Five Charged After Kid Sells Kidney to Buy an iPad

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Five Charged After Kid Sells Kidney to Buy an iPad

A 17-year-old is now suffering from renal failure after selling one of his kidneys for the equivalent of $3500.

The kid, identified only by his surname, Wang (previously identified as "Zheng [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110611-Teen-Sells-Kidney-for-iPad-2]"), spent his miniscule share of the $35,000 the sale of his kidney generated on a new iPad and iPhone. The rest of the money was split between the five cretins running the scam, two of which, including the surgeon who performed the operation, have been identified as employees of a provincial hospital in Yunnan province. The ringleader of the operation, He Wei, apparently set it up to help pay off his gambling debts. Several other suspects believed to be involved in the case are currently being investigated.

The organ traders were arrested after Wang's mother noticed her son's shiny new apple products and asked him where he'd got the money. Of course, if he hadn't given the game away by telling her there and then, the fact he probably began peeing and vomiting blood as his remaining kidney struggled to do the work of two probably would have. He's currently in hospital undergoing treatment for renal failure.

Though apparently banned in 2007, organ trading still presents a massive problem for China, particularly in its poorest regions. The country's older population has been quick to cast their wrinkly judgment on the younger generation, using Zheng's undeniably poor decision-making skills as "an extreme example of the rampant materialism of modern China."

Source: National Post [http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/04/09/teen-buys-iphone-with-kidney-in-china-five-charged/]

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
This isn't funny ... But at the same time i find this unbelievable . I mean the kid is 17 . At that age , a person should at LEAST have the common sense NOT to do something like this . I mean , it's sad , but i can no longer be sympathetic to stupid people . It's not like the kid was attacked and robbed of his kidney . STUPIDITY is not an excuse .

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
*shakes head*. I love it when people misunderstand their bodies. Just because you CAN live on one kidney, doesn't mean you should and it doesn't mean you just go on living your life the same way. You lose a kidney you're in for serious doctor visits for the rest of your life.

I hope the kid pulls through. And I bet the scammers do to or else they could be looking at some form of murder charge.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Grey Carter said:
A 17-year-old is now suffering from renal failure after selling one of his kidneys for the equivalent of $3500.

The kid, identified only by his surname, Wang (previously identified as "Zheng [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110611-Teen-Sells-Kidney-for-iPad-2]"), spent his miniscule share of the $35,000 the sale of his kidney generated on a new iPad and iPhone.
$3,500 or $35,000? $3,500 seems more likely, but...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I don't think there is anything I would volunteer an internal organ for. Certainly not an Apple product.

I'm disgusted that they actually did this.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Darwin award winner for sure.

Need to sell your organs to buy more iCrap? There's an app for that.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Grey Carter said:

The kid, identified only by his surname, Wang (previously identified as "Zheng [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110611-Teen-Sells-Kidney-for-iPad-2]"), spent his miniscule share of the $35,000 the sale of his kidney generated on a new iPad and iPhone.
The total sale was worth $35k, he got paid $3.5k.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Kopikatsu said:
Grey Carter said:

Ah, my mistake.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I'm offering to form a new Charitable organization: "Give an Asian an Apple Product" (GAAP). Basically, we give them our old Ipods, Iphones, Ipads and Macbooks that we no longer use (But are still in good-decent quality), so they don't do stupid crud like this.

We just would need Apple's approval to do it...

OT: Stupid kid is stupid, but it shows the lengths of how much Chinese people want an Apple Product.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Crazy. Sounds like he had a bad kidney to begin with. A person can survive just fine on a single Kidney. But, he probably had a failing kidney in the first place and the other one was taking care of business. Shits crazy though. I just can't imagine anything being worth your health, but I am also an educated kind of fellah. I think the fact that he showed he would sell his organs will also prevent him from any hope of getting a transplant as well, unless they actually get his kidney back... which I doubt they could.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Now see if China allowed him to have a younger sister, then he could have just sold her instead! Even though he would would have gotten as good a price, but he also wouldn't have had to split it.
Slavery is not legal in China...

Apr 28, 2008
Shame all this happened. Just a damn shame. Plus, chances are there'll be a better version of his ipad/iphone in a few months.

So goes the life of an Apple customer. [http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple]

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
aba1 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Now see if China allowed him to have a younger sister, then he could have just sold her instead! Even though he would would have gotten as good a price, but he also wouldn't have had to split it.
Slavery is not legal in China...
Neither is organ trading, apparently...

I'm partially sharing the opinion of the "Darwin award" crowd and partially sharing the one of the "Bloody organ traders" crowd.
Hope the five upstanding gents get executed. ^_^

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Kopikatsu said:
Grey Carter said:

He got 10% for a split of 6? Boy needs to learn to barter...

OT: Don't care, idiot is an idiot, selling your organ for something so material won't garner any sympathy from me.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Foolish boy.

Well, he's certainly paying for his mistakes now. Bet he's kicking himself in that hospital.

I'm glad they got the culprits though. Now they won't lure in another foolish person.