Five Actors Who Should Play Gordon Freeman in A Half-Life Movie

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Five Actors Who Should Play Gordon Freeman in A Half-Life Movie

Were a Half-Life 3 movie to be made, who should play Gordon Freeman?

Read Full Article

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Eh, pick any guy at least 6'0", brown hair and eyes and can grow a beard. It's not like he'll need to speak or have a personality anyways.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Edward Norton could do it, I think. As for the other choices, I can only hope that you are sufficiently disgusted with yourselves for even going to those places, gentlemen. For shame!

Anyway, you're tardy to the pardy:

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Obviously it should be Robert Costanzo or Danny DeVito. Or both, alternating between scenes; I doubt anybody would notice.

P.S. Thanks

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I haven't even read the article, but I'm willing to bet they are all wrong. The only way to do a Half-Life movie correctly is to do it like one of those filmed documentary movies (Blair Witch, Cloverfield, etc), where Freeman is the camera. And he needs to be a mute.

:p

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Ok here are my picks.... No one, no one, no one, no one, and no one. There is no good movie to be made from this franchise... only despair. What scene is possibly something you'd like to see in a movie? Gordon Freeman says nothing through out the games so much so that it feels like a little bit of a joke sometimes and I personally love that. If there is an actor interested in playing a mute scientist with no lines as a weird story happens at him? then maybe, but do we need Edward Norton for that?

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Surprised Hugh Laurie didn't make the list. He's tall, he's a great actor...and though a little older, he totally looks the part.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Ross Scott, the only guy in the world that could make Gordon Freeman talking sound right, and he could even look like him with a shave and a haircut.

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
immortalfrieza said:
Ross Scott, the only guy in the world that could make Gordon Freeman talking sound right, and he could even look like him with a shave and a haircut.
I agree, he should definitely be considered first. Though what he needs isn't a shave, he specifically needs the facial hair for it.

Gordon isn't an action hero, he's a doctor in theoretical physics who hardly uses that title, so who better to play him than not an actor, but a voice talent for a role of a man who never speaks.

I know the list is only for actors specifically, but Ross is a shoo-in.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Bleugh... Why on Earth (and/or Xen) would you WANT to make a Half-Life movie? A movie of the events of Half-Life, sure, but Gordon Freeman, having no expressed traits or personality, hardly even qualifies as a "character". My first thought is to tell Eli Vance's story, but then you end up losing most of what Gordon saw and did. The only way to make it work, short of shoehorning in another character, would be to make him mute. I find it amusing that whoever wrote this piece seems to think that's impossible; apparently Akkad's "The Message" was just something I hallucinated. Yes, that movie was a very different experience than the modern CGI explodapalooza that a Half-Life movie would likely be, but c'mon, you've gotta take your risks somewhere.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Senneca said:
I'm going to just assume we're willing to overlook how terrible of an idea a Half-Life movie would be, and point out the only logical choice would be Bryan Cranston. We've already established he can play the science nerd/ badass killer. Why even consider anyone else?
I was just about to bemoan the lack of Bryan Cranston love, well done sir!

Seriously there'd be barely any makeup work needed with Bryan Cranston, I mean ok he may be a little too old but fuck it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't know if it's because of the name but JGL was in my mind as I clicked on the list. Norton and Isaac are good contenders too. Hartnett and Bell, pass.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
are you kidding me???? seriously??

Bryan Cranston. /thread

don't believe me? just wait for the guy to post who's avatar is that orangey half-life logo, you'll see it too.

on the flip side, if the movie version is a silent as the game version, that would be a huge waste of potential.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
This guy.

COMaestro said:
I haven't even read the article, but I'm willing to bet they are all wrong. The only way to do a Half-Life movie correctly is to do it like one of those filmed documentary movies (Blair Witch, Cloverfield, etc), where Freeman is the camera. And he needs to be a mute.

:p
Or this. Or something like this.

I always imagined (if it HAD to be done, which I really think it SHOULDN'T) a HL movie working well with Gordon being a mute. But his lack of dialogue would have to be worked in more cleverly than him just being silent. The character must be visually expressive but every time he goes to speak the audience won't hear him. Either he's drowned out by environmental noise (Black Mesa trams, explosions, etc) or someone cuts him off (in keeping with the awkward and often outright rude behaviour of a lot of the NPCs in the original). Early in the movie/story this can be played for laughs, but later on things would be too much of a panic for him to bother speaking. Gordon isn't a character who lends himself to cheesy one-liners anyway, so grim silent determination with some expressive sound fits the bill in my opinion.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I like Jamie Bell. Best choice offered.

I think both Brian Cranston and Hugh Laurie a bit long of tooth for the role.

crotchdot

Jun 11, 2010
Senneca said:
...the only logical choice would be Bryan Cranston.
And here I was thinking I was going to be the first to suggest that, but turns out the thread is starting to fill up with people who all have the same idea.