First Trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Revealed

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Does anyone else think Mark looks like he wants to hang himself/has lost control of his life?
For some totally-not-obvious reason, when I see that picture this starts playing in my head:

Nurb said:
I also don't really dig this "dark a gritty" stuff they're doing with what originally was a light space opera.
Yes, light:

Star Wars always had dark enough stuff in it. I'll give that the new trailer is a little heavier, mostly on the action-front. No wonder as Rogue One is going to focus on the down-in-the-dirt soldiers than the One Savior fantasy story of the main series. More Dirty Dozen than Lord of the Rings. Besides, it's a spin-off. It'd be sort of boring if every Star Wars related thing had the same atmosphere.

The "I rebel." thing is cheesy as shit though, good grief. I won't disagree with that.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I saw this trailer earlier. It looks promising. Kinda hoping it turns out more as a heist film, though. I really love the idea of Ocean's Eleven in Star Wars.

Regardless of whether that is what they are going for, I would still love a stealth cameo of George Clooney as a Storm Trooper.

Scarim Coral said:
I wonder if those bigot will complain once again for them to have a strong female lead in the movie?

OT- I admit, I am kinda hyped for it eventhought I would prefer a sequel to The Force Awaken.
Who cares what they think? If someone complains that the new heroes include a lot of women, that tells me I can ignore everything they have to say.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Saltyk said:
I saw this trailer earlier. It looks promising. Kinda hoping it turns out more as a heist film, though. I really love the idea of Ocean's Eleven in Star Wars.

Regardless of whether that is what they are going for, I would still love a stealth cameo of George Clooney as a Storm Trooper.

Scarim Coral said:
I wonder if those bigot will complain once again for them to have a strong female lead in the movie?

OT- I admit, I am kinda hyped for it eventhought I would prefer a sequel to The Force Awaken.
Who cares what they think? If someone complains that the new heroes include a lot of women, that tells me I can ignore everything they have to say.
Same, and I've heard those people have already spoken up although I haven't seen it myself, not like I've been looking.
I won't try to quote, but I remember John Boyega addressing the hullabaloo about a black main character in The Force Awakens and he said something along the lines of "The noise you made had zero impact, nobody listened to you, your movement didn't do anything", which I thought was a pretty good smackdown.

Anyway.

I'm not excited per say, but I'm definitely looking forward to this more than Force Awakens, especially with Donnie Yen. I like to think the extras to fight him were brought in and one of 'em said "So who we fightin'?" "Donnie Yen." "...F*ck."

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Extra-Ordinary said:
Saltyk said:

Scarim Coral said:

Same, and I've heard those people have already spoken up although I haven't seen it myself, not like I've been looking.
I won't try to quote, but I remember John Boyega addressing the hullabaloo about a black main character in The Force Awakens and he said something along the lines of "The noise you made had zero impact, nobody listened to you, your movement didn't do anything", which I thought was a pretty good smackdown.

Anyway.

I'm not excited per say, but I'm definitely looking forward to this more than Force Awakens, especially with Donnie Yen. I like to think the extras to fight him were brought in and one of 'em said "So who we fightin'?" "Donnie Yen." "...F*ck."
John Boyega said that? The more I hear about him, the more I love him.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Yojoo said:
They're probably taking some cues from the MCU films. Marvel is borrowing from their massive background of comic stories for the films, but they understand that to try to adapt all of it is utterly ridiculous. Civil War, for example, is inevitably going to be of infinitely smaller scale than the massive event it was in the comics. And lots of the comics are simply bad.
Point taken.
The Extended Universe has notorious stinkers in it, and trying to adhere to its canon would be ruinous for effective film-making for a variety of reasons.
Maybe not adhere to strictly, but to pick the great bits of canon and alter the terrible bullshit.
But Thrawn was a great concept for a character, so "saving" him in some form seems like a totally justifiable move.
I'd honestly be pissed if they didn't.
Let 98% of the EU burn, in my opinion.
Now that I can drink to.
Though I've always prefered the EU stuff and adaptations over the films. For some reason.

Cowabungaa said:
For some totally-not-obvious reason, when I see that picture this starts playing in my head:

STANDING

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Looks kinda interesting.

A bit cheesy, but, it is a Disney movie.

Kinda hope they cut back on the whole "Mary Sue" thing after The Force Awakens, having god-mode on for the entire movie does very little to build suspense for fight with the big bad at the end, regardless of what goolies you've got between your legs.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Well one of the top Youtube comments involved questioning all the female leads (you know, all two of them) and saying that Disney was alienating the "core" fans, so the answer to your question is a resounding yes.

OT: This looks pretty cool. It seems like it'll be a more focused story by Star Wars standards. They say it's the story of how the rebels get the plans, so I guess that rules her from turning to the dark side (I thought she sort of sounded like Captain Phasma if her helmet wasn't muffling her voice), but she seems like an interesting character. She seems to be toeing the line a lot more than most other major characters in the past (barring Anakin, obviously).

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Scarim Coral said:

Those Bigots are probably already comfortable with the idea of a female Rogue Squadron commander after Jaina Solo did it in the EU, but I'm sure you can find willing trolls on twitter if you look hard enough.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
EDIT: Actually forgot to put this in my first post. Does anyone else think Mark looks like he wants to hang himself/has lost control of his life?
That's the face of a man you said "you would have to pay me $250,000 per second of screen time to get me to play this character again" and was told "Would you like that in cash or check?"

