Flash Game Makes Players Beat Up "Tropes vs. Women" Creator

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
rbstewart7263 said:
Rainboq said:
Zaik said:
I'm inclined to agree that it was little more than a scam, but I don't really see how you can blame her that there are gullible retards that will throw money at a perceived injustice to feel better about themselves.

Were it not for the legal nonsense involved with kickstarters, I'd probably run a similar scam just to teach dumb people a lesson.
How is it a scam? She wanted to make a series of videos, she needed the funds to do so and she asked people for the funds on Kickstarter. The amount she got is pretty staggering, but she's promised to really increase the size of the series to use up all the money.

OT: And this is why we can't have nice things. -_-
go watch her videos on the inherent sexism in christmas songs her bayonetta video, her kanyes monster video.

she overreaches and is not the woman to tackle such a problem only exacerbate it.
I watched it, and I don't see the problem, her viewpoints are her own, and if she wants to express them and people support her, I fail to see the problem.

captcha: you're not listening, the cause of all this madness -_-

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Rainboq said:
How is it a scam? She wanted to make a series of videos, she needed the funds to do so and she asked people for the funds on Kickstarter.
No. You don't need funds to think.

She clearly already has the camera equipment and the games. She can upload her video for free on youtube and make money directly off it now an forever from the lowest level of advertisements. She doesn't need even $6'000. She just needs to DO IT!

Look on this thread and you'll see people are giving her sympathy money, just because they are fooled by her hysterically over-reacting to some hate mail. And EVERY WELL KNOWN PERSON get hate mail, no exception. And they have always gotten hate mail, long before the internet, just now it is called trolling for how it affects wider breadth of people.

Nov 5, 2007
Treblaine said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Tenmar said:
It's always been something that bothered me... Nintendo magazine started using half naked models in their magazine in the 90's I complained so did a few others but their response was bascially 'Lol girls don't play video games'

I have had to put up with that crap for 30 odd years. In that time the only female characters that I have been able to relate to have been Lara Croft (who is arguably still massively sexualised) and Jennifer from Primal.

I was bullied and called a 'lesbian' at school for liking video games....

As for the Hitman trailer there was no reason for those women to be in those outfits other than titillation, they are sex objects and that is the problem I have with it.
"put up with this crap"

It's called tolerance. I'm sorry you are so unaccepting and intolerant of women showing their body, but that is your problem.
Those women did not choose to dress like this, they were designed this way by MALE devs to cater to other MALE gamers.

Feminists don't have a problem with sexy women, just with the exploitation of female sexuality.

Also, to those saying you don't need money to make research: fuck off. You obviously never did any university level academic research, cause trust me, you need money to do that.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ShadowKirby said:
Treblaine said:
Tenmar said:
It's always been something that bothered me... Nintendo magazine started using half naked models in their magazine in the 90's I complained so did a few others but their response was bascially 'Lol girls don't play video games'

I have had to put up with that crap for 30 odd years. In that time the only female characters that I have been able to relate to have been Lara Croft (who is arguably still massively sexualised) and Jennifer from Primal.

I was bullied and called a 'lesbian' at school for liking video games....

As for the Hitman trailer there was no reason for those women to be in those outfits other than titillation, they are sex objects and that is the problem I have with it.
"put up with this crap"

It's called tolerance. I'm sorry you are so unaccepting and intolerant of women showing their body, but that is your problem.
Those women did not choose to dress like this, they were designed this way by MALE devs to cater to other MALE gamers.

Feminists don't have a problem with sexy women, just with the exploitation of female sexuality.

Also, to those saying you don't need money to make research: fuck off. You obviously never did any university level academic research, cause trust me, you need money to do that.
No. The character chose to dress that way in that story. As do women IN THE REAL WORLD. Go outside and you'll see women everywhere baring their arms and legs like Lara Croft. Why are you trying to escape the fiction that the world is set in, why does it matter what gender the writer is or who plays the game? There is NO REASON. It's an utterly hollow attack.

There is no exploitation. Art and the media do not have to suffer under such censorship as to capitulate to entire aspects of the human condition made completely off limits, like showing that females actually have bodies rather than just an amorphous shape under a Burka.

I can't comment on all feminists, they are too diverging in views, but Ms Sarkeesian has been explicit, consistent, unwavering and repetitive in her attack on all female sexuality no matter how it is depicted in the most minor ways. Also Moonlight Butterfly has repeatedly denigrated women for appearing sexual.

