First Trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Debuted at E3

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I'm expecting some of the more faithful Zelda fans to start pitching a fit about some of the changes they're making. The game is turning more into a mishmash of Zelda, Dark Souls, Shadow of the Colossus, and Far Cry. I for one welcome the changes.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
kekkres said:
They mentioned that all of the npc's besides the old man and story elements had been removed for the E3 version.
That seems very counter-productive for an E3 demo. 'Let's make the game look worse so we can show people why they need to buy it.' Might've been better to show off one of the dungeons, instead of having this awkward let's play where Link is faffing around in the middle of nowhere.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
So things to take away from the stream:

Nintendo: BTW, the Plateau is just one part of the map as a whole.

Gamers: Huh?

Nintendo: Oh, and there are over a hundred of these Shrines littered throughout the landscape

Gamers: HUH?

Nintendo: And Dungeons are separate from Shrines

Gamers: HUH!?

Nintendo: And here's a tiny bit of the map outside of the Plateau

Gamers: -Heads explode en masse-

Nintendo: Man, you guys ain't gonna last until release.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Looks pretty amazing. I was hoping for a darker Twilight Princess-style feel. But given that it might've ended up looking like an (even more) high-fantasy Skyrim, I think I'll give a cell-shaded open world adventure a chance. It looks gorgeous as a cell shaded game. While I get the dialogue that the whole twin launch thing might be terrible in the long run ... as I'd imagine the NX version would be more of a 'remaster, with nothing but better graphics...'

Still ... two thumbs up. Zelda sums up gaming for me. Since I was 4 ... it's been my biggest exposure to gaming, perhaps shy of tabletop gaming ... but I can't remember a single time when I've said; "This is shit..." when playing the non-titular character and with a controller in my hands (Barring those Games That Shall Not Be Named) ... I'm sure I'll atleast like it ... so first day purchase for me.

If it gives me a Hyrule half the size of Xenoblade XC then I won't complain. I do wonder how they'll manage monster difficulties (given no levels). I'd imagine some open world monsters can't be defeated without certain weaponry/gadgets .... but if that is the only barrier, it sounds like you're going to spend a lot of the game doing the Xenoblade XC thing of timing movement to coincide with monster movement paths and aggro zones.

There seems to be a stealth element in there at least

Thing is, without levels and just having monster/attack specific set damage rates that might be kind of better as a world. Rather than the Skyrim thing of world levelling or XCX's set area monster levels ... but rather, the cooler idea of; "You can take on any monster ... but if you fuck up once or twice you die." Feels more heroic that way ... like you were always born with the ability to become that person who you were always meant to be ... just with experience and the right gear you get better at being that person.

It's kind of odd, but I was thinking of early '17 games I might like and both this and Horizon are coming up on my radar, with little in competition. Both open world. Both have people riding mounts, running around with bows, arrows, and spears ... fighting gigantic beasts. Coincidence, maybe.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
ffronw said:
I may be the odd man out here, but I watched a ton of the extended gameplay stream, and I hope that Nintendo still has lots of things to add to the game, because right now it's a vast open world full of a whole lot of nothing. I'm hoping they didn't make it so big that they couldn't fill it with stuff to do, but judging from today's stream, it kind of looked they might have.
Eh, I definitely see your point, but I do think towards the end when we explored some of the other areas it does diversify a lot more. What with the two overworld bosses and whatnot. Plus they are avoiding the towns as well as any story so it could be better. With that being said I can see what you're saying but in my opinion the emptiness of the world kind of emphasizes the isolation and decay of Hyrule.

Apr 25, 2009
Wow. I've never been a big Zelda fan (I just dislike the formula and puzzle style at times) but this looks pretty incredible. Ghibli-SoTC-Zelda. Fuck me. Definitely interested, maybe enough to buy a WiiU.

Although I am a fan of exploration games. Just give me a world like this and I'll comb every inch of it. I understand that's not enough for some people though, and this is definitely a shakeup for the formula.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
Was that Link wearing a full suit of armor that didn't make him look like a pansy?
Give me a fully covering Helmet to slap on to his head and I can get my Dark Souls jollies on (I REALLY hope they do give us a face covering helmet though)

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
PaulH said:
If it gives me a Hyrule half the size of Xenoblade XC then I won't complain. I do wonder how they'll manage monster difficulties (given no levels). I'd imagine some open world monsters can't be defeated without certain weaponry/gadgets .... but if that is the only barrier, it sounds like you're going to spend a lot of the game doing the Xenoblade XC thing of timing movement to coincide with monster movement paths and aggro zones.

There seems to be a stealth element in there at least

Thing is, without levels and just having monster/attack specific set damage rates that might be kind of better as a world. Rather than the Skyrim thing of world levelling or XCX's set area monster levels ... but rather, the cooler idea of; "You can take on any monster ... but if you fuck up once or twice you die." Feels more heroic that way ... like you were always born with the ability to become that person who you were always meant to be ... just with experience and the right gear you get better at being that person.
Judging by the Treehouse videos, I think there will be things that can one shot you regardless. In a few of the videos they tried taking on an awakened, but stuck, guardian which was doing about 5.5 hearts worth of damage a shot, albeit with a long delay. It was built like a tank with 500 HP and the highest strength bow we saw was Attack 14 and there were at least 10 fire arrows. Can't find the damage on those but it took 2-3 to drop a 72HP mob. Even without the arrow upgrades the Treehouse guy managed to knock off 50-60HP before he died or ran off (can't remember.) The random rock monster can probably do similar damage but took 25-33% of damage from just climbing on it and beating it with a sword.

I kind of like the idea that they go more XCX with it, there are things out there that can quickly kill you unless you avoid them, gather stronger gear, or just have a good amount of skill. Both of the guardians and the rock monster could be conceivably killed without needing that much gear beyond what's already available on the plateau and I'm sure someone will get kills on them during the floor demo.

