fizsics: how does superman fly?

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
question for all the physics geeks and hardcore comic fans out there: how exactly does superman fly?
i'm assuming it's not magic but with my massive (limited) understanding of the laws of physics the best conclusion i can come up with is superman is propelled forward by way of the force of his superhuman farts....

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
The first result from googling the question:
If I remember correctly, Superman's powers come from the fact that Earth's sun is yellow and Krypton's sun was red. So he is supercharged by our sun's solar energy or something like that.

Also the quick search prioritized "how does Superman shave" over "how does Superman fly". Fun stuff.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Uh, yeah, well, whenever you notice something like that...a wizard did it.

Quoting Wikipedia on the matter though:

Lex Luthor once theorized that Superman had to stem from a gigantic planet with enormous gravity, where his species had developed natural anti-gravity organs to be able to function; on Earth, this would allow him to control his own gravimetric field in order to fly. (Cited as from issue #5 of the Birthright comic series)

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
The explanation we are given is that Krypton and its inhabitants are used to a stronger gravity. So, Earth, with its weaker gravity, allows for the Kryptonians to easy outperform humans int the physical aspect -- hence why Superman is so strong.

John Carter does the same thing. A human on Mars has much more strength because there's less gravity.

But controlling the flying? Never heard an explanation, and I'm not expecting any explanation to make sense. I don't think John Carter ever had flying, just superjumps everywhere.

But what do I know, I haven't read a second of John Carter and I don't like Superman.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
He farts a lot.

hazabaza1 said:
Also the quick search prioritized "how does Superman shave" over "how does Superman fly". Fun stuff.
I would assume that he takes a mirror, shoots his eye lasers at it and the beams get reflected onto his face, burning all the facial hair.
That's my theory.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
HardkorSB said:
He farts a lot.

hazabaza1 said:
I would assume that he takes a mirror, shoots his eye lasers at it and the beams get reflected onto his face, burning all the facial hair.
That's my theory.
It would appear you are correct.

That also happens to be the way that he performs brain surgery on himself.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Asita said:
Lex Luthor once theorized that Superman had to stem from a gigantic planet with enormous gravity, where his species had developed natural anti-gravity organs to be able to function; on Earth, this would allow him to control his own gravimetric field in order to fly. (Cited as from issue #5 of the Birthright comic series)
I'm not a biologist but I think that theory has a flaw - if Kryptonians did come from a high gracity planet, their bodies should have a different structure, I think. I.e., they won't look like humans.

I know I am questioning comic books logic which questions comic book logic but still - I felt I should throw it out there - who knows, maybe somebody who actually knows stuff may confirm or (more probably) deny my thoughts.

Little Woodsman said:
After years of intensive study he mastered the art of throwing himself at the ground...and *missing*!
Ah, yes, the knack for flying. I...I think you just won the thread.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Unless his body is somehow capable of warping the "fabric" of the universe (which can be done, but the only methods we know of take up huge expenditures of energy, and usually to the detriment of everything nearby), his ability to fly makes no sense from a physics standpoint. To put it in other terms, Superman must have a miniature warp drive similar to those used in Star Trek up his arse.

Bear in mind, the original superman could only make incredible jumps, but even there it doesn't quite fit, even discounting the effects of inertia on his own body. The force his legs would need to generate to make those leaps would cause considerable damage to whatever he had previously been standing on.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
DoPo said:
I'm not a biologist but I think that theory has a flaw - if Kryptonians did come from a high gracity planet, their bodies should have a different structure, I think. I.e., they won't look like humans.
You'd certainly think so, wouldn't you? Also kinda hits a roadblock by way of yellow sunlight being integral to superman's powers, flight included, which would seem to dictate that the hypothetical organs wouldn't properly function on krypton. Ultimately though the problems with the idea can be explained away as nothing more than an educated (but still wrong) guess on Luthor's part.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I can explain how he regulates his speed while flying as well as why he can fly. I think it's some kind of extremely limited telekinesis power that only works on his own body.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
He has mastered chi manipulation by training with Master Roshi, duh!

I always assumed that it was some sort of electromagnetic thing caused by his particular biology's reaction to our yellow spectrum solar radiation. Like Magneto, only with light. He can store an enormous amount of energy in his body, like an almost incalculable amount of energy. It can be released most quickly from his eyes, well because.

Perhaps he can fly by the process of light hitting and passing through his body creates a kind of lift, and he can accelerate the process through force of will. He could have a super nova's power inside of him and it shoots out from beneath him as invisible forms of light like ultraviolet or xray. Which also shoot from his eyes.

Or perhaps its just chain farting and merely a form of jet propulsion.

I find Dazen Guile's method of flight to be far more easily explainable. Its magic, yet its mechanical, yet its made out of light. He literally rides a rainbow lol

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
The actual flying doesn't really make any sense at all. In the recent movie it shows him starting out with some matrix jumps, which make "sense" given the lack of gravity on earth compared to what his body was bred for... but that's really all he should be able to do. The planet still *does* have gravity, so he shouldn't just be magically immune to it.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
maybe because that was a series of Gilette ads/science promotions.

<youtube=J-u1680Anhw>
<youtube=Y8wYUONEygk>

Quite a good one too.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
The first result from googling the question:
If I remember correctly, Superman's powers come from the fact that Earth's sun is yellow and Krypton's sun was red. So he is supercharged by our sun's solar energy or something like that.
...And thus, by extension, the only way that "supercharging" would result in flight would be the fact that atomic charging aligns all your atoms... thus turning you into a very powerful magnet.

So if Superman was able to control his electrons (and why not?) then he would magnetically repel from the ground.

TL:DR: F***ing magnets, how do they work

ALTERNATIVELY: Superman is actually very easily distracted, and can thus distract himself when throwing himself at the ground, causing him to miss.

Apr 5, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
I wish Reel Physics were still around. Those guys would be able to explain it.
You mean they aren't? I like that show :-(

OT, I would assume from a physics perspective, that he can subconciously manipulate his body's weight and density. He can become harder and heavier than almost anything, rendering himself immovable and bulletproof. He can also make himself lighter than air and thus able to fly, if not float. Never read the comics though I liked the Christopher Reeves movies. Either that, or he's capable of projecting a force greater than his own weight which provides propulsion, though would obviously have the unfortunate effect of sending nearby people and debris (lighter than him) flying the opposite direction.