"Also, to those saying you don't need money to make research: fuck off."

You'll regret saying that.

All she needs in a membership to a game rental service on top of the hundreds of games she ALREADY owns as demonstrated in her Kickstarter video. Google is free. Youtube is free. Libraries are cheap. She already has her degree. I have seen the quality of research in her final dissertation. She does not need access to a special library that costs even close to $6'000.

She is not touring the country dragging and advanced camera and sound crew in making a documentary. She is making a video analysis and she has demonstrated she ALREADY HAS THAT EQUIPMENT!

Gothproxy

Mar 20, 2009
Phasmal said:
The worst thing about this is that I'm not at all surprised.
Actually, I was VERY surprised at the sheer number of misogynistic comments that were targeted at this woman and her project. It actually makes me embarrassed to be:

A-- A Male
B-- A Gamer
C-- A Male Gamer (wait a sec....nvm)

As much as modern technology has evolved to allow us to socially interact to greater degrees, it's pitiful how social standards and common beliefs haven't evolved at all (if they haven't, in fact, digressed).

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
This thread is too long. I should not have read it. Now I feel I must utilize this sacrifice I have made. Someone in thread, and I'll be damned if I try and find that post, made mention of Jennifer Hepler, and how she wouldn't have gotten as much shit is she were a guy. To that, I say bullshit. Look at Ebert and the shit he gets for his comments on games. Replace her with some hipster dude, and I think he probably would've gotten just as much, albeit different, shit.

If you don't mind the stance she has, fine. If you think the degree that people on the internet take things when they hate the stance of someone who makes sequels to games they love, fine. But don't defend them solely based on their gender, because you think it's great she's a female working in games. As far as I'm concerned, that's demeaning as fuck to women working in the games industry that are awesome. You're better off spreading the word about someone awesome in games, like Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda, then defending someone so disliked unless you generally like what she's done and agree with her. (On a side note, good game writers in general need more exposure.)

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Treblaine said:
Rainboq said:
How is it a scam? She wanted to make a series of videos, she needed the funds to do so and she asked people for the funds on Kickstarter.

She clearly already has the camera equipment and the games. She can upload her video for free on youtube and make money directly off it now an forever from the lowest level of advertisements. She doesn't need even $6'000. She just needs to DO IT!

Look on this thread and you'll see people are giving her sympathy money, just because they are fooled by her hysterically over-reacting to some hate mail. And EVERY WELL KNOWN PERSON get hate mail, no exception. And they have always gotten hate mail, long before the internet, just now it is called trolling for how it affects wider breadth of people.
That's a lot of projection on your part. She needed the money to do all the things we need as mortals, things like food during the production, electricity costs, paying for the rights academic papers on the subject, travel expenses for interviews, renting the filming space. And I've read the thread, and what people do with their money is up to them.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
HigherTomorrow said:
Buretsu said:
What's wrong with being portrayed as a sexy person? Why does 'sexy' automatically override 'person'?
Because they don't have a personality of their own they are just there to pose and act sexually for the guys.

It's called pandering.
Creating a female character designed specifically to meet your quality standards of female character design would too be considered pandering.

So pandering is only okay when it works in your favor?
Pandering is okay when its not totally sexist and offensive. :p
That's circular logic.

You say sexy is sexist (overrides the 'person') because of the pandering, the pandering makes it bad, but you are actually fine with pandering to YOUR tastes.

Just accept that your opinion is entirely based on your personal prejudice and unreasonable intolerance of depiction of female sexuality. What is the REAL issue here. You can't make a sound argument, please don't be so disingenuous, be honest, speak from your heart why you hate it when you see sexual women.

You mentioned bullying in school, I was bullied and I didn't realise how much it completely fucked me up. It took a lot of soul searching to realise why I hated many of the things I did, I spent more time coming up with convenient rationalisations than actually addressing the root of my reasoning.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Rainboq said:
Treblaine said:
Rainboq said:

