Five Charged After Kid Sells Kidney to Buy an iPad

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Poor kid, stupid bastard though he may be. Paid organ trading like this is messed up, but when it's only for $3,500 and that money goes towards an iPad and iPod, that's tragic.

inidu

Nov 14, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
Ix Rebound said:
BreakfastMan said:
Wow, I gotta say, running that scam sure took a lot of guts.
*facepalm*
really?
Yes, really. Why do you ask, if I may dissect your mind? Do you not have the stones to take a joke?
I'm glad you bold your terrible jokes for my convenience. I might not have noticed them otherwise.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
krazykidd said:
This isn't funny ... But at the same time i find this unbelievable . I mean the kid is 17 . At that age , a person should at LEAST have the common sense NOT to do something like this . I mean , it's sad , but i can no longer be sympathetic to stupid people . It's not like the kid was attacked and robbed of his kidney . STUPIDITY is not an excuse .
You'd think.

But what he did is not the most outlandish thing that people you know twice his age believe is rational.

Each culture is surrounded by people who are quite inconsistent with their sanity and certainly flimsy with their ability to reason.

It's a sad story, a super creepy story, but he's not exceptionally stupid. He's just stupid in a way that doesn't jive with the stupid that you or I might find culturally acceptable.

Also that image...that is the thing of nightmares. I have a close relationship with my organs...I'll be damned if I'd ever sell one of them. I'd miss it for life.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
Sacman said:
Really a kidney's worth that much?
*Looks at pocket knife...*
*Looks at Kidney...*
Hmm...<.<
oh hell yeah on the black market your organs alone worth a fortune which is why I think we should be allowed to legally sell a kidney if you want to. Hell it's huge felony here and don't even get me started on how people throw away life saving organs because they didn't donate or parents didn't sign off. I would sell mine with out a second thought so I could keep my house lawl
I do suppose in death I wouldn't mind spreading the wealth, as long as my organs had a continuous donation clause.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Kids a fucking idiot. Who would want an apple product anyway? Seriously who wants one and who wants one because its an apple brand? lol. Poor kid, i do wonder if he was forced into it by the adults.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
It's too bad Apple doesn't make kidneys...
Coming next year: iKidney 2.0 - Now thinner and faster!

I feel great shame that I had nothing better to do but make that image.
Ive already got Kidney 2. As in two of them. lol

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Windu23 said:
And here, I thought the body could survive with only one kidney.
That's the thing, I think a lot of people think that, and a truly compelling individual, the used car salesman type, could be quite convincing that you don't really need two kidneys, but you want an Iphone. "Just a quick little procedure, you get some one-time money and get on with your life. I'm gonna give you an offer you can't refuse..."

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Redlin5 said:
I don't think there is anything I would volunteer an internal organ for. Certainly not an Apple product.

I'm disgusted that they actually did this.
Um, I'd actually trade a kidney for my own implanted laser missile defence system. That shit's is so useful! once you get one you'll see what I'm talking about, you won't even understand how you lived without one before!

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
idarkphoenixi said:
I have an iPad....They're not that great. I got one for Christmas and I never even use it.
Can I have it then? I want to trade for a kidney for my sick cousin.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Richardplex said:
Grey Carter said:
Kopikatsu said:
Grey Carter said:
A 17-year-old is now suffering from renal failure after selling one of his kidneys for the equivalent of $3500.

The kid, identified only by his surname, Wang (previously identified as "Zheng [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110611-Teen-Sells-Kidney-for-iPad-2]"), spent his miniscule share of the $35,000 the sale of his kidney generated on a new iPad and iPhone.
$3,500 or $35,000? $3,500 seems more likely, but...
The total sale was worth $35k, he got paid $3.5k.
He got 10% for a split of 6? Boy needs to learn to barter...

OT: Don't care, idiot is an idiot, selling your organ for something so material won't garner any sympathy from me.
Even more since it was his kidney. If anything he should have gotten the most.

But ya, dumbass kid. Feel no pity for him whatsoever.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Interesting to see more information on this story, I remember when I first heard about it. The world's a cruel place, and the people involved are all contemptible.

Sam_I_Am

Jul 17, 2008
disappointed said:
Lurid, sensationalist story with "iPad" thrown in for linkbait. He bought various bits of tech with the cash. So what? That's not particularly important. The real story here is about the criminal gangs that lure naive kids into giving up vital organs to sell on the black market, a market which must stretch all the way up to medical professionals who really should know better than to play any part in such a hideous scheme.

It's a depressing reflection on the state of journalism that it takes an SEO-friendly keyword to get anyone to pay attention.
I think this point needs a little more attention then it's getting. I meant sure the kid was an idiot, no doubt about it, but there have to be a whole bunch of very grown up adults who deserve just as much scrutiny as a young kid who made a really stupid mistake.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Is it wrong for me not to care if he lives or dies? 17 is far and above the age to realize you're doing something monumentally stupid.

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
herp derp edit**

Since when does only having one kidney send you into renal failure, i know two people who have just 1 and both are totally fine, i thought that was the point of donating a kidney to someone...

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
You can get 35,000 Bazongas for a kidney?!
Shit, I never liked my stepmother.

More on topic, at least the kid DID get an iPad, and it really brings home the phrase "I'd die for one of those."

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
The kid should live. there are many people who live fine lives on one kidney. The whole reason we have 2 is because if 1 fails another one still allow us to live funny normal lives. (obviuosly exessive drinking and bad eating will destroy your kidneys whether its 1 or 2).

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I do feel sorry for the kid, but the fact he did it to buy materiel things makes my pitty for him less.

If it was to feed his family or something I'd feel really bad for him.

And getting 3.5k for 35k? Guy got robbed already.

Mr C

May 8, 2008
No, this will cost his family a fortune.
Nantucket said:
Is there free health care in China? If not I hope his mother sells that Ipad to pay for his treatment.
No, this will cost his family a fortune.

To another post - "there are 3 Apple stores in China" This is in no way the reason. There are actually 3 in Shanghai and 2 in Beijing. The province of Yunnan may be far away from either city, but that is irrelevant. Apple products are easy to buy in China (not just fakes BTW) all over the place, especially taobao the local equivalent of ebay.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Thinking back to the day, could I've been conned into selling one of my kidneys - or any organ, for that matter - when I was 17? Damn, I hope not. Certainly not for some electronic thingamabob.

As far as common sense goes, this is far below par, but then who knows how they talked him into it.