First Trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Revealed

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Yeah, no way in hell I'm not going to see that.
ffronw said:
If you're a fan of the classic Star Wars games, you'll understand why I really want Diego Luna's character to be Kyle Katarn.
My man.
Scarim Coral said:
I wonder if those bigot will complain once again for them to have a strong female lead in the movie?
If they're complaining that the lead is female, they're stupid yes. If it's because the character has none other than having a vagina, then the complaints are pretty valid.

This, looks like it has potential.
exarkunsith said:
Does anyone get a Grand Admiral vibe from the uniform of the man at approx 1:02?

It would be nice to have a villain who isn't eating children just because, form of evil. Someone, whom if the story where focusing on him could be considered the hero.

Less "I'm going to kill you because i want tot see your children suffer before i kill them."

and more "I'm going to kill you to protect my people and those i care about. i wont hurt your children, I'm a soldier not a monster."

Yet i feel that a complex and gray villain would be to much for a kid friendly star wars.
It is at this point you realize that we're never getting Thrawn in the new trilogy or side movies, and that he's forever struck from the canon.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Fappy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Scarim Coral said:
I wonder if those bigot will complain once again for them to have a strong female lead in the movie?

OT- I admit, I am kinda hyped for it eventhought I would prefer a sequel to The Force Awaken.
Because so far she is not as badass as Samus Aran and Classic Lara Croft in my eyes. And what made them special is that they did not FOCUS on the fact that they are Women.

Same with Blizzard's Female Characters like Kerrigan in Starcraft 1 (Until they turned her into a Mary Sue in the ending of the 2nd game) Jaina Proudmoore, Sylvanas Windrunner, and Tyrande Whisperwind from Warcraft 3.
So far all we have to go off of is a two minute trailer. Kind of impossible to draw any kind of conclusions from that. Additionally, the trailer isn't focusing on her being a woman either. As far as I can tell the theme of the trailer is that she's a "bad apple" anti-hero of some kind.
1. That was more of a general statement because when people keeps asking for Strong Female characters that have to remember that its not their gender that makes them compelling characters. Which is why I feel that people who only want women characters because they are women is just wrong.

2. And why I said she is not badass as others because all this trailer showed is just her standing around doing nothing. Not really the action taking strong female lead that I am expecting. They could have showed her at least piloting an X-Wing.
What the hell are you even talking about? You've seen about forty seconds of a lesser-known actress playing a new character in an existing franchise. She doesn't just "stand around"; she fights a group of stormtroopers, infiltrates an imperial ship, and delivers a very quotable line about rebellion (and may have been one of the soldiers bum-rushing an AT-AT on foot, which is absolute nuts). There's no focus whatsoever on her gender identity or sexuality. Are you seriously critical of the fact that she isn't already one of the all-time defining female characters in nerd culture?

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
LegendaryGamer0 said:
It is at this point you realize that we're never getting Thrawn in the new trilogy or side movies, and that he's forever struck from the canon.
We may not literally get Thrawn, but I did get a Grand Admiral vibe here, and Disney is certainly capable of "borrowing" from the best of the EU even as they strike it from canon. It would make some sense to introduce a Thrawn-clone for Rogue One.

On that note: who is the actor in the white uniform? I don't recognize him. I also didn't get a glimpse of Mads Mikkelson in the trailer, so I'm eager to see what kind of character he portrays.

Edit: Since we're talking Star Wars, I should clarify that by "Thrawn-clone" I mean a character reminiscent of Thrawn. Not literally a clone of the character from the books.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Yojoo said:
We may not literally get Thrawn, but I did get a Grand Admiral vibe here,
Oh the vibe is definitely there. I just hope they do something with it.
and Disney is certainly capable of "borrowing" from the best of the EU even as they strike it from canon. It would make some sense to introduce a Thrawn-clone for Rogue One.
This is actually what gives me a bit of a headache. They strike everything from canon only to possibly include what they want or expies. Why expies and not adapt the EU?
On that note: who is the actor in the white uniform? I don't recognize him.
Absolutely no idea. I suck at identifying actors.
Edit: Since we're talking Star Wars, I should clarify that by "Thrawn-clone" I mean a character reminiscent of Thrawn. Not literally a clone of the character from the books.
I wouldn't count the possibility out if someone gets drunk and decides to do something that insane. Bonus points if they did it and made it work.
EDIT: Actually forgot to put this in my first post. Does anyone else think Mark looks like he wants to hang himself/has lost control of his life?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
I honestly don't get why you are getting ready for fight, who gives a shit. Unless you are trying to start a fight. It just strikes me as odd that you would open with a comment for the few people who are going to complain about that.