That's a lot of projection on your part. She needed the money to do all the things we need as mortals, things like food during the production, electricity costs, paying for the rights academic papers on the subject, travel expenses for interviews, renting the filming space. And I've read the thread, and what people do with their money is up to them.
Kickstarter is not used to fund peoples lives, if she were to touch a single cent of that fund & use it for ramen noodles, she would be committing fraud. Why? Because she took the money to make a video series, not to keep her alive while she did it. It was not to fund her life, it was to fund her project. Kickstarter guidelines below.
1. Funding for projects only.
A project has a clear goal, like making an album, a book, or a work of art. A project will eventually be completed, and something will be produced by it. A project is not open-ended. Starting a business, for example, does not qualify as a project.
2. Projects must fit Kickstarter?s categories.
We currently support projects in the categories of Art, Comics, Dance, Design, Fashion, Film, Food, Games, Music, Photography, Publishing, Technology, and Theater.
Design and Technology projects have a few additional guidelines. If your project is in either of these categories, be sure to review them carefully.
View Design and Technology requirements
3. Prohibited uses:
No charity or cause funding. Examples of prohibited use include raising money for the Red Cross, funding an awareness campaign, funding a scholarship, or promoting the donation of funds raised, or future profits, to a charity or cause.
No "fund my life" projects. Examples include projects to pay tuition or bills, go on vacation, or buy a new camera.
Prohibited content. There are some things we just don't allow on Kickstarter.
None of the things I mentioned fall under the "fund my life" category, they meerly fall under production costs, perhaps I should have been more explicit when I said food, which would mean catering for the cast and crew, electricity, because when you're running lights, you need electricity. Also, for all we know, she could be using actual film, which costs money but has a higher resolution than digital.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Rainboq said:
Treblaine said:
Rainboq said:

You don't know what projection is. Explaining basic realities of expenses with no reference to personal feelings is not projection.

She has a big apartment, excellent quality HD camera, huge HDTV, multiple consoles and superfluous wii-wote charging cradle and huge game collection... she does not need to beg for money for the upkeep. She flouts her wealth and asks us to pay her bills.

Her kickstarter was for an analytical video series looking at video games, not a documentary with interviews and thousands of hours of on scene filming and professional editing and sound correction. She just has to stop and think, look at the games, then write a script to read to camera.

MILLIONS of people who are much poorer do this for FREE without kickstarter! Look, she is making this in INSTALMENTS, that means she can uploaded on youtube or blip video of her first video and put a non-conflicting ads up and money to help keep her afloat.

Where is the transparency in this project? Where is the money going? Are we going to discover when we see here driving around in a new sports car? Absolutely NO WAY of proving where the money came from, their her personal wealth or from embezzling her Kickstarter fund and there is zero transparency.

She doesn't need any kickstarter money for this, she just needs to DO IT!

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Rainboq said:
Rainboq said:
Treblaine said:
Rainboq said:

Kickstarter is not used to fund peoples lives, if she were to touch a single cent of that fund & use it for ramen noodles, she would be committing fraud. Why? Because she took the money to make a video series, not to keep her alive while she did it. It was not to fund her life, it was to fund her project. Kickstarter guidelines below.
1. Funding for projects only.
A project has a clear goal, like making an album, a book, or a work of art. A project will eventually be completed, and something will be produced by it. A project is not open-ended. Starting a business, for example, does not qualify as a project.
2. Projects must fit Kickstarter?s categories.
We currently support projects in the categories of Art, Comics, Dance, Design, Fashion, Film, Food, Games, Music, Photography, Publishing, Technology, and Theater.
Design and Technology projects have a few additional guidelines. If your project is in either of these categories, be sure to review them carefully.
View Design and Technology requirements
3. Prohibited uses:
No charity or cause funding. Examples of prohibited use include raising money for the Red Cross, funding an awareness campaign, funding a scholarship, or promoting the donation of funds raised, or future profits, to a charity or cause.
No "fund my life" projects. Examples include projects to pay tuition or bills, go on vacation, or buy a new camera.
Prohibited content. There are some things we just don't allow on Kickstarter.
None of the things I mentioned fall under the "fund my life" category, they meerly fall under production costs, perhaps I should have been more explicit when I said food, which would mean catering for the cast and crew, electricity, because when you're running lights, you need electricity. Also, for all we know, she could be using actual film, which costs money but has a higher resolution than digital.
Those would count as paying bills since she is running this from her home. her video series is in the same venue as her previous tropes VS women, so cast is her Crew is anyone that can stand behind the camera & tell her its set properly. Also, catering is rather mute since it would not take multiple days of shooting to complete a video. Shes making the series for youtube. She will very likely continue on digital using the gear she already has. Electrical bills for her own home should come out of her own pocket, she clearly has a job already.

