Five Actresses Who Could Play Live Action Mulan

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Five Actresses Who Could Play Live Action Mulan

Let's cast aside the rumors of Scarlett Johansson playing Mulan and pick some proper actresses for the role.

Read Full Article

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Arden Cho is just a picture of Jon Hamm....

Also the baiter in me wants to ask that if Hermione can be black, why can't Mulan?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I never knew Arden Cho looked so much like Jon Hamm!

Ming-Na Wen is a talented actress, and it's always nice to see a voice actor reprise their role for live action (Daran Norris in A Fairly Odd Movie, Jonathan Freeman in stage productions of Aladdin), but I think she's too old for the role. Mulan is 16 in the original film, and while there is some room for give, I don't think there's nearly that much room.

My personal choice is Brenda Song. While much of her earlier work (The Suite Life of Zack and Cody) was rubbish, more recently she's shown herself to have real acting chops in films like The Social Network, and she's got a strong relationship with Disney and just the right look for the character. I would cast her as Mulan in a heartbeat.

P.S. Thanks

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, that Arden Cho pic! I was like... uh oh, someone doesn't know what women or Chinese people look like.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Josh123914 said:
Also the baiter in me wants to ask that if Hermione can be black, why can't Mulan?
It's kind of easy.
Two quick things:
1) Mulan is based on a real person.
2) Hermione was never given a specific race.

:p

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Huh? What is wrong with http://onceuponatime.wikia.com/wiki/Jamie_Chung

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
The correct answer is obviously Steve Buscemi.

Come on, I'd watch that.
Come on man, Steve Buscemi is already busy playing Christian Grey in the next Fifty Shades movie.

On the other hand, I would absolutely go see a movie where Mulan is played by Jon Hamm.

Sep 13, 2009
I came here to suggest Scarlett Johansson for the role. Turns out my joke was already taken almost a year ago, except someone went on to publish it as actual news

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
While it'd be neat to see another live action Mulan movie its been done already. From what I recall it wasn't bad, nor that memorable.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I think Johnny Depp should do it just to see the internet explode into a million fractured bloody pieces!
You ever say something that makes you think that you subscribe to the "Some men just want to watch the world burn" philosophy?

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Josh123914 said:

I know you know the answer to this, but still - because Hermione's race was not relevant to her character, whereas Mulan's race is central to hers.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
I hate to be the one to say that an actress is too old for a role, but since it's rather central to her character that she's young and doing this for her father, Ming na Wen is really too old now to be playing a teenage girl. My knowledge of China around that time (or any other time for that matter) is sorely lacking, but would a woman still be living with her family when she's 40 or so? I'd imagine she'd be married and have her own family.
Of course I suppose they could always re-write the film so that she'd go instead of her husband, though that might make the romance part of the film kind of weird :p

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Josh123914 said:

I've noticed a couple other people attempted to take your bait with a serious response...so I'll go with an obvious yet not-so-serious response:

Because they didn't have black people in Ancient China.

:3

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Covarr said:
Ming-Na Wen is a talented actress, and it's always nice to see a voice actor reprise their role for live action (Daran Norris in A Fairly Odd Movie, Jonathan Freeman in stage productions of Aladdin), but I think she's too old for the role. Mulan is 16 in the original film, and while there is some room for give, I don't think there's nearly that much room.
Yeah, I don't think she is right for the part either. One of the mayor points of Mulan's story is that she defied social and filial conventions by going to war instead of having a more traditional role like training to get a husband, something that would not sound out of place for a young girl at the time, but would be scandalous on an adult woman.
gphjr14 said:
While it'd be neat to see another live action Mulan movie its been done already. From what I recall it wasn't bad, nor that memorable.
That movie wasn't bad, but it did feature a problem with producing a Mulan movie on this day and age: Mulan is a highly political character in modern China, to the point of being mythological. A movie that wants to adapt any version of the story of Mulan (there are several), and still make it into the Chinese market, would have to be made safe and cleaned up so much it would be almost indistinguishable from propaganda (think of a biopic of Washington before the removal of the Hays Code).

This is slightly different story than when the original Disney's Mulan was released because, at the time, Hollywood was not interested in the Chinese market at all. Now the Chinese market is almost as large as the American market by itself, to the point I have no doubt part of the reason Disney is interested in retelling this story instead of, for example, Beauty and the Beast, is because they are looking at the overseas potential of having a Chinese heroine. However, considering how overzealous the Chinese government is with mass entertainment imports, those that portrait Chinese in general and Mulan in particular, I don't think producing this movie is such a good idea, unless we lower our expectations accordingly or Disney produces an entirely different editor's cut for that market.