OT: I have to say, this looks pretty awesome. I'm glad they are going back to a time of rebellion. This era is... well it's just better I think (after watching Force Awakens). Lots and lots of now unexplored territory in between all films of the original trilogy.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
LegendaryGamer0 said:
This is actually what gives me a bit of a headache. They strike everything from canon only to possibly include what they want or expies. Why expies and not adapt the EU?
They're probably taking some cues from the MCU films. Marvel is borrowing from their massive background of comic stories for the films, but they understand that to try to adapt all of it is utterly ridiculous. Civil War, for example, is inevitably going to be of infinitely smaller scale than the massive event it was in the comics. And lots of the comics are simply bad.

The Extended Universe has notorious stinkers in it, and trying to adhere to its canon would be ruinous for effective film-making for a variety of reasons. But Thrawn was a great concept for a character, so "saving" him in some form seems like a totally justifiable move. Let 98% of the EU burn, in my opinion.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Yojoo said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Fappy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Scarim Coral said:

OT- I admit, I am kinda hyped for it eventhought I would prefer a sequel to The Force Awaken.
Because so far she is not as badass as Samus Aran and Classic Lara Croft in my eyes. And what made them special is that they did not FOCUS on the fact that they are Women.

Same with Blizzard's Female Characters like Kerrigan in Starcraft 1 (Until they turned her into a Mary Sue in the ending of the 2nd game) Jaina Proudmoore, Sylvanas Windrunner, and Tyrande Whisperwind from Warcraft 3.
So far all we have to go off of is a two minute trailer. Kind of impossible to draw any kind of conclusions from that. Additionally, the trailer isn't focusing on her being a woman either. As far as I can tell the theme of the trailer is that she's a "bad apple" anti-hero of some kind.
1. That was more of a general statement because when people keeps asking for Strong Female characters that have to remember that its not their gender that makes them compelling characters. Which is why I feel that people who only want women characters because they are women is just wrong.

2. And why I said she is not badass as others because all this trailer showed is just her standing around doing nothing. Not really the action taking strong female lead that I am expecting. They could have showed her at least piloting an X-Wing.
What the hell are you even talking about? You've seen about forty seconds of a lesser-known actress playing a new character in an existing franchise. She doesn't just "stand around"; she fights a group of stormtroopers, infiltrates an imperial ship, and delivers a very quotable line about rebellion (and may have been one of the soldiers bum-rushing an AT-AT on foot, which is absolute nuts). There's no focus whatsoever on her gender identity or sexuality. Are you seriously critical of the fact that she isn't already one of the all-time defining female characters in nerd culture?
Well the reason I feel like this because I was extremely dissipointed in Star Wars The Force Awakens and I found the character Rey really badly written.

I truly think she's a Mary Sue in the sense that she is too perfect (not the Mary Sue definition of a author self insert character)

She immidietly knows how to pilot a Space Ship that she never piloted before, she somehow mastered certain aspects of the Force like Jedi Mind Tricks, and she fended off the main bad guy Kylo Ren with ease in a lightsabre fight.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Baresark said:
Scarim Coral said:
I honestly don't get why you are getting ready for fight, who gives a shit. Unless you are trying to start a fight. It just strikes me as odd that you would open with a comment for the few people who are going to complain about that.

OT: I have to say, this looks pretty awesome. I'm glad they are going back to a time of rebellion. This era is... well it's just better I think (after watching Force Awakens). Lots and lots of now unexplored territory in between all films of the original trilogy.
Who said anything about picking a fight? As I merely typed, "I wonder if those bigot will complain once again for them to have a strong female lead in the movie?" as in I thinking about it. Obviously I know no one on here will make such a complain but still, I was just thinking out loud per say.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
But where, pray tell, are the many Bothans who died to bring them that information?

I'm okay with everything else in this trailer though, though I have to say that Forest Whitaker looks a little out of place. I never quite imagined him in a Star Wars movie. As long as the action bits are as badass, or even more badass, as the ones in Episode 7 I'm more than happy. Because holy shit that opening assault and holy shit that attack on that bar/hideout place. And my guess is that there'll be a bigger focus on action here so I'm more than happy to watch this.
Yojoo said:
(and may have been one of the soldiers bum-rushing an AT-AT on foot, which is absolute nuts).
Are you kidding me? The thing's a siege engine. Once you're underneath it it's toast, if there's any way to assault it it's on rapidly on foot. Luke showed us that on Hoth. Which is why I wonder which stupid idiot decided to not put two small automated laser turrets on its belly or something.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Yojoo said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Fappy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Scarim Coral said:

Well the reason I feel like this because I was extremely dissipointed in Star Wars The Force Awakens and I found the character Rey really badly written.

