Flappy Birds is Back- But Only On the Amazon App Store

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Flappy Birds is Back- But Only On the Amazon App Store

You heard right- Flappy Bird is back.

After Flappy Bird disappeared [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132161-Flappy-Bird-Creator-Pulled-Game-Because-it-Was-Too-Addictive] from App Stores last fall, the popular Flash game has made its return. Today, Dong Nguyen re-released the game via his .Gears studio exclusively on the Amazon Appstore for Android devices. This version includes several new features- including multiplayer mode, more obstacles, and ghosts.

The free game is playable on Amazon's new Kindle Fire TV and is compatible with its game controller. Players now press a button instead of tapping a touch screen to navigate the bird through the level. It is unclear how much longer the game will remain an Amazon exclusive before making the jump to Apple's Appstore and Google Play.

Nguyen, who is based in Hanoi, released Flappy Bird back in 2013 on iOS. He reportedly made tens of thousands of dollars from advertising revenue, and eventually pulled the game from the market after it became increasingly popular- claiming his decision was based on its "addictive nature". After that, the developer hid himself from the media- claiming that his newfound popularity caused him emotional distress.

"It happened to become an addictive product. I think it has become a problem," said Nguyen. "My life has not been as comfortable as I was before. I couldn't sleep."

The game's description reads, "Flappy Birds now are on Amazon Fire TV with incredible new features: Person vs Person mode, more obstacles, more fun and still very hard. Enjoy playing the game at home (not breaking your TV) with your family and friends."

It is unknown exactly when Flappy Bird will become available through other means of digital distribution.

Excited Flappy Bird is back? Express your emotions in the comments.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/1/5960051/flappy-birds-family-app-multiplayer]

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
For many the day Flappy Bird graced their phones was the most important day of their lives, but for me, it was tuesday.

So are people still into this thing?
Or have they just been trying to forget that those incredibly embarrassing few weeks of nonsensical hysteria ever happened.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
A line from the MST3K movie sums up my feelings perfectly: Whoopity-shit.

Can Amazon apps be played on smartphones? I admit that I know nothing about them. Yet, people will find any reason to sit there and tap-tap-tap their phones all day long.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I put a good 2 hours or so into it, but it really wasn't much of a game. Once you got the feel for the controls down, there wasn't anything to stop you other than just a screw up with your rhythmic tapping. The obstacles never got smaller or more complex, and nothing you did would change the way your bird flew. It was good for passing time, but I have a lot of other games that do that better on my tablet.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ten Foot Bunny said:
A line from the MST3K movie sums up my feelings perfectly: Whoopity-shit.

Can Amazon apps be played on smartphones? I admit that I know nothing about them. Yet, people will find any reason to sit there and tap-tap-tap their phones all day long.
Some apps can, some are Fire only. Given no device on my list is compatible, I'm guessing this is Fire only.

A mild shame. After all the hype and stuff, I was mildly curious and was going to check it out. But the lack of capability to play it doesn't really hurt me. Especially if it's because I don't have a fire. Because to hell with that.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
TizzytheTormentor said:
I hope this gets as popular as Angry Birds and gets a TV show and clothing line, just to see the utter over-reaction of hatred from people.
Nah. I'm saving all my over-reaction and hatred for that Kim Kardashian abomination.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
wait so why are they selling this game that has hundred of free clones again? that would be like somone deciding to sell solitaire.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
I played it a little bit once, and it wasn't much of a game, but it was something at least. Also, at least it isn't filled with abominations such as you can only play 3 times, wait an hour, or pay $2 to get another 3 tries. It still surprises me that it became such a huge thing. Now a game that should be played is starwhals, where you play as Narwhals in space and try to stab each other in the heart.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Strazdas said:
wait so why are they selling this game that has hundred of free clones again? that would be like somone deciding to sell solitaire.
Or Tetris. Or Pac-Man. Or Mario (platformers have become a whole genre!)

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Steve the Pocket said:
Strazdas said:
Or Tetris. Or Pac-Man. Or Mario (platformers have become a whole genre!)
Yes, Tetis or Pac-man are good examples too.

Mario is different though as it has always been nintendo property that noone was allowed to replicate for free and you could never just type it in google and play it.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Strazdas said:
Mario is different though as it has always been nintendo property that noone was allowed to replicate for free and you could never just type it in google and play it.
Neither were Tetris or Pac-Man. That didn't stop other people from making them and calling them something else. Super Mario clones were so popular that they became their own genre - side-scrolling platformers.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Steve the Pocket said:
Strazdas said:
Neither were Tetris or Pac-Man. That didn't stop other people from making them and calling them something else. Super Mario clones were so popular that they became their own genre - side-scrolling platformers.
only as much as FPS genre are all Doom clones.