Five Great Movies About Videogames

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Five Great Movies About Videogames

Not all movies about videogames are terrible, you know.

Read Full Article

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
WarGames, what a classic! And I've got existnez recorded on the dvr so I'll be watching that one soon as well. I'm glad to see Gamer didn't make the list; neither the Gerard Butler version or the early-2000's French piece of crap.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Movies about video games aren't necessarily always bad, it's the movies based off of video games that seem to disappoint every single time. Those are some great ones you got there, though.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
the last starfighter was a great film. numerous times after watching it did i dream of something similar happening to me. the biggest tragedy was that they set this film up PERFECTLY for a sequel and they never made one.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
No, no, no, no, NO. eXistenZ was a TERRIBLE movie and I cannot believe I suffered through it. I spent most of it thinking "Why am I watching this?! EWW. EWW. EEEEWWW!"

It was terrible sci-fi and the director clearly enjoyed watching people cutting up lizard-things and then doing close-ups of the action. Not to mention having what is essentially USB ports in the back of your spine, as well as those "gaming consoles" looking like giant freaking nipples.

And the acting was crap. I felt so ashamed to like video games after the portrayal "gamers" got in that movie. Uuuuurrrgh.

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
So it's not an actual video game movie, but the entire time I was watching Eden Log (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1087842/) I couldn't help but draw parallels to how videogames unfold and the story - it was ripe for being made into or made from a videogame.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Thiosk taps his foot and waits for the reevaluation of the Mario Bros. movie.

Number 1 in bizarro world, number 1 everywhere!

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Mortal Kombat
King of Kong

Both of those movies are both good and not having them is making me question your opinion on films more than not having Chun-Li, Dragonball, or Disaster Movie as the worst movie of 09

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Eruanno said:
No, no, no, no, NO. eXistenZ was a TERRIBLE movie and I cannot believe I suffered through it. I spent most of it thinking "Why am I watching this?! EWW. EWW. EEEEWWW!"

And the acting was crap. I felt so ashamed to like video games after the portrayal "gamers" got in that movie. Uuuuurrrgh.
I absolutely second that. eXistenZ is not just bad, it's painful.

Should've been replaced by "The Thirteenth Floor". True, it has more the Matrix "Fake Reality" Angle, but still, it's very much like the ultimate Second Life-ish MMORPG

jvsquare

Jul 13, 2009
Another in the VR model is Avalon, a live-action film directed by Mamoru Oshii (of Akira and Ghost in the Shell fame) and filmed in Wrocław, Poland. Overall I preferred it to eXistenZ, though it is entirely in Polish and like his other films has a "Er, what happened?" ending.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I saw eXistenZ years ago and now that I know David Cronenberg directed it, it kind of makes more sense...still incredibly strange, but with a half-decent twist...

TheyTookOurJobs

Dec 22, 2009
I liked the Final Fantasy movie. I know it wasn't final fantasy andthere were some very dodgy moments but it was still good.

You also forgot Pokemon: The First Movie.

RestamSalucard

Feb 26, 2010
uppitycracker said:
Movies about video games aren't necessarily always bad, it's the movies based off of video games that seem to disappoint every single time. Those are some great ones you got there, though.
Yeah, I don't think anyone believes movies about Video games in general suck. It's just there's never been a good adaptation from a video game. But nice try anyway, Bob. I don't think there will ever be a good, non-anime adaptation of a video game; the differences in the medium are just too great.

Kinda sucks for me, as I can only watch anime when a comedian is dubbing over their lines to point out how ridiculous the medium is. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheAbridgedSeries]

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Other watchable "Video Game" Movies:

- Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children:
...it's a sequel to a video game, so yeah. The Story might be paper thin, but is tolerable, especially since the movie itself is an absolute audiovisual blast with great over-the-over-the-top-action. And i don't even like the game!

- Futurama: Benders Game
...okay, that one's about Pen and Paper RPGs more than anything. But most of the jokes definitely apply to videogames too.

- Crank
Come On! It doesn't even hide it! It might not be based on a Game, but it's story combines a premise of an arcade game on acid with the stupid, senseless fun of an open world action game like GTA and Saint's Row. And no movie captured this like that.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Never heard if a couple of them. May need to look into them!