Justank

Nov 17, 2010
Legend of Zelder Scrolls looks great, pretty stoked for it. Glad to see a new direction for LoZ.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Looks interesting. Did anyone else felt that the level of technology felt a bit more primitive than usual? Meaning that it seemed something like the Iron Age instead of a more sophisticated era like in previous Zelda games?

Also, I wonder who the villain is going to be, I remember them talking something about having a break from Ganondorf.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Definitely looks different from the standard Zelda fare, but I like the look of it. As others have said, it's got a Ghibli-Zelda-SotC feel going on. So long as it still has other characters, towns and plot then it should be good. Heck, if they can make lightning strike twice and include a character as adored as Midna, then this one could be amazing.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
It appears to be playing in the future of Windwaker, seeing how you could see a Korok in the gameplay demo on the floor. Exciting. Windwaker is the best Zelda we ever had.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Jute88 said:
Looks interesting. Did anyone else felt that the level of technology felt a bit more primitive than usual? Meaning that it seemed something like the Iron Age instead of a more sophisticated era like in previous Zelda games?

Also, I wonder who the villain is going to be, I remember them talking something about having a break from Ganondorf.
They have been having a break from Ganon since TP. He's name dropped a couple of times in the demo so he's definitely back, apparently as ''Calamity Ganon''

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Jute88 said:
Actually kinda felt like the opposite. With the Sheikah Slablet Link has it felt kinda like it was highly advanced but had regressedva bit.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
BabySinclair said:
Judging by the Treehouse videos, I think there will be things that can one shot you regardless. In a few of the videos they tried taking on an awakened, but stuck, guardian which was doing about 5.5 hearts worth of damage a shot, albeit with a long delay. It was built like a tank with 500 HP and the highest strength bow we saw was Attack 14 and there were at least 10 fire arrows. Can't find the damage on those but it took 2-3 to drop a 72HP mob. Even without the arrow upgrades the Treehouse guy managed to knock off 50-60HP before he died or ran off (can't remember.) The random rock monster can probably do similar damage but took 25-33% of damage from just climbing on it and beating it with a sword.

I kind of like the idea that they go more XCX with it, there are things out there that can quickly kill you unless you avoid them, gather stronger gear, or just have a good amount of skill. Both of the guardians and the rock monster could be conceivably killed without needing that much gear beyond what's already available on the plateau and I'm sure someone will get kills on them during the floor demo.
Ehhh, it kind of went a bit beyond skilled though ... getting one shotted by an elite monster is kind of a plentiful experience early game. Particularly the long ranging monsters you didn't notice your first time in a new continent. You beat up on a small monstear, and then get angroed from behind. Given you're only one character I do hope that there's plenty of stealth or distraction abilities ... the video seems to suggest multiple environmental 'cheats' to get past mobs ... I kind of hope that interactivity with the environment provides that versatility at least. I don't mind mobs one shotting you if you screw up, particularly in the early game and you know you're taking on a serious beastie for drops of some kind (assuming they're in the game, beyond the usual restock item stuff) ... so long as you can block, dodge, or somehow blade reflect ... give it a monster hunter style of feel ... which with the body climbing mechanic seems more 'right' to me.

If it did the XCX thing of predetermined evasions and damage stuff ... that won't feel very Zelda-ry to me. Given the video seems to suggest more primary arms than bow and sword (I saw a spear) ... I do hope that will do the Monster Hunter thing of completely changing up the versatility and feel with the control scheme.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
so far, the weps i saw were... swords (various named) clubs (monsters) woodcutters axe (found) a hammer (shrine found) sticks (found and gathered) bows (find, dropped and shrine treasure) and the ripped off arm of one of the skeleton type mobs (which kept wiggling its fingerbones even after it was removed)

there was stealth (sneak) distraction tactics (they notice things like bombs and you can hide till they forget you) buffing (cook the right combinations of foods and you can get snacks and elixers that give you any number of effects, from stealth to cold resist to stamina buffing to temporary hearts) gathering and hunting (have access to a wolf link amiibo, he can dogmeat for you) so far its looking like they bugged my brain XD to see what i wanted from a zelda game (tho i admit, my primary want was to see link get some solid food in that body of his. all i have seen him eat is milk, soup and potions till now)

also, the reason there was such a feeling of emptiness was that 1) the plateu was seperated from the main bulk of the worldmap (i think i remember hearing about how it was supposed to be a sacred place, somewhere people didnt get to easily) and that 2) they took all the villages, towns and npc's except the old man away so that it wouldnt spoiler the game. this means that you will maybe be able to recognise the towns and villages in the distance. you could jump down and get to areas they didnt want us to get to fully, so the build they got at E3 was a spoiler-free version XD

and the blacked out areas of the map were HUGE. later on they walked the edges of the platau and tagged some of the areas with the slate, and they were sooo far away considering how much area the platau covered...im going to end up dissapearing for days in there XD

hamsterkilla

Battlefield veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Davroth said:
It appears to be playing in the future of Windwaker, seeing how you could see a Korok in the gameplay demo on the floor. Exciting. Windwaker is the best Zelda we ever had.

That's exactly what I was thinking. This seems more like a mix of Windwaker (aka the large open world full of tiny islands you could explore) with the openness of the first Zelda game (aka you could go anywhere and do anything)

Color me excited, because I loved the how desolate and open the sea of Windwaker was. So if they can pull off the same feeling this will be a day one buy for me.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
This is looking so good!!!
Getting a Xenoblade vibe from this, but in Hyrule, which is a very very good thing :D

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Davroth said:
Is that not the repaired bridge of eldin from Twilight princess though?