But we can stop speculating, i contacted CS for Kickstarter & asked them. We should hear back before days end.
Fair enough. Although my bet is the majority of the money is for access to academic papers and similar expenses.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
700th* post SPECTACULAR. Lets have a summary of all that has been discussed so far:

-It has been established that Ms Sarkeesian's main concern is her hatred of female sexuality being seen by her or anyone.
-It has been established that Ms Sarkeesian holds all gamers and the entire video games industry accountable for the minority who sent hate mail, to spite the support from most gamers, and how every famous person in history has received hate-mail
-It has not been established that there is any inherentproblem with depiction of female sexuality
-It has been established that female sexuality is not at odds with dominance, power or ability to progress the plot
-Females being sexy DOES NOT make them "less of a person" to spite how some might express a prejudice otherwise
-We have established that all segregation is wrong, just as racial segregation is racist, sex segregation is sexist.
-Ms Sarkeesian supports such Segregation
-Ms Sarkeesian doesn't need close to $160'000 for such a project
-Ms Sarkeesian has a critical lack of transparency in her project that takes in a vast amount of money
-Sarkeesian blames sexy adverts for sexual abuse on public transport
-Sarkeesian refuses to address the criticisms against her to spite taking the time to give Trolls attention they do not deserve
-Sex-Negative Prejudice is NOT a form of feminism
-Feminism is about empowering and enabling women, not saying that they can't show their skin.
-Sexy does not mean "sex object". Sex object is defined by how they lack all qualities of agency and only sex, not that there is any sexualisation.
-Sarkeesian is not the first person to ever be subject of a beat-up game, but also the past two MALE Presidents of the United States, that makes this NOT singling out for sexism.

*Ninjad!

twohundredpercent

Dec 20, 2011
So the fuck what. They made one where you beat up Avril Lavigne and Jigglypuff. And they took it down. Why's this even an issue? Why's this even an article? But I guess somebody probably went "Hey you know what this forum needs? More teenage boys whining about how everything's going to shit and how they've lost faith in humanity and want to kill everyone and post approximately 20 pics of Professor Farnsworth from Futurama saying he doesn't want to live on this planet anymore."

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Treblaine said:
Rainboq said:
Treblaine said:
Rainboq said:

You don't know what projection is. Explaining basic realities of expenses with no reference to personal feelings is not projection.

She has a big apartment, excellent quality HD camera, huge HDTV, multiple consoles and superfluous wii-wote charging cradle and huge game collection... she does not need to beg for money for the upkeep. She flouts her wealth and asks us to pay her bills.

Her kickstarter was for an analytical video series looking at video games, not a documentary with interviews and thousands of hours of on scene filming and professional editing and sound correction. She just has to stop and think, look at the games, then write a script to read to camera.

MILLIONS of people who are much poorer do this for FREE without kickstarter! Look, she is making this in INSTALMENTS, that means she can uploaded on youtube or blip video of her first video and put a non-conflicting ads up and money to help keep her afloat.

Where is the transparency in this project? Where is the money going? Are we going to discover when we see here driving around in a new sports car? Absolutely NO WAY of proving where the money came from, their her personal wealth or from embezzling her Kickstarter fund and there is zero transparency.

She doesn't need any kickstarter money for this, she just needs to DO IT!
You make a series of videos at her levels of production and research with a budget of zero dollars and then your argument will have some validity in my eyes. Also, hyperbole isn't useful when making an argument, please knock it off.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Rainboq said:
Fair enough. Although my bet is the majority of the money is for access to academic papers and similar expenses.
Academic papers are published, they are very cheap and often free to access.

She is making a VIDEO SERIES! She just needs to cite sources and no point in citing sources that people need to spend, the abstract is all she'd ever need that to cite and that is always freely available on the internet.

But in all her video series so far she has not given adequate sources, she has posted statistics... without sources. As with her analysis of Bayonetta she just says "a survey" and "another survey".

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Rainboq said:
You make a series of videos at her levels of production and research with a budget of zero dollars and then your argument will have some validity in my eyes. Also, hyperbole isn't useful when making an argument, please knock it off.
You see how long my post are? How many I have made? The sources I have provided? I have a camera built into my laptop, I just have to read them out.

A HD camera and professional lighting is utterly superfluous to the message. And she has demonstrated in her kick-starter drive she ALREADY has the camera, and lighting and set. All you need is just needs open-office powerpoint creator and fraps - free programes - to record a sequence covering the relevant point.

She might need a HD capture card, but they are less than $100 and it functions for decades. She doesn't need kickstarter.

I used no hyperbole, you are again misusing words as pejoratives.