Five Dead in Chinese Game Center Dispute

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Five Dead in Chinese Game Center Dispute

A massive brawl at a gaming center in China ended in tragedy Sunday night.

Over the weekend, an argument broke out at the Milky Way Express, a gaming center in Chongqing, quickly erupting in violence that claimed the lives of five people and injured at least two other individuals. At the height of the melee, more than 20 people were reportedly involved. Some wielded knives and batons, according to reports.

The fray started when several young men began arguing with the game center's manager, police told the Xinhua news agency. As the incident escalated, the fight broke out and others joined the brawl. Police did not release the names of those killed in the fight, since the investigation was still ongoing. Following the incident, authorities mandated security inspections at internet bars and videogame centers in the area.

There's no word as to what set off the argument. Given the limited information released by the authorities, it's hard to say whether the dispute arose from a gaming-related matter, gang business or just rowdy behavior.

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
The store should have had more stock of "Disney Sing It" so things like this wouldn't happen!

shadowbird

Feb 22, 2007
Ask mainstream media (and/or Jack Thompson). If they don't know already, they will tell us soon enough precisely which games and in what way are responsible.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
WTF noob. Real Life is a multiplayer game, L2 MAKE FRIENDS!

Heh. I am, of course, kidding.

My guess is just "rowdy behaviour" or someone ninja'd someone else's epix.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Considering that this is china and china already has an internment camp for people who's blogs don't match the government's views(internet addiction clinic my ass) i wouldn't be suprised if the purpose of this fight was to get rid of a few youngsters with western ideas.