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Saltyk said:
John Boyega said that? The more I hear about him, the more I love him.
Yep, I even found the link. I couldn't find it earlier and I was gonna let it slide but now that I've been quoted, I feel a kind of obligation.

Anyway.

http://bossip.com/1262301/chitchatter-john-boyega-says-hes-a-confident-nigerian-black-chocolate-man-and-slams-star-wars-racists/

They're stupid, and I'm not going to lose sleep over people. The presale tickets have gone through the roof ? their agenda has failed. Miserably.
Huh, looks like I exaggerated a little but there it is.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
Something Amyss said:
Yojoo said:
Oh, this discussion again. At the risk of spending too much time re-posting half the post-Force Awakens internet, bullet points:

-We know virtually nothing concrete about Rey's past
-She actually stated she had piloting experience, just not out of atmosphere
-The Force AWAKENS. We're still figuring out what that means. Clearly, it has implications for Rey.
-Many theories about Rey's past involve her potentially being one of Luke's students who somehow lost her memory.
-Kylo Ren was exhausted and had taken a bowcaster shot to the abdomen, making him significantly easier to fight.
-Rey's skillset is arguably no greater than Luke's was in the first film (Desert planet nobody is apparently a master X-wing pilot, skillful enough with the force to communicate with Kenobi from beyond the grave and make an impossible shot without the standard-issue targeting, fought his way out of the Death Star against overwhelming odds, etc.).
-Based on Kylo's interrogation, we know that Rey's been having some sort of dream connection to Luke ("I see the oceans, I see the island"), and given the Force, all sorts of things are possible.
-Poe piloted a ship he'd never flown before sufficiently to escape the First Order. This actually doesn't seem to be that big a thing in Star Wars. Strangely, it's not a problem when a man can pilot a ship.
-Luke also mastered the guns on the Falcon. So did Finn, with both a TIE and the Falcon.
-It's worth noting that that bowcaster shot is normally fatal, and Ren was still up and walking.
-Ren was also wounded by Finn moments before.
-The jedi mind manipulation trick is never established to have been a particularly difficult use of the force, and managing to pull it off on a brainwashed storm trooper after repeated tries hardly counts as "mastery".
-Luke instantly knew how to fly a completely unfamiliar space ship in the first movie: His x-wing. Hew flew it so well he managed to destroy the most powerful space based weapon in existence, a battle station initially thought to be invincible. Rey gets shit for barely managing to beat a few ties.

lastcigarette

Mar 18, 2010
I'd love to have a Star Wars article where we could talk about Star Wars. I'm hoping when the culture war finally ends both sides are wiped out. That way the rest of us can enjoy life.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
"Forgery of Imperial documents, possession of stolen property, aggravated assault, resisting arrest...."

"On your own from the age of fifteen: reckless, aggressive and undisciplined."

"This is a rebellion isn't it? I rebel."

Urrrrrrrrgh, I think my eyeballs just rolled right out of their sockets and out the room. Aside from that, looks pretty cool: those Dark Troopers(?) look totally bitchin' and I liked the blending of the Rebel and Imperial motifs in the trailer's soundtrack.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Pluvia said:
Yojoo said:
Yeah... Rogue One seems like a great spot to tell a new story, but I'm significantly less interested in origin-stories of old characters. Especially Fett, since his entire personality and mystique is due to the Extended Universe and he barely does anything at all in the actual films.

I'd have preferred a look at the distant past of the world. Old Republic stuff, etc.
We got Bobba Fett's entire origin story in Attack of the Clones.
Is it really a origin story if it consists entirely of "Dialogue about Jango wanting to raise a normally ageing clone of himself" and "Child-Boba picks up his dad's head and looks sad"?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ThatOtherGirl said:
-The jedi mind manipulation trick is never established to have been a particularly difficult use of the force, and managing to pull it off on a brainwashed storm trooper after repeated tries hardly counts as "mastery".
Yeah, also true. Rey managed to mind trick one trooper after three tries. Not exactly what I would call the pinnacle of power.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Yojoo said:
We may not literally get Thrawn, but I did get a Grand Admiral vibe here,
Oh the vibe is definitely there. I just hope they do something with it.
and Disney is certainly capable of "borrowing" from the best of the EU even as they strike it from canon. It would make some sense to introduce a Thrawn-clone for Rogue One.
This is actually what gives me a bit of a headache. They strike everything from canon only to possibly include what they want or expies. Why expies and not adapt the EU?
On that note: who is the actor in the white uniform? I don't recognize him.
Absolutely no idea. I suck at identifying actors.
Edit: Since we're talking Star Wars, I should clarify that by "Thrawn-clone" I mean a character reminiscent of Thrawn. Not literally a clone of the character from the books.
I wouldn't count the possibility out if someone gets drunk and decides to do something that insane. Bonus points if they did it and made it work.
EDIT: Actually forgot to put this in my first post. Does anyone else think Mark looks like he wants to hang himself/has lost control of his life?
While i am excited for this movie, when I saw Luke I can't help but think that he went to the Dark Side of Fanfics