there. but i guess they will be mentioned.
so yes, call me interested.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
Scarim Coral said:

Because so far she is not as badass as Samus Aran and Classic Lara Croft in my eyes. And what made them special is that they did not FOCUS on the fact that they are Women.

Same with Blizzard's Female Characters like Kerrigan in Starcraft 1 (Until they turned her into a Mary Sue in the ending of the 2nd game) Jaina Proudmoore, Sylvanas Windrunner, and Tyrande Whisperwind from Warcraft 3.
So far all we have to go off of is a two minute trailer. Kind of impossible to draw any kind of conclusions from that. Additionally, the trailer isn't focusing on her being a woman either. As far as I can tell the theme of the trailer is that she's a "bad apple" anti-hero of some kind.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Well, color me impressed this looks like it could be a pretty good action movie. Definitely, has a different feel than the usual Star Wars movie. The idea of a new Star Wars movie every year still concerns me a bit, but if they focus on different characters, times, and locations with each one then it might turn out alright.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I already posted on the other thread, but I love this. Not nearly as hyped for this as I was for Force Awakens, but the universe building and general cool Star Wars action is hard not to get excited for.

One thing though, that title is horrendous. Why not leave it as Rogue One? Sure some people might be confused that its Episode 8, but won't that just bring more people to the theaters?

Trooper924

Oct 20, 2011
Looks like we're getting a new "How the Rebels got the Death Star Plans" story. Lord knows that the old expanded universe couldn't resist telling that story over and over again. Well, at least we probably won't see anymore now that we have this official canon movie coming up. There's that.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
Zhukov said:
Supernova1138 said:
Ah, okay, thank you few clarifying.

(Han Solo and Boba Fett spin offs? Really? Ew. Not that one should expect anything more imaginative from the company that just got done essentially remaking the first film.)
Yeah... Rogue One seems like a great spot to tell a new story, but I'm significantly less interested in origin-stories of old characters. Especially Fett, since his entire personality and mystique is due to the Extended Universe and he barely does anything at all in the actual films.

I'd have preferred a look at the distant past of the world. Old Republic stuff, etc.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Fappy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Scarim Coral said:

So far all we have to go off of is a two minute trailer. Kind of impossible to draw any kind of conclusions from that. Additionally, the trailer isn't focusing on her being a woman either. As far as I can tell the theme of the trailer is that she's a "bad apple" anti-hero of some kind.
1. That was more of a general statement because when people keeps asking for Strong Female characters that have to remember that its not their gender that makes them compelling characters. Which is why I feel that people who only want women characters because they are women is just wrong.

2. And why I said she is not badass as others because all this trailer showed is just her standing around doing nothing. Not really the action taking strong female lead that I am expecting. They could have showed her at least piloting an X-Wing.