Five Nights at Freddy's 4 Review - Change, Improve, Jumpscare

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Jan 20, 2011
Five Nights at Freddy's 4 Review - Change, Improve, Jumpscare

The final chapter of the series successfully mixes things up enough to succeed.

Read Full Article

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
All sounds pretty good, I might even pick it up myself, we shall see on that.

Also worth pointing out with the review, there is one line you used "They are not longer than ever before...". Is this a typo, or just an awkward phrasing, I can't actually tell.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Something I liked about this series: Despite the fact that three of them came out in one year, they all felt different enough to be fun.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I've enjoyed how different each installment has been in the series; it has felt like a nice progression without adding nonsensical features. I really loved the graphics in this newest one; it's nice to see the animatronics moving a bit without having them completely in our faces and ruining the mystique.

I agree that it could have used something like the cameras to add a little pacing rather than just panic all the time. I was watching a let's play and the stress was exhausting. I didn't see a lot of mini-games, but they always do end up being a little hard to find first time through. Also, I still have questions that I would like answered in regards to the story.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The final cutscene actually made me feel sick while maintaining the strict "no gore" thing the series kept. I was really impressed.

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Jan 20, 2011
Secret that you probably know by now, after you beat the game, including extra nights, go into the extras menu and type in 20/20/20/20 to unlock the secret night 8, the most difficult night. Beware though, its nigh impossible.

And Man

May 12, 2014
MyLifeIsAnRPG said:
The game is not without its flaws. The sounds in the game, despite being the main gameplay mechanic, are very quiet. This is an obvious attempt to make gamers turn up their volume in order to be even more terrified by jumpscares, but it comes off as more annoying than scary. It's a cheap attempt to make the game more frightening at the expense of gameplay.

While only relying on your ears to detect enemies in innovative, it also makes the game impossible to play for anyone who is deaf or hard of hearing. I have only a few minor hearing problems and I could barely hear the audio cues at all. If you don't have a stereo sound system you are similarly screwed, as you'll be unable to tell if an animatronic is coming at you from the left or right.
I checked out Jim Sterling's Squirty Play of FNAF4, and I noticed that there are faint visual clues when an animatronic is at a door. Compare this part. In the second one you can faintly see what I assume is a row of teeth.