Fitness Company Sues Nintendo

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Fitness Company Sues Nintendo

An interactive fitness company based out of Maryland is suing Nintendo, claiming that the company has infringed on two of its patents.

IA Labs, an interactive fitness company is suing Nintendo for patent infringement, following the release of Wii Fit Plus [http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Fit-Nintendo/dp/B000VJRU44/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278534413&sr=1-2] and several other peripherals. IA Labs claims that it has been irreparably harmed by the release of the titles.

The patents behind the lawsuit are "Computer interactive isometric exercise system and method for operatively interconnecting the exercise system to a computer system for use as a peripheral" and "Force measurement system for an isometric exercise device".

IA Labs claims to have informed Nintendo of the possible overlap between the technologies in 2007 and several e-mails apparently show that IA Labs wanted to license its technology to Nintendo.

This suit comes mere days after Nintendo won its appeal against another patent lawsuit, this time over Wii Classic, Wavebird and GameCube controllers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99942-Nintendo-Wins-Appeal-Over-Motion-Controller]

Source: Nintendo World Report [http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=22903]

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
Damned patent laws, so apparently if your product resembles one that's been patented completely unknown to you they have the right to sue? I call shenanigans!

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
you relize everyone sues years after the product has been realsed, besides nintendo always comes out one top

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
This is ridiculous. Although I must at least give them credit for trying to settle things out of court, even if they had literally no leg to stand on.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
What is this? Suit 5678? As with everything, everyone thinks it is a rip of what they have done.

I doubt they have the money, ro lawyers to go up against Nintendo anyway

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Is this a genuine grievance, or another company with generic all encompassing patents for non existant products.

Hmmmmm...

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
As much as I think those Wii Fit games are pointless, I hate patent trolling even more.
By the way, I patent the letters A, E, I, O, and U. Any unauthorized use will result in a lawsuit. Escapist Magazine, for your 6 infractions in your title alone my lawyer will be contacting you.

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
"Computer interactive isometric exercise system and method for operatively interconnecting the exercise system to a computer system for use as a peripheral"
A console with the balance board.

Logan Westbrook said:
"Force measurement system for an isometric exercise device".
A scale.

So yeah.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Katana314 said:
As much as I think those Wii Fit games are pointless, I hate patent trolling even more.
By the way, I patent the letters A, E, I, O, and U. Any unauthorized use will result in a lawsuit. Escapist Magazine, for your 6 infractions in your title alone my lawyer will be contacting you.
An Elephant In an Oven Understands You.
Am I in trouble?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Ah, this whole suing culture is finally bombarding its ugly arse into the gaming industry... yay...

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
Sorry if I'm reading into this a bit much, but where is this sue-happy nature coming from? Are people unable to stand on their own two feet without having to mooch off a larger company in the hopes of getting more money? This all links back to the fact that man has become more and more obssessed with greed and wealth than ever before. It's ridiculous. Such is society these days.

People need to learn to be content with what they have. If you want something, earn it. Don't try to leech another company's hard-earned money.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
The reason why they come years after is to be able if winning to get even bigger compensations. Obviously their chances are little.