I truly think she's a Mary Sue in the sense that she is too perfect (not the Mary Sue definition of a author self insert character)

She immidietly knows how to pilot a Space Ship that she never piloted before, she somehow mastered certain aspects of the Force like Jedi Mind Tricks, and she fended off the main bad guy Kylo Ren with ease in a lightsabre fight.
Oh, this discussion again. At the risk of spending too much time re-posting half the post-Force Awakens internet, bullet points:

-We know virtually nothing concrete about Rey's past
-She actually stated she had piloting experience, just not out of atmosphere
-The Force AWAKENS. We're still figuring out what that means. Clearly, it has implications for Rey.
-Many theories about Rey's past involve her potentially being one of Luke's students who somehow lost her memory.
-Kylo Ren was exhausted and had taken a bowcaster shot to the abdomen, making him significantly easier to fight.
-Rey's skillset is arguably no greater than Luke's was in the first film (Desert planet nobody is apparently a master X-wing pilot, skillful enough with the force to communicate with Kenobi from beyond the grave and make an impossible shot without the standard-issue targeting, fought his way out of the Death Star against overwhelming odds, etc.).
-Based on Kylo's interrogation, we know that Rey's been having some sort of dream connection to Luke ("I see the oceans, I see the island"), and given the Force, all sorts of things are possible.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
But where, pray tell, are the many Bothans who died to bring them that information?
That's the next Death Star.

Cowabungaa said:
Are you kidding me? The thing's a siege engine. Once you're underneath it it's toast. Luke showed us that on Hoth.
Key words being "once you're underneath".

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jadak said:
Key words being "once you're underneath".
Well yeah, but considering its limited arcs of fire and big, slow weapons meant for destroying fortifications and other large vehicles running underneath it is pretty much your best bet if you're on the ground. Like what the Finnish did with Russian tanks and Molotov cocktails.

But y'know, the AT-AT is stupid anyway. Stupid but cool. Star Wars in a nutshell, really.
That's the next Death Star.
Ah, seems like I mixed up my Death Stars then. Ah well it'd been a little awkward with all the masks and suits and shit to see a mostly-Bothan movie.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I know why Mark Hamill has that face: luke skywalker was originally rogue one (when he took over as leader of red squadron and rebuilt/renamed it as rogue squadron) and here they are making a movie with that name and it has nothing to do with him. :p

Seriously, though; the movie looks cool. I was expecting a little more emphasis on pilots and such given the name and the history Rogue Squadron has had over the years (both in the movies and beyond); so I'm a little disappointed about it as I love pilots. This almost feels like it could have been an origin story for Mara Jade (which I'm surprised no one else has mentioned).

I honestly hope they do more movies like this rather than give us the planned boba fett and han solo spin-offs: star wars works just as well when it comes to other characters and stories as it does with the main cast. It's a big galaxy, after all, and the rebellion stretched across the whole damn thing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yojoo said:
Oh, this discussion again. At the risk of spending too much time re-posting half the post-Force Awakens internet, bullet points:

-We know virtually nothing concrete about Rey's past
-She actually stated she had piloting experience, just not out of atmosphere
-The Force AWAKENS. We're still figuring out what that means. Clearly, it has implications for Rey.
-Many theories about Rey's past involve her potentially being one of Luke's students who somehow lost her memory.
-Kylo Ren was exhausted and had taken a bowcaster shot to the abdomen, making him significantly easier to fight.
-Rey's skillset is arguably no greater than Luke's was in the first film (Desert planet nobody is apparently a master X-wing pilot, skillful enough with the force to communicate with Kenobi from beyond the grave and make an impossible shot without the standard-issue targeting, fought his way out of the Death Star against overwhelming odds, etc.).
-Based on Kylo's interrogation, we know that Rey's been having some sort of dream connection to Luke ("I see the oceans, I see the island"), and given the Force, all sorts of things are possible.
-Poe piloted a ship he'd never flown before sufficiently to escape the First Order. This actually doesn't seem to be that big a thing in Star Wars. Strangely, it's not a problem when a man can pilot a ship.
-Luke also mastered the guns on the Falcon. So did Finn, with both a TIE and the Falcon.
-It's worth noting that that bowcaster shot is normally fatal, and Ren was still up and walking.
-Ren was also wounded by Finn moments before.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Ishigami said:

A race change I guess?
As has already been pointed out that refers to info on the 2nd death star, whereas this is about the plans for the 1st death star....

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Unlike The Force Awakens, I might go watch this one at the cinema. I just hope it wont end up taking the same steps from previous movies like Force Awakens.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Looks good. It was nice to see a throwback to all the old designs, from the uniforms of the rebellion guards to the pilot outfits and even the ships.

It is kind of strange that everything looks a bit...newer, I guess? I mean, you can tell that they're going for the old school Star Wars look, but the tech is much better today, from cameras to CGI to just plain props. So while I know what I'm looking at, part of my brain goes, 'That doesn't look quite right.'

Not that it matters. This looks great. I wonder if they will squeeze in Kyle, or other people from the books who helped get these plans. I think I'm looking forward more to this than I was to The Force Awakens--which is saying something.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Oh my, the visuals are there I think but that main character looks like she has zero personality from what they showed.

And the super cheesey "I rebel!".

I also don't really dig this "dark a gritty" stuff they're doing with what originally was a light space opera.